Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

Loss of engine power
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jon

United Kingdom 
Loss of engine power

I was just driving home and suddenly lost engine power. I went to pull onto a roundabout and the urge was not there. Coming off the roundabout the speed crept up to 25 MPH, but there was just no power. Fortunately I was just round the corner from my house so I made it home. I switched the engine off and back on and then went for a spin round the block everything seemed OK. There were no warning messages or any lights to suggest anything was wrong.

I’m guessing it was an intentional ‘get you home mode’, but it’s strange that there was no warnings or anything. The engine sounded fine and revved fine in neutral. Any ideas?
 A lone Disco in the land of the Cayenne.  
Post #319709th Dec 2005 3:31 pm
PCH

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Jon,

I had a similar experience but it occured at higher speed. In neutral it reved fine and after a restart it ran fine until at any time it would loose power again.

See my post in the "Issues" forum:

http://disco3.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=805

Since the engine connectors were investigated and rectified no power loss problem since.

My suggestion is to get it to the dealer and onto their Test Book for analysis.

Chris
 2011 Discovery 4 (MY12) SDV6 HSE with General Grabber AT's, Traxide Aux Battery system, custom rear drawers and Autosafe half height cargo barrier

Gone - 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE
ARB Bull Bar, Warn 9.5XP Winch, IPF D/Lights, Cooper STT's, LR Raised Air Intake, Traxide aux battery system, custom drawers and half height Autosafe cargo barrier, Mitchell Bros 4x4 tow hitch 

Post #3222511th Dec 2005 5:09 am
jcmonier

France 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Hello,

I've got the same problem that occurs randomly on my DIII (a TDV6 HSE with the automatic gear box).

This have occured 3 times until now and my dealer, after 1 week of inspection, have found anything !

Each time, no information or alert in the car Twisted Evil

Regards,

Jean-Christophe
 Jean-Christophe
Disco 3 TDV6 HSE Auto
Zambezi metalic grey / Ebony leather 

Post #3239812th Dec 2005 6:04 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
PCH

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

jcmonier wrote:
Hello,

I've got the same problem that occurs randomly on my DIII (a TDV6 HSE with the automatic gear box).

This have occured 3 times until now and my dealer, after 1 week of inspection, have found anything !

Each time, no information or alert in the car Twisted Evil

Regards,

Jean-Christophe

I didn't have any messages on the Message Centre either but the power loss was very noticable.

But the dealer did diagnose the fault to be the conenctor at the back of the engine.

Chris
 2011 Discovery 4 (MY12) SDV6 HSE with General Grabber AT's, Traxide Aux Battery system, custom rear drawers and Autosafe half height cargo barrier

Gone - 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE
ARB Bull Bar, Warn 9.5XP Winch, IPF D/Lights, Cooper STT's, LR Raised Air Intake, Traxide aux battery system, custom drawers and half height Autosafe cargo barrier, Mitchell Bros 4x4 tow hitch 

Post #3292914th Dec 2005 12:18 pm
BN

England 

I have spoken to Land Rover today and this fault may be caused by a couple of connectors in the back of the gearbox. Dealer job, sorry. If your dealer doesn't know, tell them LR Tech will know at Gaydon and tell them how to diagnose it, then fix it.

Post #3297914th Dec 2005 4:03 pm
BrianX

Location: Bolton UK - it may be 'grim up north' but at least you get gravy on yer' chips.

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

Mine too. Usually at startup. Switch off then on again and all's fine! One more to add to the list for the next LR dealer visit. Rolling Eyes
 '
'
'05 Disco3 TDV6 - gone
'06 Disco3 TDV6 - gone
'08 Freelander 2 - gone
'98 P38 V8/LPG - gone
'02 L322 V8 - gone
'02 Freelander 1 - gone
'05 Disco 3 TDV6 - SWMBO
'06 L322 V8 - current

Post #3302814th Dec 2005 8:42 pm
MLGOMEZ

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Manual Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Mine did once couple of months ago and did again on Wednesday night - felt like snow mode and was difficult to rev more than 2500.

Pulled into layby, turned off engine and restarted ALL FINE!!

Post #3348116th Dec 2005 3:02 pm
BrianX

Location: Bolton UK - it may be 'grim up north' but at least you get gravy on yer' chips.

Good point. Could the system be strangely switching to one of the other traction modes? It would explain why a 'restart' would solve the problem, wheras a dodgy connector (as mentioned by PCX) would or might need 'jiggling' to reconnect. Perhaps the traction computer software was written by Microsoft Wink
 '
'
'05 Disco3 TDV6 - gone
'06 Disco3 TDV6 - gone
'08 Freelander 2 - gone
'98 P38 V8/LPG - gone
'02 L322 V8 - gone
'02 Freelander 1 - gone
'05 Disco 3 TDV6 - SWMBO
'06 L322 V8 - current

Post #3354216th Dec 2005 7:56 pm
D barnes

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 XS Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

Mine did this a month ago, took it to the dealers but left it running whilst i went to service desk, as the previous instance of this cleared after turning off & back on hence there was no fault ?? acording to the mechanic, it would seem it is the Engine temp sender or connection to, which tells a fuel quantity sensor to restrict the amount of fuel, hence, lack of power. Sad
 DB
TDV6 XS SANTORINI
Sterling Elite Searcher
FIAT 500S
Freelander2 HSE Lux 

Post #3363917th Dec 2005 10:14 am
BrianX

I'll bet you were popular driving to the dealers at 3mph!
 '
'
'05 Disco3 TDV6 - gone
'06 Disco3 TDV6 - gone
'08 Freelander 2 - gone
'98 P38 V8/LPG - gone
'02 L322 V8 - gone
'02 Freelander 1 - gone
'05 Disco 3 TDV6 - SWMBO
'06 L322 V8 - current

Post #3365417th Dec 2005 12:18 pm
tucker_j

England 

Driving home on the M3 last night, outside temp -2C and I gradually noticed I was lacking power. Cruising at 70MPH in 6th gear but did not speed up with my right foot to the floor. Dropped to 5th and floored it, no improvement, dropped to 4th and floored it again but still no ooomph!

Rev'd in neutral fine but didn't want to go above 70 MPH and accelerator very unresponsive. No warning lights but I flicked through the LCD display and spotted "Engine System Fault". I pulled into Fleet services, switched everything off and waited a few minutes. Restarted the engine, checked the LCD and the message had cleared. Got back onto the motorway and she was fine. 1 mile down the road "ping" and a message to tell me the screen wash was low. Why couldn't she tell me that while we were in the service station? Sad

Post #3501529th Dec 2005 10:33 am
10forcash

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Might help (or not) but I managed to induce 'engine system fault' by touching the brakes whilst my foot was on the accelerator - I was drying my brakes out, wasn't going fast but it felt like i'd just dialled in the Grass, Gravel & Snow TR mode

Post #3504929th Dec 2005 5:05 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
MVS

Just had the same as this. Twice in the last two days.. Stopped in at dealer and they said it was a sensor issue as the sales managers brand new RRS suffered the same thing this AM. They hadn't come across it till then.

Just goes to prove that sometimes the dealers believe some people (usually their own staff!)

Post #3506029th Dec 2005 5:58 pm
Malferg

Scotland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

I also had this problem last week. The car was running OK but would not respond to any acceleration. I stopped, switched off and allowed the car to boot up and that resulted in full power being restored. It did it again a few minutes later and I did that same again and success. As I was on my way to the airport to go to Trinidad I have forgotten to ask my wife if occured again on the way home
MF
 D3 TDV6 SE 2005 Bonetti and Ebony  
Post #356633rd Jan 2006 12:34 am
roverdawg

United States 2005 LR3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Java BlackLR3

Malferg wrote:
I also had this problem last week. The car was running OK but would not respond to any acceleration.

I've had very similar problems on my petrol V8. Engine would roar but no power. Thought it was related to the fuel tank recall but that didn't clear it. Now, my dealer claims it's a fuel injector problem that has been documented across many makes and they're flushing the injectors per Land Rover's directive???

On a side note, my 2nd air compressor is now acting up with suspension faults...
 2005 LR3 HSE
1998 Disco (sold) 

Post #357793rd Jan 2006 7:44 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >