DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

Suspension again.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 
Suspension again.

I thought they had solved it, but alas no Mad .

Driving along the motorway today, cruising at a steady 70mph, no rain, no worries, when "bong"

"Special Programs Off" in message centre. Red suspension lamp on.
"Suspension Fault - Drive below 30mph" in message center.

System proceded to lower onto bump stops. This all took 15 seconds, and I was still doing 70 in the overtaking lane, trying to get over to the shoulder, car was bouncing all over the place and very difficult to control.

I was just starting to get very worried indeed, when there was another bong, the red lamp went out, and "Suspension Normal Height Selected" appears in the message center, and all returned to normal.

I pulled off the motorway, and stopped, just a little shaken up. I checked the suspension, and it raised and lowered normally. The Terrain Response system would not operate though, with the message "System Fault Not Available" (or similar) in message center.

A key out restart returned everything to normal. I drove it straight to the dealer, and asked them to convince me that the car is safe to drive. They plugged it in to the system, and no faults were recorded. They did not have any spare cars to lend me, and as I goon holiday on Friday, I need the Disco to tow my caravan, I have no option at the moment but to continue driving it.

This is after they had the car for 5 days two weeks ago, to solve this and other problems.

I have asked the dealer to talk to the area rep with some urgency, as I am far from happy with this. The car is borderline dangerous me thinks.

Post #160821st Mar 2005 9:25 pm
DiscoMad

Gareth,

Have you had them check the posibility of a corroded power cable to the park brake module ?? It could be a cause for this kind of fault...but strange - if there are messages then there should be faults recorded. I had the same and a fault was recorded in the suspension/parkbrake

Post #161021st Mar 2005 9:38 pm
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

The car will be booked in after my holiday. If it breaks again in the meantime, LR Assistance will have to lend me another Disco.

If they fail to fix it again, would I be in order to ask for the car to be replaced by Land Rover? where do I start?

Post #161121st Mar 2005 9:44 pm
DiscoMad

This might be helpful...
http://www.ts-p.co.uk/information_sheets/C...ealers.pdf

Post #161221st Mar 2005 9:50 pm
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

Thanks, that is very informative.

I feel inclined to reject the car now, and demand a replacement. This fault has occured 3 times now, and the car has been at the dealers for a total of 9 days since I took delivery on 29th Nov 2004.

I have a complication however, and I am not sure if it will affect my claim. The car was purchased through a leasing company. I have paid a deposit, and 3 payments. They got the car from a different Land Rover dealer to the one I have used for the repairs. This is for geographical reasons.

Who do I approach first, is it the Lease Co., The supplying dealer, or the repairing dealer, or do I go straight for the jugular and talk to LR first?

I cannot afford to be without a car, my business depends on it. Are Land Rover legally obliged to give me a car while they try to fix it? - the repairing dealer says that they are not obliged to lend me a car, but they would if they could. They said that the car would have to actually break down for LR Assist to get involved, and if they could not fix it within a certain time, then they would loan me a car.

This is vague, and adds up to bad customer service, very very bad.

I (or the lease co. at least) just spent 42k with LR, I am getting angrier by the second as I write this letter.

Post #161321st Mar 2005 10:10 pm
Winger
Site Moderator 

2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Aintree GreenDiscovery 4

Under UK law, you are passed the "rejection" gate. Your only recourse would be clearly demonstrable failure to recitfy a persistent fault; recourse would be in the form of damages. I would assume that the terms of your lease included an "acceptance" element.

With respect to the ownership position, I don't know the nature of your leasing arrangement, but would suspect the title of the vehicle passed from dealer to lease co. and then onto you - if you have title, and this doesn't rest with the lease company.

If I was in your shoes, I would pursue two lines: first, inform the lease company of the problem, and obtain their view of situation - I would suggest that you consult a solicitor to assist in putting the matter in writing and I would suggest that you copy the principal of the dealership who supplied the vehicle; second, I would contact the CEO of Land Rover, and, in the first instance, approach them from a non-legal perspective. If you don't get any joy, and ultimately you are going to sue, then both the lease company and Land Rover could be in your line of fire, as well as the supplying dealer.

I would suggest that there is a high chance that the supplying dealer may need to be involved in rectifying the fault - actually doing the work.

Post #162522nd Mar 2005 9:02 am
DiscoMad

Quote:
Under UK law, you are passed the "rejection" gate. Your only recourse would be clearly demonstrable failure to recitfy a persistent fault; recourse would be in the form of damages.

Winger, please take a look at my link and the terms of the LR warranty.
a) maybe he isn't any past any rejection stage
b) Damages would be contested hard although gesture of goodwill is never out of the question !

Best thing as you say, is to get legal advice, although in this case they may recommend giving them a further opportunity to fix the issue.

Last edited by DiscoMad on 22nd Mar 2005 1:56 pm. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #162922nd Mar 2005 9:46 am
Winger
Site Moderator 

2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Aintree GreenDiscovery 4

Consumer law is pretty grey in many areas, and vehicle has been used for some time now. The dealer and Land Rover would, I am sure, counter any rejection threat with a promise to "fix" the problem, and whilst they are attempting to do that, and other action would be put on hold. I am sure, as they have with me in the past, would provide a replacement vehicle in the interim.

The situation here is made more complicated by the lease arrangement.

I totally agree that a further chance for the dealer/Land Rover to fix the issue would be appropriate - probably under a legal "warning".

Post #163122nd Mar 2005 12:53 pm
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

Thanks everyone for your advice.

Spoken to lease co today, and they are very interested. They now have all the details, and will be trying to help me settle this amicably. I await thier instructions.

Post #164222nd Mar 2005 11:49 pm
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

Dealer phoned me today to ask when they could have my car. I asked them why they were asking, and they tell me that the Land Rover engineer wants to inspect it.

I am off for a weeks holiday, so it goes in on the 4th.

Post #171024th Mar 2005 11:52 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >