Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Africa

OT - inverter
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Deondef

South Africa 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3
OT - inverter

I have a Waeco 500w inverter which powers the TV, PVR, DVD and one or two lights during load shedding. It also charged my previous laptop with no hassle. During the week-end I discovered that it will not charge my new laptop (Acer Travelmate 5320). Thought that the invertor may be faulty, but on return checked it again on "load shedding mode" and it works fine. Not much use to cart this invertor around in the vehicle if it cannot charge my laptop.

Funny thing - I have an inverter at our week-end place as well - a very old Ellies 300w which charged the laptop .

Any thoughts, ideas, suggestions from the techno boffins ??
 Erstwhile - D3 S '07. Dual battery system. Upgraded tow hitch. Mantec skid plate. Frontrunner rr. Tmax double headed built in compressor

Defender TD5 110 CSW '00. "With everything" 

Post #3412228th Sep 2008 7:08 am
Atacama

South Africa 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Atacama SandDiscovery 3

Are you using the same charger?

My one is quite stroppy .

Post #3412598th Sep 2008 9:26 am
Baben

South Africa 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

If you are using a switch-mode power supply for your notebook (which will normally be the case - ie. the power supply is small and light), it could have something to do with the huge inrush current the device needs to start up. You might find that the inverter shuts down as you plug in the power supply. The later model inverters are made to supply more than double their rated current at startup for this very reason.
try plugging in the power supply before you plug it into the notebook. It might work.

Alternatively, I can recommend a DC power supply I bought at Zakspeed in Woodmead. It plugs into the lighter socket and supplies about 4A at up to 21VDC. Comes with a full set of tip adaptors for the popular PC types. Very small and light. I never go anywhere without it. I think it cost less than R200.

Post #3412828th Sep 2008 10:56 am
Deondef

After some more research found that the Waeco is rated at 50Hz whilst my laptop charger is rated at 50-60Hz. Maybe this could be it. Although I doubt whether my old 300w inverter is rated higher than 50Hz.

What the hell is this Hz thing anyway Question
 Erstwhile - D3 S '07. Dual battery system. Upgraded tow hitch. Mantec skid plate. Frontrunner rr. Tmax double headed built in compressor

Post #3414598th Sep 2008 6:40 pm
TazDaz

United Kingdom 

I wonder what type of inverter it is? Model/make/number?
An inverter with sinusoidal output voltage is absolutely fine for many applications, but some devices place higher demands on the quality of the supply voltage.
They require a pure sine wave voltage - your inverter may not produce this.

Post #3414768th Sep 2008 7:05 pm
Deondef

Baben wrote:
I
try plugging in the power supply before you plug it into the notebook. It might work.

It worked Exclamation Exclamation

Changed my mind - Baben, you can join us on future trips as part of the holiday kit ............... can you cook as well Question Question

Post #3416589th Sep 2008 5:39 am
Baben

South Africa 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

would love to join you guys, but i never want to share the roofrack with heine again....

Seriously though, pure logic deon. Have you noticed you often get a spark when you plug the ac adaptor into a household outlet? Thats the inrush current.

By the way 50hz is the frequency of the ac output , which is standard in european countries at 220 to 240volts. 60hz is standard in american countries at 110 to 120volts. You can ignore this unless you are using really old electronics.
Most important is the power output rating of the inverter in Watts or VA (volt -amps), which should ideally be more than 50% higher than the device you want to drive for the reasons of inrush current etc., seeing as you never really know whether the manufacturer rates their power supply in terms of average or peak/max power consumption.

Most modern notebook and cellphone supplies will be able to handle either or anything in between. A switch-mode power supply is not very selective about what the input is anyway.

Post #3416609th Sep 2008 5:51 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >