Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

Condensation in Xenons
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
lawman

vito wrote:
Same problem.

The dealer tried twice to re-seal the headlights with no effect. Evil or Very Mad
Now I am waiting for the units to be replaced. The condensation occurs in the lower "silver" part of the unit.

Vito

Ditto. Same issue. Lower silver portion most affected. Doesn't clear with lights on as I thought it might. Did the dealer replace for you?

Post #3852422nd Jan 2006 9:28 pm
tsultana

England 

Yes same position, is this what everyones talking about, or are others actually in the view of the bulbs themselves? (I have xeons)

Post #3865023rd Jan 2006 1:53 pm
Matt.y

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

Yes same position, is this what everyones talking about, or are others actually in the view of the bulbs themselves? (I have xeons)

I can only talk about my own headlights, but yes it is the lower portion and on a particularly bad day it spreads up over the side light and onto the lower half of the indicator. So althought it is only cosmetic and does not affect the headlight or main beam I think it makes the car look as though it is made from cheap components ( which considering the price tag is not true ) LA417-002V3 is the technical service bulletin regarding this issue. It shows what is and what is not acceptable (ie they change your lights)

For the type of condensation every one here appears to be describing LR state that this is acceptable and is to be expected under certain atmospheric conditions.

It goes on to say that after a period of normal headlamp operation the condensation should dissipate.

However, if considerable water droplets remain then the lamps are to be replaced. If light misting remains then there are some silica gell sachets the dealer can install to attempt a quick fix!!!

The bulletin shows phots of what is/is not acceptable and basically shows that you must have beads of water inside the lense or running down and pooling at the bottom of the unit.

Post #3873523rd Jan 2006 9:03 pm
10forcash

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

old trick with condensation in headlamps was to remove the sidelight lamp (to let the moisture out) and leave the headlights on with a wet teatowel over the front of it for 30 mins or so... not tried it with plastic fronted lamps but the principle (temperature differential) should be the same

Post #3879023rd Jan 2006 11:00 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
vito

Last week I finally got both headlights replaced Very Happy .
The dealer did not ask me how bad the condensation was: actually they did not even ask me to see the problem, I was just trusted on my words. The technician told me that, following the bulletin, they had to attempt a re-sealing before the replacement. The price tag for the two units, that were replaced for free, was approximately 1,200 Euros .
They seem fine, although I did not test them in heavy rain.

Bye, Vito Thumbs Up

Post #413256th Feb 2006 10:49 pm
Sturge

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Causeway GreyDiscovery 4

Dealer fitted a couple of sachets of silica gel(? - why do i think that is wrong spelling?) on Saturday and that has cleared my condensation below the lights. It's an official 'fix' which landrover had to send him.

Post #414697th Feb 2006 8:01 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
vito

I think that silica gel bags are not an adequate (quick) fix for a 50.000+ euro car. Confused
And how long will they last? In the long run I think that water will take its toll (possibly, by Murphy rule, as soon as the warranty expires). Evil or Very Mad

Trying a couple of re-sealing attempts makes some sense, if this does not work, however, they should replace the units. In that regard, the dealer was very professional and did a good job. Otherwise I was ready for very strong discussions, and I would have reconsidered buying a Land Rover again.
(Well…I even marked the old units to be sure they were actually replaced…) Whistle

Vito

Post #414887th Feb 2006 10:50 pm
steveho

United Kingdom 

Took landrover/hella about 3 years to get the range rover rear lamp condensation issue fixed -be patient Laughing

Post #4306619th Feb 2006 1:09 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >