DISCO3.CO.UK > Australia & New Zealand

Contaminated diesel damage!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Discoeast

South Africa 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Member garryc had done a conversion on his earlier this year. He put
a racor 120 B unit in with a water separating filter between the
tank and STD filter. On last hearing from him, was very happy with it.
And he fitted the water sensor.
Here are the spec sheets.

http://www.disco3.co.uk/gallery/displayima...mp;pos=118
http://www.disco3.co.uk/gallery/displayima...mp;pos=119

I've done some temp brackets, but just not had time to complete the conversion.
Some pics of it fitted, in the position I think will work for me.

http://www.disco3.co.uk/gallery/displayima...amp;pos=64
http://www.disco3.co.uk/gallery/displayima...amp;pos=65
Hope this is of some help.
 D3 bullbar-spots-roof rack with spots-ladder-long range tank-swing out spare wheel carrier- upgraded tow bar-dash console-internal water tank-duel awnings-drawer system & T T.  
Post #5025221st Aug 2009 8:53 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
garryc

Australia 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

After reading about previous damage and costs I checked with my current and other insurance companies and none covered water in fuel. After some discussion with Discoeast I installed the Racor 120B. It was the only one to fit in the limited space and they claimed the filter would not get waterlogged. So I installed it and the integrated probe/electronics sensor. I have fitted a 2 micron filter and it has done about 20,000km so far. I will change it at the recommended LR intervals. I had to get it overseas as that model is not sold in Oz and the Racors here were of the wrong dimensions. I rang locally and one shop said they could get it for AUS$600. Shocked From the good old US of A it cost me AUS$340 incl. freight. I had a problem with the sensor light coming on intermittently but there was never any water visible in the see through bowl. Eventually it stayed. So I fitted a new sensor. Confused I checked with Racor in Oz and they said that the sensor should be able to survive in an engine area. I measured temperature at the filters and it never went over 50C after a 20km trip on a hot engine.
 2013 D4, E-diff, Vision pack

Never propose to a Yak 

Post #5028592nd Aug 2009 10:02 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
robertpearse

Australia 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Thanks guys for the filter tip. I willl investigate this.

Regarding Insurance. Alliance is our insurance company, with COTA as the agents, and they had absolutly no problem with paying up for the mechanical damage. They also covered us for some car hire and accomodation.

There was a fairly strange requirment for their assessor to see the vehicle, even after seeing the parts and details and contaiminated fuel report from the dealer, but that was resolved once i got onto the person actually approving the claim. Land Rover Austrlia were also very very helpful. The servcie manager where the car was fixed said that most insurers will cover for this damage but AMMI won't. He also said that most will cover for putting desiel into pertol and vise versa which i find hard to believe. Hope i never have to find out!

Cheers, Rob

Post #5030693rd Aug 2009 2:33 am
robertpearse

Hello Discoeast. I was directed ot pics of certin vehicles stuck on a beach not a spec sheet for the filter. But, surley that cant be adisco3 stuck.javascript:emoticon('Whistle')

Rob

Post #5030703rd Aug 2009 2:43 am
garryc

robertpearse wrote:
Thanks guys for the filter tip. I willl investigate this.

Regarding Insurance. Alliance is our insurance company, with COTA as the agents, and they had absolutly no problem with paying up for the mechanical damage. They also covered us for some car hire and accomodation.

There was a fairly strange requirment for their assessor to see the vehicle, even after seeing the parts and details and contaiminated fuel report from the dealer, but that was resolved once i got onto the person actually approving the claim. Land Rover Austrlia were also very very helpful. The servcie manager where the car was fixed said that most insurers will cover for this damage but AMMI won't. He also said that most will cover for putting desiel into pertol and vise versa which i find hard to believe. Hope i never have to find out!

Cheers, Rob

Here's a pic of my Racor.
Click image to enlarge

Was your insurance co. Allianz not Alliance. I couldn't find Alliance in the phone book Question

Never propose to a Yak 

Post #5030753rd Aug 2009 6:28 am
robertpearse

Hello Gary,

Thanks for the pic of the filter. Now i get it! have you got anyinfo on the spec sheets? And yes you are absolutly right. It is Allianz. Woops

Post #5030763rd Aug 2009 6:49 am
caverD3

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

There is one called Alliance (or was) but when you read the PDS the policy is written on dunny paper, but not worth as much. Rolling Eyes
 â€œThere are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games”
Ernest Hemmingway
D4 3.0 Active Diff, Adaptive Lights, High Beam Assist, Surround Cameras, Privacy Glass.
D3 2.7:Adaptive Headlights,Electronic Rear Diff,ARB Bar,Blaupunkt Speakers,JVC Powered Subwoofer,Removable Snorkel,Mitch Hitch,Pioneer After Market Head Unit,Steering Wheel Control Adaptor,Remote Adjustable Supension Rod System, Taxside Dual Battery System. 

Post #5030873rd Aug 2009 7:45 am
pbhawkin

Australia 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Loire BlueDiscovery 4

Rob,
I know you didn't choose the dealer at Dubbo.
But all I can say is based on personnal experience with two cars bought and serviced by them (Volvo and D3). They have since lost the Volvo dealership I believe AND should lose the Landrover one too if there is any justice in this world! They are hopeless in both sales and service hence I travel 3 hours to Sydney for service of the D3.
 regards
Peter

Post #5030943rd Aug 2009 8:11 am
garryc

robertpearse wrote:
Hello Gary,

Thanks for the pic of the filter. Now i get it! have you got anyinfo on the spec sheets? And yes you are absolutly right. It is Allianz. Woops

You can get the specs by Googling(or better www.scroogle.org) Racor 12B. It was the only one that was small enough but had the required flow rate to fit where I put it. Make sure it is 120B and not 120A as the screw off filter for the 120A is shorter and doesn't have the flow rate through the filter. I put it inline before the LR filter and not instead of because the first D3's had two extra connections for fuel return on the LR filter. The connectors on the D3 seem to be unique as I could not find them any where around town or on the web. I ended up buying the LR short fuel line with connectors which goes from a connector in front of the fuel tank to the input of the LR filter just to get the plastic connectors. I can replace the original fuel pipe if needed. Very Happy

Never propose to a Yak 

Post #5030953rd Aug 2009 8:21 am
robertpearse

Peter, here is an overview of our experience with the Dubbo dealer.

Day 1
Diagnosed contaminated diesel.
They recommended
1. removal of fuel tank and clean rather than new fuel tank
2. replace low preasure fuel filter
3. replace seal at top of fuel tank
4. 20 litres diesel and test

Day 2
Fuel tank seal late received late morning that had been air freighted from Sydney. They clearly did not know how to fit the seal. Then they had trouble with an unidentified wire in the fuel tank. Did they dislodgeit when cleaning the tank. They did not know! I asked if they knew what they were doing. Insisted they did. Said we would on our way by 1.00pm that day!
Late in the afternoon they tried to start the car and could not. At 4.45pm advised us they would contact Land Rover in the morning. I pushed them to contact LR then. They did and then advised that the car could take 7 to 10 days to repair.
Experated he hired a car and drove to Sydney that night.

Day 3 In Sydney we contacted Land Rover who later that day advised they would be removing the car from Dubbo and freighting to Sydney at LR's expense!

As was shown later by Sydney dealer, Trivitt, that the Dubbo dealer had little understanding what they were doing and basically stuffed everthing they touched including:
# downleading very weird readouts from the computer which lead Trivett to completely reprograme it from fear of what they might have done to it
# stuffed the replacement low preasure fuel pump by trying to start the car, after cleaning and refitting the tank. This pushed metal particles from the disintergrated interior of the high preasure pump through it and the cleaned fuel tank.
We also had to pay them for the 'work' done before they would release the car to Land Rover. This included the wasted time of the pulling out the tank, cleaning it and refitting it, the replacemnt low preasure fuel pump and seal and all the labour of them just standing around and scratching their heads. They just not have the expereince to know what to do and they would not admit it even when directly asked.

LR went into bat for us and had their bill reduced. Thank you Land Rover.

Post #5030993rd Aug 2009 8:43 am
Discoeast

South Africa 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Robert,
If I click on them they go to the right pic's Shocked just go into my gallery
and you will find them there, as for the beach pic's, that is a salt pan in Botswana
near Kubu island, and yes, we all got stuck. We were 2 Disco 3's of about 20 vehicles,
it took us about 5 hrs to get everybody out Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter
What a day Whistle
 D3 bullbar-spots-roof rack with spots-ladder-long range tank-swing out spare wheel carrier- upgraded tow bar-dash console-internal water tank-duel awnings-drawer system & T T.  
Post #5031003rd Aug 2009 8:44 am
robertpearse

Garyc and Discoeast, thank you so much guys for this fantastic info. Got the spec sheets and printed out the info on the filters and instalation pic.javascript:emoticon('Bow down')

I am going to dealers on Friday for look at the suspension warning light...me thinks it's the compressor. Oh well 140,000K and 3 years on 05 model should not surprised from the posts on suspension problems but i am rather annoyed. Am on the 3rd handbreak unit!

i will put this info this stuff under their noses and see what they say.

Many thanks Rob

Post #5031103rd Aug 2009 9:20 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >