Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

Weights under rear
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
simon

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

In the manual it reads...

"In an emergency, the parkbrake can be applied ’dynamically’, i.e. with the vehicle travelling at more than 3 km/h (2 mph). Pulling up on the lever and holding it up gives a gradual reduction in speed. The brake warning indicator will illuminate accompanied by a harsh sound and ’Caution! Parkbrake applied’ appears on the message screen. The stop lamps will illuminate. Releasing or depressing the lever will cancel the parkbrake application".

so if its gradual where's the emergency breaking ? You'd think that the emergency stops in a straight line would be mentioned.

-s

Post #161421st Mar 2005 10:20 pm
simon

DiscoMad wrote:
Shame its not 1st April - this one would have been a great weeze !

Thing is, what other rubbish is that dealer telling his customers !

I think its more a case of what LR tell the dealers... seems they are told one thing by their customer service and tech reps and we are told another.

My dealer's cool. Trying to get to the bottom of issues I have and are having LR now contact me direct to explain things and hopefully sort them out.

-s

Post #161521st Mar 2005 10:23 pm
freeflytim

United States 2005 LR3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverLR3

"On Road Dynamics" is a GREAT explanation from a “LR Experience Instructor.”

Obviously this ‘Instructor’ is also an Automotive Engineer to come up with such a DETAILED explanation.

This is what they do-

The pendulum weights hanging in front of the rear bumper are to counteract resonate frequency vibrations coming off the frame of the truck.

If you need any more explanation than that, I don’t know what to tell you.

BN wrote:
I now have the accurate answer as to what the weights under the rear of the car are for. They are a part of the 'On Road Dynamics'. This answer came from a friend of mine who is a senior LR Experience instructor. I will let you know more when he can expalin in detail.

Post #162222nd Mar 2005 5:55 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
BN

England 

Come on ‘freeflytim’, give the guy a chance to explain. His answer was after all in reply to a short text message from me and with an immediate reply from him. I am sure he cannot explain in a short SMS text the full and detailed explanation of ‘On Road Dynamics’ or resonate vibration in 30 words. When he is back in the office, I will ask him for many more explanations. I am sure he will be able to assist on many problems that we all appear to be getting, even software and Pre-Heaters. At least he is a direct connection with the heart of real Land Rover and able to answer a lot more I am sure. He has the access to development workshops, technicians, designers and ramps (lifts) to examine features. He is also the owner of a LR Bowler, so he must know a bit about Landy’s, their use and ability. He does not travel the world training the LR G4 team and not know a few answers about LR3’s. Finally, when we do get a friend in the company lets be friendly in return, after all he does read your comments on the site!

Post #162622nd Mar 2005 9:03 am
Winger
Site Moderator 

2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Aintree GreenDiscovery 4

Here, here.

I would have thought his answer was spot on: something that is there to counteract vibrations in clearly linked to on road dynamics.

Post #162822nd Mar 2005 9:06 am
mse

United Kingdom 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Indus SilverDiscovery 4

From my cousin who actually is incharge of the department that designed those weights... they are there to dampen the vibrations and resonance of the car; relating to cab noise and handling - they wanted to put them on each corner but wer not allowed due to cost.

Post #551527th Jun 2005 1:40 am
BN

England 

We had actually ascertained that in an earlier post, but thanks. freeflytim was correct some time ago also.

Post #552227th Jun 2005 7:23 am
Pelyma

England 

Cor not another come to the darkside from LROI??? I presume it is the same mse Question
 DS3 TDV6 HSE - Silver with Alpaca (old one) Gone
DS3 TDV6 HSE- Silver with Alpaca (new one) Gone
D4 HSE Lux - Montalcino Red Gone
Porsche Cayenne V8 Diesel S 

Post #552727th Jun 2005 8:35 am
simon

Can anyone explain how they actually work though ? Not being an engineer I cannot work out how two heavy weights suspended at the rear of the vehicle can counteract resonance in the chassis.

-s

Post #552927th Jun 2005 8:39 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >