Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

I've been TurboChipped!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Dan

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3
I've been TurboChipped!

Well, just before Christmas I decided to treat myself and I got the D3 chipped by Chris at TurboChip. Very Happy

The difference is very noticeable... I previously had a plug-in box on my TD4 Freelander and this made no difference; the TurboChip is so much better.

I think it makes the car more driveable overall. My main gripe previously was the 60-80mph time on A roads and motorways; if the speed drops to 60 and then you wanted to accelerate back up to 70mph and above the car always seemed lethargic unless you kicked down to fifth (mines an auto). Now it sprints back up the speedo and remains in sixth gear.

As an added bonus the car is also more economical to the tune of about 2mpg.

I'd definitely recommend it! Oh and the insurance only wanted an extra £40...

Dan

Post #357003rd Jan 2006 10:40 am
Raymond

Hi Dan

What is your insurance company, I am having problems with Land Rover insurance reguarding having turbochip upgrade my car. Their line at the moment is that it is totally forbidden !!, although they are away to check as I pointed out that no physical change to parts, chips etc takes place and that it is simply a case of remapping what is allready there.

Post #357153rd Jan 2006 2:41 pm
Dan

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

Raymond wrote:
Hi Dan

What is your insurance company, I am having problems with Land Rover insurance reguarding having turbochip upgrade my car. Their line at the moment is that it is totally forbidden !!, although they are away to check as I pointed out that no physical change to parts, chips etc takes place and that it is simply a case of remapping what is allready there.

Hi Raymond

I was with Land Rover until my renewal in October when I changed to the AA; I believe my policy is underwritten by Sun Alliance. I know LR insurance is good but they wanted nearly £300 more than the AA!

Hope that helps.

Dan

Post #357233rd Jan 2006 3:14 pm
kolind

Denmark 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3
TurboChip in Denmark ?

Hi There,

I'm new to this forum but I already discovered some very interesting discussions !
I would like to know if somebody could inform about getting a D3 TurboChip in Denmark - have tried their website but it seems they have no sales rep here ?

Please inform Smile

BR

Torben Kolind LR Discovery 3 HSE

Post #357823rd Jan 2006 8:04 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Slimer
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

Welcome to DISCO3 Thumbs Up

I'm sure TC will be along shortly to advise you if he's got a man (or woman?) in Denmark that can help

Si
 The End  
Post #357843rd Jan 2006 8:09 pm
kolind

Denmark 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Thanks Slimer !

By the way we don't have any probs with the issurance companies here in DK. But the Goverment dosn't like if you go above 20 % of normal HP...

Looking forward to get some info on the TurboChip !

Have also been looking at a German company - Wetterauer - but they are Germans, well you know what I mean..
Wink

BR

Torben

Post #357873rd Jan 2006 8:22 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
BrianX

Location: Bolton UK - it may be 'grim up north' but at least you get gravy on yer' chips.

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

You might want to have a look through this thread Wink
http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2329
 '
'
'05 Disco3 TDV6 - gone
'06 Disco3 TDV6 - gone
'08 Freelander 2 - gone
'98 P38 V8/LPG - gone
'02 L322 V8 - gone
'02 Freelander 1 - gone
'05 Disco 3 TDV6 - SWMBO
'06 L322 V8 - current

Post #357893rd Jan 2006 8:48 pm
LaroTDV6

Denmark 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Hi Kolind

I've seen this compagny that offers an upgrade for the RRS/D3 TDV6, and a speed-unlimiter kit. The compagny is also german, but seams to bee pretty much in to Land Rovers. The danish Dakar-compeditor Reedtz-Thott drove a Matzker-prepared Defender 90 Td5 upgraded to 200 HP/400NM. Shocked

You can see the upgrade kits here:

http://www.matzker.de/advanced_search_resu...2&y=11

Matzkers danish rep is Team Bertelsen in Galten, Aarhus: http://www.team-bertelsen.dk/tdv6%2Dtuning/

Hope you can use this.

MFi

Post #358553rd Jan 2006 11:00 pm
THUB

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 TDV6 HSE Auto Nara BronzeDiscovery 4
Turbo chipping.

I wonder if a newcomer can ask for some views on the matter of Chipping and the effect on the Discovery 3 as a tow car. I find that although the D3 overall tows my 1700 kgs caravan better than 3 previous Discoverys (Discoveries?) the auto box has atendency to drop down from 6 to 5 more frequently than on my TD5 and certainly more frequently than I imagined would be the case. A couple of caravan magazines did report that "the gearbox seems unable to make up its mind" A two day test drive towing the van for part of the time seemed to dispute the caravan magazine's comments. I suspect that the cause may be the smaller power/speed bands on a 6 speed box relative to a 5 speed box?
Has anyone, with a chipped Discovery 3, towed a reasonably heavy van and noticed any difference. With the D3 in standard form I have noticed a marked improvement in fuel consumption, middle to high 20's compared with very low 20's or even lower on the TD5
I have read all the comments regarding chipping but this particular aspect seems to have not been mentioned.

Post #358583rd Jan 2006 11:27 pm
simon

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

THUB,

good point. I think TC will be able to come back on this. TC should understand the ways of the 'box and how their extra torque affects the gear changes etc.

All I want is a manual that does not try to stall when pulling away in H 1st on a very steep slope. L 1st will just pull but H 1st you need to slip the clutch. Also trying to pull away on H 2 in the snow (as per Message Centre suggestion) is very hard without slipping the clutch.

-s

Post #358593rd Jan 2006 11:31 pm
graemem

Scotland 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

simon wrote:
THUB,

good point. I think TC will be able to come back on this. TC should understand the ways of the 'box and how their extra torque affects the gear changes etc.

All I want is a manual that does not try to stall when pulling away in H 1st on a very steep slope. L 1st will just pull but H 1st you need to slip the clutch. Also trying to pull away on H 2 in the snow (as per Message Centre suggestion) is very hard without slipping the clutch.

-s

I agree, infact it is next to impossible. That said, when I did my LR Experience day it did it in their manual like a dream. My car still jumps around at low rev and low gear as well so is a nightmare in traffic and will ultimately end up wearing the clutch down quicker.

Post #359364th Jan 2006 5:13 pm
Slimer
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

simon wrote:

Si, take a drive in my D3 tonight for comparisson
 The End  
Post #359484th Jan 2006 6:07 pm
10forcash

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

or mine... Wink

Post #359824th Jan 2006 10:30 pm
simon

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

10forcash wrote:
or mine... Wink

And you were there of course impersonating the invisible gin drinking man !

Si... too many beers to really judge the difference... Shocked

And thanks for nearly buying me a beer !

We'll invade 10's gaff in the near furture as he cannot be bothered to come and meet us Laughing

Post #360195th Jan 2006 3:54 am
THUB

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 TDV6 HSE Auto Nara BronzeDiscovery 4
Re-chipping/Re-mapping?

I have read most of the comments on re-chipping and I am very tempted to have it done. Spoke to Land Rover Insurance who wanted £300+ increase in premium. I have had a good quote from Sabre Insurance in Dorking. Anyone had any experience of them?
Whilst browsing round last night I came acroos another re-chipping/re-mapping Co called Autologic and/or Diagnos(e?) They are in Watlington in Oxfordshire. They are offering very similar increases to TC, money almost the same as well. Similar question really, anyone with experience or knowlege of them? Thanks for any comments

Post #3788017th Jan 2006 4:38 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >