Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Australia & New Zealand

Doing a trip in a RRS
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
simon_arch1

Australia 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

Hi,
Pls excuse this semi-commercial response, but hopefully it will be helpful.

4x4intelligence has been doing accessories for the D3 for sometime, and we are now starting on the RRS. Very soon we'll have a spare wheel carrier for the RRS, similar to our D3 model, and I know that an aux fuel tank is available. Some of the underbody kit is available as well.

Cargo barrier - is sort-of available - though we need a local vehicle to initially measure-up - will be very similar to the D3 unit.

Definitely go for the traxide aux bettery system - well worthwhile.

feel free to contact me at sarch@4x4intelligence.com.au for follow-up.

cheers,

Simon
 D3 - Buckingham Blue, SE, TDV6, 06 model; chipped; underbody armour; Mickey Thompson ATZ 275/65-18 AND MAXXIS Bighorn muddies; rear wheel carrier from 4x4intelligence.com; iPOD aux connection! GME 3200 UHF - aerial mounted on wheel carrier Smile; LR roof rails/cross bars; Autosafe cargo barrier, Safari Snorkel; Traxide - aux battery; ARB bull bar with Tigerz11 winch; Lightforce 240 XGT driving lights (mitchell bros tow hitch to come)  
Post #2956995th May 2008 11:57 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
eran48

Australia 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

G'day everybody,

I am reading with interest the suggestions of spare tyres on roof racks. Here're are my two bob's worth of experience.

I have the Rhino platform rack - this rack sits just about 2 metres off the ground on the D3.

My Goodyear MTR's with steel rims weigh well over 35 kgs each.

I have found that there is no way I can safely lift the tyre up to the roof rack or safely bring it down - either by myself or even with somebody else helping me. Certainly not without a high risk of damage to persons or vehicle or both! The tyre is just too big, cumbersome and heavy.

I would strongly (pun intended Whistle ) recommend that you have a go at actually lifting your tyre up before even contemplating putting one on a roof rack.

Needless to say, BE CAREFUL! Dropping a tyre on your head or doing your back in will end all future trips and holidays quick smart. Shocked Shocked

Cheers.

Post #2957056th May 2008 1:08 am
dukemasterpro

Australia 2010 Discovery 4 TDV6 SE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 4

Desert Traveller wrote:
So from the sounds of it there will be no real hard core 4wdriving. Trailers are good for carrying gear but have a few inherant problems on gravel roads, the major one is stones can bounce off the trailer and smash your rear windscreen (big $).
Have a talk to the tag-along company to find out what problems thay have experienced on previous trips with what vehicles.
As your vehicle is near new and in good nick I'd carry the basics spares as covered by others in this thread.
Tyres, water, frig (or 2), fuses, basic spares (fan belt, bottom radiator hose, sealants etc).
You will probably have more problems with the trailer than the RRS so trailer spares need to be carried. I have seen the remains of a lot of trailers in the outback. Keep it light as more weight means for failures.

Bottom line, enjoy the trip, the chance of any real problems are quite remote. Smile

This is the trip we would possibly like to do, with a trailer?? ( have not got feedback from the tagalong guys yet on a trailer )

Anyone had good / bad experiences with hiring an off road camper trailer?

Broken Hill, Sturt NP, Cameron Corner, Innamincka, the Dig Tree, a night in the Birdsville Hotel where dinner Bed & Breakfast is included, into the Simpson Desert, over the largest sand dunes in the desert including Big Red, Poeppel Corner, the French, WAA, and Rig Road (we criss cross the Desert), Purnie Bore, Dalhousie Springs, Mt Dare, the Old Ghan railway line, Chambers Pillar, special access to a private cattle station, 2 nights at fabulous Kings Canyon, the Mereenie Loop, Palm Valley, the Finke River NP, the amazing Boggy Hole, Henbury Meteorite Crater, Rainbow Valley and finally beautiful Alice Springs.

Would need 140 litres of diesel for this, maybe more as the V8 diesel is bit thirstier than the V6 Big Cry

Re: the spares I priced up with a dealer all the various belts and hoses and apart from most being out of stock it was about $700-800 for the lot, granted you may need them and it is unlikely I would have any spares from upcoming service due to low KM's. Do you think a dealer would let you "borrow" them in return for good publicity?

Post #2957136th May 2008 3:20 am
Desert Traveller

Australia 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Chawton WhiteDiscovery 3

Censored . Rolling Eyes
You are doing a full Simpson crossing, trailers will be a problem, they are not recommended. IMHO to tow a trailer across you will need to an experienced offroader and have done a lot of sand work. I have travelled the Simpson numerous times and would not take a trailer across, but it can be done with a light weight trailer.
Even without a trailer you will use 120 litres (D3 TDV6) plus to cross from Birdsville to Mt Dare. You will need to run your 19" tyres at low pressures, my guess 15 psi and drive carefully. You will need a good tyre compressor.

How many persons in your RRS? Is the trip self catered?

It is very nice itinery, I'd love to do that trip but not heavily loaded.

PM me your phone number if you want more feedback.
 06 TDV6 SE with many LR and after-market extras. Used only on weekends and trips out west.
Audi TT Roadster (Daily and around town drive)
VW Eos TDI For Sale
Previously 01 TD5 and 94 TDI 

Post #2957146th May 2008 3:55 am
catweasel

and the rangers aren't keen on trailers in boggy hole or Finke NP and will charge you for recovery ( or the people they call will) as they are not allowed to recover vehicles and it may be a long wait too. your choice

Post #2957756th May 2008 8:31 am
ianv

Australia 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Intersting thing with trailers is that set up makes a massive difference, I've attached a picture from a crossing last year where an Alice Spirngs local with a lifetimes experience, he was the trip lead, put a couple of tons of trailer behind a petrol v8 4wd F250. Wheels and tyres sized up and pressure set to give good footprint, sub 20lb.

He was able to go every where with only a couple of 2 or 3 attempt crossings and no need to be towed.

I did watch a LOT of fuel go through his tanks but he deliberately kept revs down, used v8 torque and avoided wheelspin.

Ultimately though I was happy to be in my disco

TDV6  
Post #2961297th May 2008 9:05 am
dukemasterpro

Desert Traveller wrote:
Censored . Rolling Eyes
You are doing a full Simpson crossing, trailers will be a problem, they are not recommended. IMHO to tow a trailer across you will need to an experienced offroader and have done a lot of sand work. I have travelled the Simpson numerous times and would not take a trailer across, but it can be done with a light weight trailer.
Even without a trailer you will use 120 litres (D3 TDV6) plus to cross from Birdsville to Mt Dare. You will need to run your 19" tyres at low pressures, my guess 15 psi and drive carefully. You will need a good tyre compressor.

How many persons in your RRS? Is the trip self catered?

It is very nice itinery, I'd love to do that trip but not heavily loaded.

PM me your phone number if you want more feedback.

Appreciate all the feedback from everyone on D3,

Desert Traveller have you done the Simpson Crossing with 4 adults in the party? Will PM my number.

Post #2961627th May 2008 10:44 am
dukemasterpro

simon_arch1 wrote:
Hi,
Pls excuse this semi-commercial response, but hopefully it will be helpful.

4x4intelligence has been doing accessories for the D3 for sometime, and we are now starting on the RRS. Very soon we'll have a spare wheel carrier for the RRS, similar to our D3 model, and I know that an aux fuel tank is available. Some of the underbody kit is available as well.

Cargo barrier - is sort-of available - though we need a local vehicle to initially measure-up - will be very similar to the D3 unit.

Definitely go for the traxide aux bettery system - well worthwhile.

feel free to contact me at sarch@4x4intelligence.com.au for follow-up.

cheers,

Simon

Thanks Simon - have emailed you re: the above

Post #29753111th May 2008 6:00 am
dukemasterpro

Well, unless we have some unexpected guests or pickup some hitchers it will just be Mr and Mrs DMP on the trip. Very Happy

Just found out that the in laws back in Blighty are moving house around the same time as our planned trip so won't be able to come. Rolling Eyes

This is a shame but saves having to buy a large fridge to feed us all, lug a lot of gear around on the roof and in the car.
Downside is 1 less driver to share the Km's to Broken Hill and back from there or Alice.

Oh it's all very exciting, can't wait! Whistle

Post #29758811th May 2008 12:15 pm
catweasel

dukemasterpro wrote:
Downside is 1 less driver to share the Km's to Broken Hill and back from there or Alice.
this is the comical section of this post I pressume.  
Post #29759111th May 2008 12:50 pm
StornowaySA

Australia 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 4

I'm doing my first Trip in the D3 in July and visiting some of the same spots you have listed - cant wait! I'm heading over to Adelaide and joining up with brother (Jeep Commander) and the Jeep Club of SA...so have packed my recovery gear Laughing

Itinerary is:

Friday July 4th
Adelaide to Woomera= 476kms

Saturday July 5th
Woomera to Coward Springs=267kms

Sunday July 6th
Coward Springs to Oodnadatta =276kms

Monday July 7th
Oodnadatta to Dalhousie Springs=189kms
Bush Camping Dalhousie Springs

Tuesday July 8th
Dalhousie Springs to Chambers Pillar
via Mt Dare & Finke & Old Ghan Track

Wed July 9th
Chambers Pillar to Alice Springs

Thurs July 10th
Alice Springs-Winter Sun Caravan Park

Fri July 11th
Alice Springs to Palm Valley-bush camping
Toilets & showers available:

Sat July 12th

Sun July 13th
Kings Creek Station

Mon July 14th
Kings Creek Station to Yulara 262kms
Ayers Rock Resort Campground

Tues July 15th
Ayers Rock Resort Campground

Wednesday July 16th
Yulara to Coober Pedy

Thursday July 17th
Coober Pedy to Spear Creek
538kms

Friday July 18th
298kms: Easy run home to SA (D3 trucked back to Perth!)
 MY2010 D4 HSE 3.0, e-diff, 19inch MTR's; LLAMS Height adjustor, LR f & r light guards, LR side steps, LR bright finish side door mouldings; LR/Mantec G4 front bash plate, LR G4 Winch kit, Warn 9500lb Winch; GOE compressor guard, Uniden UHF, LR bright finish roof rails, LR G4 driving light kit, LR G4 ladder, 4 x extra rear compartment 12V sockets, Traxide dual battery system and Optima Yellowtop battery, ORS drawer system / fridge slide, LED rear compartment lighting.  
Post #29812913th May 2008 4:58 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >