Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

Nokia 6230 cradle
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
simon.foster

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3
Nokia 6230 cradle

I am looking to buy the above phone but want to make sure that it will work with the cradle. Looking at the information on Land Rover's website it they say that you need software v5.35 however I can only seem to get hold of this phone with v 5.24? Has anybody got this phone working with an earlier software package and do you find it better than just using bluetooth?

Thanks.
 Disco 3 TDV6HSE Cairns blue auto
Defender 90 300TDi 1997 

Post #3501829th Dec 2005 11:00 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Winger
Site Moderator 

2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Aintree GreenDiscovery 4

It works perfectly with 5.35. You can always get the software updated by Nokia if it doesn't work with a lower version.

Post #3503629th Dec 2005 4:15 pm
dilbert2k

United Kingdom 
6230 v04.28 works with cradle

I have a 6230 with v04.28 and a cradle. It works perfectly.

I have not tried bluetooth, but I recall reading that the Nokia version was relevant to the bluetooth integration, not use with a cradle.

Anyway, with a cradle, you get full phone functionality in terms of dialling, receiving, last calls list, phone book browsing. You cant to sms though.

d2k
 D1 Tdi200s done. D2 V8 ES done. D3 TDV6 HSE now Smile  
Post #3507629th Dec 2005 8:48 pm
simon.foster

Finally got a Nokia 6230 off ebay and have full access to my phonebook via the IHU. OR SO I THOUGHT. Having syncronised outlook with my phone I was surprised to find that despite each outlook contact having say 2 or 3 contact numbers, not all of these show on the stereo display. It only seems to show the first number. Is this right or am I missing something?
Defender 90 300TDi 1997 

Post #359664th Jan 2006 9:35 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Very Annoyed

England 

simon.foster wrote:
Finally got a Nokia 6230 off ebay and have full access to my phonebook via the IHU. OR SO I THOUGHT. Having syncronised outlook with my phone I was surprised to find that despite each outlook contact having say 2 or 3 contact numbers, not all of these show on the stereo display. It only seems to show the first number. Is this right or am I missing something?

This is right! I don't wish to throw a spanner in the works but I had to downgrade my software from 5.35 to work properly!

Post #359794th Jan 2006 10:19 pm
simon.foster

Where did you get it downgraded and to what version, my current version is 5.5?
Defender 90 300TDi 1997 

Post #359804th Jan 2006 10:22 pm
Winger
Site Moderator 

simon.foster wrote:

You are right about this, as long as you use the Phone memory as opposed to the SIM memory. If you move entries from the Phone to the SIM then each one is converted into a seperate number entry. Otherwise, the IHU only receives the default number for the entry. Downside of this is that there is a limit to the number of entries that can be stored.

Post #360415th Jan 2006 11:22 am
simon.foster

So the software version is irrelevant to whether it will sync all phone numbers in each contact then?
Defender 90 300TDi 1997 

Post #361155th Jan 2006 8:01 pm
Winger
Site Moderator 

Correct

Post #361175th Jan 2006 8:17 pm
afp001

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3
Re: Nokia 6230 cradle

simon.foster wrote:
I am looking to buy the above phone but want to make sure that it will work with the cradle. Looking at the information on Land Rover's website it they say that you need software v5.35 however I can only seem to get hold of this phone with v 5.24? Has anybody got this phone working with an earlier software package and do you find it better than just using bluetooth?

Thanks.

I have a Nokia 6230 and cradle.
The procedure of locking the phone into the cradle does not seem to be very good. It just seems to be a flimsy fit.
For a while now I wanted a phone with a larger display. I have opted for a Motorola Razr V3x (free upgrade). I also bought a Sim pack for a fiver.
I can now leave the Nokia locked into the cradle, and divert my calls from the Motorola to the D3 / Nokia system.
Does anyone else find the phone / cradle combo to be crap?

ps. With the Nokia installed in the car I find that operating the system is faultless.
 TDV6 SE auto, Java / Alpacca
2010 Mini Cooper S Conv. Pepper White, Blue roof
2010 Jaguar XJ, Caviar with Cashew seats, B&W 1200W Hifi 

Post #364757th Jan 2006 3:12 pm
simon.foster

Great idea, but do you not get charged for all calls that you receive which get diverted to from your Motorola to your Nokia?

Also can you access all the different contact numbers under each contach in your Nokia? If so how do you do it?
Defender 90 300TDi 1997 

Post #365387th Jan 2006 11:11 pm
afp001

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

simon.foster wrote:
Great idea, but do you not get charged for all calls that you receive which get diverted to from your Motorola to your Nokia?

Also can you access all the different contact numbers under each contach in your Nokia? If so how do you do it?

Yes, I do pay for the diverted call. However, when I got the new phone I also upgraded 3 others for my business. All of the phones are on new tariffs which have 1/2 price line rental for 6 months..... To cut it short, I didn't pay any money out and should save £270.00 overall in a year. This should easily compensate for the diverts. Anyway, in my case I make many more calls than I recieve.

As for my contacts, I simply copied all the old Sim details onto the new phone. The only problem is that when I need to store a new number, I need to do it twice / 3 times if I want to store it on the LR PTI voice dialing system.

It may not be the perfect solution, but it works for me. At least I don't have to Censored about trying to lock / unlock the phone from the cradle.
 TDV6 SE auto, Java / Alpacca
2010 Mini Cooper S Conv. Pepper White, Blue roof
2010 Jaguar XJ, Caviar with Cashew seats, B&W 1200W Hifi 

Post #365568th Jan 2006 12:44 am
Winger
Site Moderator 

I don't fine the cradle fitting any more or less robust than any other Nokia car kit I have had. The cradle does move about a bit on the mount, but I have had no problems.

As for contacts/numbers: the IHU will not read contact multi-entries from the phone memory. The vast majority of mobile phone users still have a single entry for each number, rather than grouping numbers under a name, apparently.

I have found that they key to resolving this is to ensure that the most likely number to reach someone on, usually the mobile I find, is set as the default number, which is the one that appears on the IHU display.

Post #365638th Jan 2006 10:05 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >