Blue 

Last edited by DiscoDuck on 1st Jan 2006 8:04 pm. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #355231st Jan 2006 8:01 pm
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 
Re: Very cold in Austria!

DiscoDuck wrote:
[url]http://www.disco3.co.uk/gallery/displayimage.php?album=lastup&cat=10041&pos=0

Just back Skiing - very cold starts - will add more tomorrow, see pic![/url]

Maybe you could pinch the lead in this thread? minus 16 to beat.
http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1894

Post #355241st Jan 2006 8:04 pm
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

http://www.disco3.co.uk/gallery/displayima...&pos=0

Ahh you have the record!

Post #355251st Jan 2006 8:07 pm
DiscoDuck

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Baltic BlueDiscovery 4

When starting the car I waited until the heater coil light went off then cranked. The car then ran for a couple of seconds and stopped. after 6 or 7 goes it finally ran correctly. Cranking past the stall it did not fire. Reading the manual once the weather had warmed up it says you need to keep cranking for up to 30 seconds! Any one have better experience as to which works best? (using BP Ultimate purchased in the alps) Temp in the car port was nearer -20 not -23.
 D4 HSE
Blue 

Post #356122nd Jan 2006 8:10 pm
simon

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

And how did she handle in the snow and ice ? What tyres - stock or special studded ?

cheers

-s

Post #356132nd Jan 2006 8:16 pm
DiscoDuck

D3 was in its element.

I was a little worried about too many short trips with lights and heated this and that to feel the battery could take the FBH for ½ hour!

A smug feeling came over me when the Audi that overtook me in heavy snowfall stuffed his car straight on into a snowdrift just as my wife was tut tuting at his excessive speed!

I took my £100 chains from my old TD5 modified (to fit the 19in rims with scorpions) with some stainles steel shackles. They fit well and have tested them on my drive but never in anger. The driving in Hinterglemm was not a problem as the packed snow/ice seemed to have some grip as other cars with chains seem to grind the surface so it is not polished ice.
 D4 HSE
Blue 

Post #356152nd Jan 2006 8:26 pm
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

DiscoDuck wrote:
D3 was in its element.

I was a little worried about too many short trips with lights and heated this and that to feel the battery could take the FBH for ½ hour!

A smug feeling came over me when the Audi that overtook me in heavy snowfall stuffed his car straight on into a snowdrift just as my wife was tut tuting at his excessive speed!

I took my £100 chains from my old TD5 modified (to fit the 19in rims with scorpions) with some stainles steel shackles. They fit well and have tested them on my drive but never in anger. The driving in Hinterglemm was not a problem as the packed snow/ice seemed to have some grip as other cars with chains seem to grind the surface so it is not polished ice.

I was reading a story in Discoweb about some chaps that drove as far north as possible in Canada, they reckoned that below -15, the ice on the road actually gains grip, and is more like sand. It is only slippery when the temp is above -15, Could this be true??

Post #356162nd Jan 2006 8:29 pm
BN

England 

Gareth wrote:
DiscoDuck wrote:
D3 was in its element.

I was reading a story in Discoweb about some chaps that drove as far north as possible in Canada, they reckoned that below -15, the ice on the road actually gains grip, and is more like sand. It is only slippery when the temp is above -15, Could this be true??

Not in my expereince. The colder the weather the harder the tyres and the air inside freezes. The grip is more like freezing to the road, not grip.

In -35C stop for about 10 minutes and the warm tyres freeze to the floor with the moisture.

Post #356172nd Jan 2006 8:48 pm
DiscoDuck

The cold stuff was almost like dry sand and the hard stuff had a hard cruchy surface! There are many types of snow!
 D4 HSE
Blue 

Post #356222nd Jan 2006 9:38 pm
10forcash

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Yep, agree with that, the colder it gets, the larger the ice particles get, which makes it easier to drive on. Never had freezing air in tyres, but I can imagine the moisture in the air condensing and freezing, if nothing else, at least you know where to get the ice for your G&T from Wink

Post #356543rd Jan 2006 12:24 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >