Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Africa

Botswana hints needed.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 3 <123
heine

South Africa 2009 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Alaska WhiteDiscovery 3

I found that my consumption didn't vary that much between tar and sand driving , as the speeds on tar were higher . But make sure if you use cruise control that you keep the car in 6th gear using command shift , otherwise it likes to stay in 5 th

Post #30370428th May 2008 10:52 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
robharvey

South Africa 2012 Discovery 4 5.0 V8 SE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Ren,

Consumption wise for me (without trailer) was 15.5l/100 for the Kasane - Maun stretch (via Savute and Moremi over 8 nights). Overall door to door 12.5

Also used command shift a lot - but that was off-road where the D3 in auto doesn't want to trundle in 3rd, rather staying in 2nd. A friendly nudge in the right direction sorted it out Thumbs Up

Post #30371328th May 2008 11:17 am
Deondef

South Africa 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Guys - I'm getting worried here.............

During our recent trip to Kgalagadi my best consumption on the "RSA" sand roads was 17L/100km. On the Botswana side (Mabuesehube) thick sand in sand TR mode averaging 30 km/h consumption went up to 20L/100km Exclamation

Back on tar best consumption was 16L/100km. This was with heavy trailer and RR. I kept clearing the figures on the onboard computer whenever conditions changed.

Must add that never felt that D3 was battling, but tried to be as "consumption friendly" as possible. Interesting to notice is that consumption rises quickly if you select too high gear in thick sand vs auto box to decide, on tar it is the opposite.

Maybe good enough reason to go for TTbox and/or re-map Whistle
 Erstwhile - D3 S '07. Dual battery system. Upgraded tow hitch. Mantec skid plate. Frontrunner rr. Tmax double headed built in compressor

Defender TD5 110 CSW '00. "With everything" 

Post #30381728th May 2008 5:25 pm
heine

Deondef wrote:

Maybe good enough reason to go for TTbox and/or re-map Whistle

Whatever you need Susan to hear . I did find that using command shift instead of auto box made a big differance to consumption

Post #30384828th May 2008 7:02 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
robharvey

South Africa 2012 Discovery 4 5.0 V8 SE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

[quote="heine

Whatever you need Susan to hear . I did find that using command shift instead of auto box made a big differance to consumption[/quote]

Thumbs Up

Post #30401329th May 2008 5:39 am
Rencolyn

South Africa 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Atacama SandDiscovery 3

Thanks for all the different fuel consumption figures, makes one a bit confused but hey, decided to do a short trip next week (Will fill up before the fuel price increase!) to the Karoo National park to check it all out. Not much sand there but will do a mountain trail with the trailer so should get comparative readings.

(The joys of Retirement...... Whistle )
 Ren Colyn
TDV6 HSE 

Post #30455230th May 2008 2:07 pm
Rencolyn

Just returned from our jaunt to the Karoo Nat Park. Great time had.

About consumption figures... open tar road towing a fully laden trailer at 120kph the vehicle's data showed 12.3l/100km but actual calcs were 15.1l/100km. Doing a 4x4 route without the trailer using high range mostly - except for steep mountain downhills - the consumption was 13.7 on the vehicle but actual calcs were 16.2l/100km.

Why the big difference between vehicle & actual?? Rolling Eyes Makes me wonder if the other figures like Range is correct.

All round, a most impressive off-road performance compared to my last pre-loved vehicle!
 Ren Colyn
TDV6 HSE 

Post #31010013th Jun 2008 5:18 pm
heine

Rencolyn wrote:

Why the big difference between vehicle & actual?? Rolling Eyes Makes me wonder if the other figures like Range is correct.

I've found that my consumption has also become quite optimistic since I've had the second tank fitted . I suspect that fuel flows over into the main tank . But mine is only out by about 10 %

Post #31013213th Jun 2008 7:11 pm
Baben

South Africa 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

I was led to understand that the trip computer doesn't calculate the periods when the vehicle is idling and standing still. If this is the case, then I think your off-road consumption would be even less accurate?

I don't remember reading anything to prove this, but the data from quite a few people would indicate that the on-board computer is stretching the truth.

In Ren's case, the difference is huge. I guess you would notice if you had a leak?

Ren, do you have standard tyres or not?

Eg.If your tyres have a larger circumference than standard, the vehicle would be reflecting less distance covered than the actual, hence the displayed consumption per km would be more than actual. (is this right? Shocked I confused myself now)

Did you see any difference between the distances on your odometer and the actuals?

By the way, there is a way to calibrate for tyre changes. I can't remember if this fixes the above problem or not. Its on the settings menu of the navigation.

I have never calculated actual figures when doing a trip, and have purely relied on the OBC and calculated the difference in distance according to the larger tyres, but now I think I need to do a parallel calculation on the next long trip.

Post #31104817th Jun 2008 7:17 am
Rencolyn

Thanks Baden & Heine for the input re the discrepancy on the fuel consumption. I intend to do accurate tests by filling up the tank myself in future.

I have done the 'Stone protection' thing on my trailer. See my gallery under 'Trailer'. Vps will still be a backup on the rear of the vehicle.
 Ren Colyn
TDV6 HSE 

Post #31161618th Jun 2008 7:01 pm
Rencolyn

Been advised that no bookings / sites are available for our planned September trip in the Chobe area (Xakanaxa, Savuti, Linyanti & Ihaha). Anyone been there recently? Do we just arrive and say 'help' or has the system changed? Shocked Any suggestions?
 Ren Colyn
TDV6 HSE 

Post #3167562nd Jul 2008 3:36 pm
heine

YMMV - I managed to get into Savuti - but Moremi was FOS . But sometimes a small "African Handshake " will make a differance

Post #3167712nd Jul 2008 4:52 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply Back to top
Page 3 of 3 <123
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >