Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

Pre-Heater problem
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
kjh1957

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3
Pre-Heater problem

Oh No I hear you cry - but wait. Thanks to help on this forum I have been successfully using the radio dodge to get the FBH running and I must admit to feeling a bit smug whilst all around scraping ice of windscreens during the recent sub zero temperatures.
However I experienced a problem yesterday and this morning where I couldn't turn the pre-heat off.
I was trying to start the car 10 minutes after the timer should have gone off ie 40 minutes after the pre-heater started. The engine would start but I had no throttle - nothing would happen. I tried reseting the pre-heat and after a few attempts it finally cleared with the pre-heat lamp going out. Once this cleared I could drive off. Any ideas? Should I ensure that I start the engine before the 30 mins pre-heat has elapased?

Happy new year to you Disco3 ers

Post #3519330th Dec 2005 11:11 am
10forcash

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

This'll be due to the pre- heater draining the 'bucket' in the fuel tank, once started, the electric transfer pump will refill it and the engine will run normally once the fuel rail has been purged of air, as you say, 30 mins is the best time to start the engine, the system will not switch off (due to the radio 'trick' keeping the CAN bus active) until it has reached the temperature set point - it's somewhere around 73 / 75 degrees C from memory - regardless of the timer off setting

Post #3520530th Dec 2005 11:50 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
kjh1957

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

10forcash wrote:
This'll be due to the pre- heater draining the 'bucket' in the fuel tank, once started, the electric transfer pump will refill it and the engine will run normally once the fuel rail has been purged of air, as you say, 30 mins is the best time to start the engine, the system will not switch off (due to the radio 'trick' keeping the CAN bus active) until it has reached the temperature set point - it's somewhere around 73 / 75 degrees C from memory - regardless of the timer off setting

Many thanks that is extremely helpful. Happy new year.

Post #3522130th Dec 2005 2:39 pm
10forcash

No worries Thumbs Up
Happy new year to you too! (and everyone else of course Wink )
Hope to see you getting muddy sometime...

Post #3522330th Dec 2005 2:45 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
BN

England 

kjh1957 wrote:
10forcash wrote:

Many thanks that is extremely helpful. Happy new year.

TFC is not correct as the bucket cannot be drained by the Webasto as the feed is above the cars main fuel feed and on the return side. I have taken a tank apart and examined the feeds.

You may as I have warned so many times by using the 'radio trick' caused a memory in the Webasto computer, because the heater should stop the minute you open the door as the LR BUS will cancel the Webasto BUS anyway as it will with the timer I have worked on with Webasto.

I am in Northamptonshire, mail me as the Webasto may need a reset and I might be able to help.

Post #3524430th Dec 2005 5:59 pm
10forcash

Sorry BN, I was using info you posted here as gospel
http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?p=14666#14666
maybe your 'source' has changed and corrected prior inaccuracies?
In all instances of this though, it has been the run time that has appeared to cause temporary engine fuel starvation, which is the point isn't it?

Post #3524830th Dec 2005 6:18 pm
BN

England 

10forcash wrote:
Sorry BN, I was using info you posted here as gospel
http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?p=14666#14666
maybe your 'source' has changed and corrected prior inaccuracies?
In all instances of this though, it has been the run time that has appeared to cause temporary engine fuel starvation, which is the point isn't it?

TFC, the original comments were that the 'bucket' may have been the cause for the Webasto not being connected, you are right, but I did post later that the return fuel pipe was used and that is why Webasto could carry on with their fix.

Post #3525130th Dec 2005 6:25 pm
10forcash

10forcash wrote:

Forget the points scoring eh?

Post #3525430th Dec 2005 6:30 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >