Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

Intermediate oil/fluid changes.......
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
LT

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Landmark LE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

In the US (& other contries) the service schedules of most marques are more frequent than the U.K. The cost is often significantly lower than U.K.

In recent years manufacturers have been stretching out the U.K service schedules. The basis of this, was to be more attractive to fleet managers.

Some would say that "modern" oils have a much longer life etc. Personally, I'm happier with more frequent oil changes.

Post #3387911st Sep 2008 5:12 pm
chesters

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Arctic FrostDiscovery 3

Just come back from Costco and bought 6 X 1L bottles of Castrol Edge 5W 30 (ACEA B3 spec) fully synthetic oil at £23.48 for 6 including VAT.

The book recons 5.45L oil change with filter so I will have 1/2 L for top up.
 Arctic Frost Discovery 3 TDV6 SE, Active Rear Diff, Adaptive Head Lights, Tow Pack, Ebony Leather, Roof Rails, Mantec Guard. Tasmod Stainless Sill plates. Grabber AT's. Home made mud flaps. Side Steps back on until the next time.  
Post #3389661st Sep 2008 9:50 pm
Rob Bruce

Australia 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Maya GoldDiscovery 3

One thing to remember about modern oils. Yes they are much better now and in the time frame in an engine do not degrade but they still get contaminated with carbon, resedues of fuel, acids, metal particles Shocked
No matter how good an oil is this cannot be avoided Big Cry
So IMO the extra oil change with filter is a must if you plan on keeping the D3 for a long time. Eneyway thats my plan, hope it works,
The above also applys for the transmission, diffs, and power steering. Oil and filters are cheeper than costly repairs,
On a similar note after warrenty ends and I will be doing my own servicing as components need replacing like ball joints, universal joints etc I will be looking for alternitives that have greese nipples or if possible adding a grease nipple Whistle ( I have succesivly done this before with other parts) this extends the life of these components especially in dusty and wet conditions Thumbs Up

Cheers
Rob
 MY05 TDV6 SE, dirt colour, Now cremated !!!!!!!  
Post #3390271st Sep 2008 11:23 pm
Bushwanderer

Australia 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

In Oz,
The service interval is 12000 km (abt 7500 mi) or 6 months, therefore similar to US.

There is also provision for an extra service before each A service, identified as Arduous service only. I have no info on what is undertaken during an "arduous" service.

Best Wishes,
Peter

Post #3390902nd Sep 2008 7:45 am
ianv

Australia 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Hi BW,

I think the arduous service is where the mechanic does not get a cup off coffee until finished.

I change oil and filter every 6K, planning to keep the D3 for 200K so look after it. Living in Alice Springs for a couple of years they checked/changed both the pollen and engine air filters every 12K rather than 24 and most often they need changing. I found them full of dust between servicces and would have to blow them off with compressed air.

A few times in the summer I have had to clean the pollen filter as it was restricting airflow badly due to dust.
 TDV6  
Post #3400274th Sep 2008 2:13 pm
Bushwanderer

Australia 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Thumbs Up

Post #3402465th Sep 2008 5:21 am
BLFarrar

Location: Deepest, Dankest, Darkest, Dingiest......Le Halifax, West Yorkshire...with strong links to Ireland

France 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Lugano TealDiscovery 3
Re: Intermediate oil/fluid changes.......

Gazzer wrote:
Hi chaps,

......But I know that the Jaguar servicing schedule is very minimal to say the least, to keep costs down. LR are going to have the same/similar philosophy ................I wanted to do an intermediate oil change at 6k miles to give my car the best chance of running smooth for a long time........Thoughts...............

Gazzer
I had a couple of Volvo's last century that I ran "cradle to grave"....the only reason that I had no major engine repair bills was due to regular oil changes at approx 6k miles & used good quality but not mega costly state of the synthetic oil.
True that if I had used the synthetic or semi synthetic it could have stayed in longer....but if you change oil at 6k miles it just isn't cost effective.
Changing oil at 6k meant both vehicle engines lived to fight another day when the rest of the car was scrapped (one engine (B21E) 350k miles the other (B27) well over 280k miles). Regular changing at an optimum level kept everything very clean & unworn in the engines....when they came out of the scrapped cars they still had correct compressions & didn't burn oil.
Diesel engines for Volvo passenger cars (aki to our D3's) were relatively new when all this happened (last century)....& commenced with these engines having services at 6 miles & intermediate oil changes at 3k..the engines Volvo used were Audi/VW (in 7 series) & VM in the 200 series cars.
Subsequently this frequency of oil change was extended to 6k then 12k.....from what I was told on a marketing initiative - nothing to do with better (synthetic) oils being available.....the fact that these werent use as an OEM fill or by dealers proved this.
At the end of the day:
- it was all the other bits of kit that led to these cars having to be scrapped..+..rusty bodies.
- I did the paying so know the scheme that was used "worked" for me.
- never had engine problems & engines lived on....generally its a dead or dying engine that costs or causes you to have to get rid.

& to answer your original question - for what its worth I'd suggest 6k oil changes....DIY it isn't difficult or risky & will prolong the life of your engine - frequent oil changes removes all the crap that the oil has to carry...the issue that any synthetic oil cant alter.
If you reference this to the TD5 Disco 2 engine also had an centrifugal oil filter...which was said to be the reason that oil change & service intervals could be extended. (data from dealer launch video)
 BREXIT - done properly.
Right now ...We need Government - not Politics
Save the Dipstick Flagbearer-keep it simple, less likely to fail campaign-agenda items:Starting Handles, Acetylene Lamps.
Founder: Dipsticks-R-Us Inc
D3 HSE-perfectly formed, passenger friendly...has real DIPSTICK
Jag XK-but sadly no DIPSTICK...HUGE design fault
FL2 has DIPSTICK..."real comfort in rear seats"
VW Golf wondermobile (?)..has real DIPSTICK
Morris Minor..original DIPSTICK technology..and a real KEY. 

Post #3402525th Sep 2008 7:01 am
simon

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

either way... preventative measures are generally better for prolonging the life of anything.

Post #3402775th Sep 2008 9:25 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >