Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Australia & New Zealand

Doing a trip in a RRS
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
dukemasterpro

Australia 2010 Discovery 4 TDV6 SE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 4
Doing a trip in a RRS

Having done a few day tagalongs in a Disco 3 and more lately a 4 day High Country trip in the ( new ) RRS TDV8, we have been giving thought to something longer this time next year. ( 10-20 days ).

Since there's not a lot of off roading talked about on RRS.co.uk, I figured the Disco3 board may be able to advise on a few things we are trying to work out before making serious plans for next year.

Tyres - pretty much narrowed this down to Goodyear MT/R's as the only one to fit the 19" rim / Brembo brake package. Been quoted $3,880 for 4 of these. Tyres are $581 each, may be able to get 2nd hand 19"''s from a sport or vogue who is upgrading. WHat would these be like on the tarmac section of the trip, say to Alice Springs from Sydney? Also does the same tyre fit under where the spare is now, would a matching MT/R spare be needed?
Roof rack - $945 for a Rhino Rack ( have not got factory tracks ). Are accessories like Jerry can holders necessary?
Snorkel? Only seen prices on Ebay around $600 US for this. Would a D3 snorkel fit and is it an essential?
Drawers? Any recommendations on price to set this up?
Cargo barrier - would a D3 barrier fit?
Fridge/freezer - what's good for 2-4 adults?
Battery system for fridge, lights, maybe laptop - there are 2 black covers under the bonnet ( one with a battery in like the D3 I think, the other is empty )

Look forward to hearing your comments on the above, if anyone's done a similar trip with 4 adults in the car would appreciate knowing whether we can all fit in and get the gear we need without breaking the bank!

[/list]

Post #2952164th May 2008 1:28 am
catweasel

not sure what would fit, battery wise but start here http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/topic19587.html?highlight=optima
dont know about the tyre fitting but would strongly recommend maintaining tyre type.
extra fuel is always nice insurance and I'm sure a jerry on the rack would suffice. I took a spare 60 litres and never came close to using it and this was with towing my camper. you should find a servo of some description within 400kms. just check prior to departure that they will be open. and double check your bank balance to make sure you can pay for it
I doubt the barrier would fit and suggest you contact blackwidow and the likes for a drawer system Question
fridge/freezer ? are you taking a trailer, camper, off road van or tenting it.
make sure at the very least you have a good supply of drinking water.

Post #2952174th May 2008 2:48 am
dukemasterpro

Yep, there'd be 4 of us camping in two tents so a lot of gear..... Laughing

Post #2952344th May 2008 8:03 am
WhiteD3

Australia 2007 Discovery 3 4.0 V6 Petrol SE Auto Chawton WhiteDiscovery 3

Mate,

For local knowledge you need to join here.

www.aulro.com

Post #2952354th May 2008 8:05 am
PBob

Australia 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

You need at least one and really two 20 litre jerris of diesel to take. You probably won't need them, but if you take a wrong road and find you have to back track say 80km, all of a sudden you do. Fill your tank whenever possible and just keep the jerry cans full. You can use them when you get home. You need a second spare and you will need at least 20 litres of drinking water for the use of your troops. With two tents etc, give thought to hiring a solid box trailer or, have you thought of hiring a bus?! (Maybe I cart too much stuff). I also hope you may be travelling with another vehicle, UHF radios between vehicles are the go.
 2006 HSE TDV6 Bonatti Grey, ECB bull bar, tropical roof, LG Next G car kit, Tom Tom GPS, UHF, Mitchell Bros tow bar, Kimberley Kamper Limited Edition camper trailer and 23 foot Haines Signature half cabin (Towed separately!) 

Last edited by PBob on 4th May 2008 8:51 am. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #2952414th May 2008 8:48 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
StornowaySA

Australia 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 4
RRS

The traxide battery system and an Optima Yellow top is a cynch to fit in the RRS and a must for serious off road camping; Rather than drawers (which are expensive, custom fit, etc) why not fit a hella socket in the back next to the 12v socket (wired to the Optima Yellowp top) and just run a fridge on a fridge slide (Waeco very good and a little lower than Engel); With 4 of you space will be a premium so you probably will need a roof rack / tray. Be aware of weight limits; Why $3800 for tyres?? Isnt it 4 x $561?? anyway, unless you plan serious off road then 1 spare of teh quality you are talking should be OK; if you are concerned I doubt the roof rack would take another spare, plus 20L of fuel and your gear - too much weight for the roof. I suspect there are now long range tanks, rear wheel carriers etc for the RRS but not certain - and $$$ mount up!

Boy I'd love a fully kitted out TDV8 though - mt chipped TDV6 is great but nothing beats 600Nm plus of torque for off road towing!! Thumbs Up
 MY2010 D4 HSE 3.0, e-diff, 19inch MTR's; LLAMS Height adjustor, LR f & r light guards, LR side steps, LR bright finish side door mouldings; LR/Mantec G4 front bash plate, LR G4 Winch kit, Warn 9500lb Winch; GOE compressor guard, Uniden UHF, LR bright finish roof rails, LR G4 driving light kit, LR G4 ladder, 4 x extra rear compartment 12V sockets, Traxide dual battery system and Optima Yellowtop battery, ORS drawer system / fridge slide, LED rear compartment lighting.  
Post #2952424th May 2008 8:50 am
catweasel

Re: RRS

BlackPerth wrote:
I doubt the roof rack would take another spare,
could always just take a carcass and some tyre levers.  
Post #2952644th May 2008 9:35 am
Desert Traveller

Australia 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Chawton WhiteDiscovery 3

Where are you travelling? How much offroad etc
What are the other vehicles and how many?
How old is your RRS? Is it still covered by LRA assist?
All this will determine what you need to carry. Too much is as bad as too little.
 06 TDV6 SE with many LR and after-market extras. Used only on weekends and trips out west.
Audi TT Roadster (Daily and around town drive)
VW Eos TDI For Sale
Previously 01 TD5 and 94 TDI 

Post #2953124th May 2008 11:03 am
catweasel

RRS is a TDV8

Post #2953174th May 2008 11:11 am
Alicatt

Belgium 

For tarmac the tyres are fine and rated up to 170km/h, slight bit of noise from them but not too bad, I regularly do 1500km trips with my TDV8 and have now put about 6000km on them with little signs of wear. They work quite well in the wet too and have surprised me with the level of grip they have. Not done much more than forestry tracks and the fields on my farm so can't say for sure how good or bad they are off road but they are better than the 20" conti sports I have, they also have a much more supple and less harsh ride on the tarmac.

Post #2954894th May 2008 10:44 pm
DingMark

Iraq 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Ipanema SandDiscovery 4

I've managed the tyre issue by having a set of (RRS) wheels with highway tyres and the original 8" wide wheels mounted with MTRs. Then got a small but robust trailer to carry the extra tyres, water and other supplies (especially with the rooftop tent filling that space). Despite the European comments about MTRs not being noisy, I've found quite the opposite on our more sunbleached bitumen (the Centre's sun evaporates the butumen making a coarser road). MRTs are much less likely to suffer sliced sidewalls (numerous threads on this issue).

Before getting the MTRs I had two instances of slicing sidewalls on the standard Goodyears and quickly realising that at that moment I had no spare. Carrying 2 spares is great insurance (even a spare tyre but not a spare wheel - it's light and can hold a propane cylinder on the roofrack. I doubt 19" are common in The Alice so purchasing a replacement tyre may take a week Shocked ). I have run with one MTR and three standard Goodyears (probably analagous to the converse) and noted a slight difference in handling when cornering (but not many corners on the NT roads). However when mixing 2 MTRs on the back with standards on the front - WOOAHH - It drove like an unloaded Falcon ute on dirt roads and I nearly lost it. I've paid $550 each for MTRs mounted and that's with Perth labor costs, so your quote is high.

I have the raised air intake. It is nearly invisible from inside and seems to never suck up any dust, but I'm not sure I'd hassle with getting one installed for a "1-off" trip. Might be easier to carry a spare air filter and make sure you have the tools and practice at changing it instead. I always make sure I have a week's supply of water (and a pre-installed 1 week food supply already installed on my waist) and an EPIRB onboard. Reduces the chance of a lingering death to near zero (unless a vehicle fire occurs at which point one may wish to just join the vehicle and get it over quicker).
 Jim Dowell - D4 HSE TDi, 12,000 hydraulic winch & hidden winch mount, MTRs, TyreDog, Traxide 2 x aux battery system, fixed air compressor, Dolium roof rack, MitchHitch.
RIP 2005 D3 HSE V8 5 seater gold (stolen and torched) 

Post #2954945th May 2008 2:59 am
dukemasterpro

Re: RRS

catweasel wrote:
BlackPerth wrote:
I doubt the roof rack would take another spare,
could always just take a carcass and some tyre levers.

That is a great money saving idea, the Bush Mechanic on our tag-along could get his levers outif we ask nicely.

Post #2955635th May 2008 10:09 am
dukemasterpro

Desert Traveller wrote:
Where are you travelling? How much offroad etc
What are the other vehicles and how many?
How old is your RRS? Is it still covered by LRA assist?
All this will determine what you need to carry. Too much is as bad as too little.

It's an 07 RRS, which would be covered by LRA assist though I am skeptical as to where they would get you from, our trip research is focused on starting around Alice Springs. Would expect the tagalong leader to have the recovery and safety gear.
No plans to change car in the next 18-24 months and only doing minimal k's round Sydney now so the idea to slightly modify and get a few accessories seems to be the way to do it.

Also looking into the prospect of hiring a camper trailer for 2-3 weeks so that can lug the gear and give the in-laws some comfort, this may be better than getting a lot of one-off items such as drawers, roof rack etc.

Post #2955645th May 2008 10:20 am
Desert Traveller

Australia 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Chawton WhiteDiscovery 3

So from the sounds of it there will be no real hard core 4wdriving. Trailers are good for carrying gear but have a few inherant problems on gravel roads, the major one is stones can bounce off the trailer and smash your rear windscreen (big $).
Have a talk to the tag-along company to find out what problems thay have experienced on previous trips with what vehicles.
As your vehicle is near new and in good nick I'd carry the basics spares as covered by others in this thread.
Tyres, water, frig (or 2), fuses, basic spares (fan belt, bottom radiator hose, sealants etc).
You will probably have more problems with the trailer than the RRS so trailer spares need to be carried. I have seen the remains of a lot of trailers in the outback. Keep it light as more weight means for failures.

Bottom line, enjoy the trip, the chance of any real problems are quite remote. Smile
 06 TDV6 SE with many LR and after-market extras. Used only on weekends and trips out west.
Audi TT Roadster (Daily and around town drive)
VW Eos TDI For Sale
Previously 01 TD5 and 94 TDI 

Post #2956875th May 2008 10:43 pm
norto

Australia 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Chawton WhiteDiscovery 3

Well said
The myths usually outweigh the facts
 Pete  
Post #2956895th May 2008 10:47 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to: