Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

Outside Temperature - incorrect
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
AN

Hungary 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3
Outside Temperature - incorrect

My car stays in heated garage at home and at work. Outside temp is around 4C and garage temp is around 13C. Recently, around twice a week, when I start the car, the outside temp shown on the display is the same as last reading before it was switched off. Like it shows 4C in the garage (which is around 13C) after 10 hours standing there, after 5-10min. it start to show the correct temp. All the software, except body, has been recently updated, but this did not cure the problem.

Anybody had this on his or her car? I know this is not a major fault and hope will not develop to one.

Regards, AN
 LR D3 S Black, Auto TDV6  
Post #306141st Dec 2005 2:01 pm
BN

England 
Re: Outside Temperature - incorrect

AN wrote:
My car stays in heated garage at home and at work. Outside temp is around 4C and garage temp is around 13C. Recently, around twice a week, when I start the car, the outside temp shown on the display is the same as last reading before it was switched off. Like it shows 4C in the garage (which is around 13C) after 10 hours standing there, after 5-10min. it start to show the correct temp. All the software, except body, has been recently updated, but this did not cure the problem.

Anybody had this on his or her car? I know this is not a major fault and hope will not develop to one.

Regards, AN

Actually AN the outside temp is linked into your Webasto pre heater, so it could have knock on effects. However if your garage is heated and the car is warm generally as a result, then it will take a while for the sensor to register the change once the car is outside. That means your pre heater may not start so early, which in turn means your car engine will not warm up so quickly or the car interior.

Nice point, don't think it is a fault, just your luxury heated garage.

Post #306171st Dec 2005 2:30 pm
AN

Hungary 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Brian,

Thanks, but I think something does not work properly. Out of 10 starts the car shows the correct temp., and once it shows the old one. Looks like to me that somehow the computer(s) does not pick up the correct signal, anyway this is Microsoft technology for you.........

You are right about the FBH, if I get out from my garage to the cold, it takes around 5 min to get the temp under 5C, but I recon this time the coolant temp is higher than the temp where FHB would step in, thus I do not get any FHB action, saving on same fuel.

Regards, AN
 LR D3 S Black, Auto TDV6  
Post #306231st Dec 2005 2:51 pm
BN

England 

AN wrote:
Brian,

Thanks, but I think something does not work properly. Out of 10 starts the car shows the correct temp., and once it shows the old one. Looks like to me that somehow the computer(s) does not pick up the correct signal, anyway this is Microsoft technology for you.........

You are right about the FBH, if I get out from my garage to the cold, it takes around 5 min to get the temp under 5C, but I recon this time the coolant temp is higher than the temp where FHB would step in, thus I do not get any FHB action, saving on same fuel.

Regards, AN

AN, you could well have a fault of course. The FBH can be confused with the sudden temp changes and may also be a bit of a problem as the garage temp is no where near as high as the FBH would make the water.

Post #306361st Dec 2005 4:33 pm
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

I noticed this the other day!

I parked the car up with the air temp at -4 degrees. I did not use the car for a while, when I next started it the weather was much warmer, when I started up, it still showed -4.

It slowly came up to the true air temp after about 5 minutes. Mine is not stored in a garage.

Post #306401st Dec 2005 5:05 pm
BN

England 

Gareth wrote:
I noticed this the other day!

I parked the car up with the air temp at -4 degrees. I did not use the car for a while, when I next started it the weather was much warmer, when I started up, it still showed -4.

It slowly came up to the true air temp after about 5 minutes. Mine is not stored in a garage.

It could be the sensor, in which case it can still effect your pre heater as it is linked. How long was it parked as it could have a little ice on it and still there when you returned, hence the reading

Post #306501st Dec 2005 5:44 pm
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

It was parked up for 17 hours. The ice thing is probably true, because I had driven through 70 miles of heavy snow immediately before parking up.

Post #307411st Dec 2005 8:43 pm
BN

England 

Gareth wrote:
It was parked up for 17 hours. The ice thing is probably true, because I had driven through 70 miles of heavy snow immediately before parking up.

We frose my sensor with plumbers freeze to test something and it took ages to defrst and read correctly.

Post #307471st Dec 2005 9:10 pm
bookert

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

I guess you would need to know how the software is using the data from the temp sensor. Is an instantaneous temperature displayed; is it a rolling average of a number of samples which would smooth the temperature response but also make it slower to update to a 'true' value; if the electronics are powered down is any temperature data stored and then susbsequently used next time the electronics are powered up? Any guesses?

Everyone will have their own idea about what temperature should be displayed or what the software should be doing, but what we don't know is how LR in their wisdom have coded the software!

Post #308142nd Dec 2005 12:18 am
BN

England 

bookert wrote:
I guess you would need to know how the software is using the data from the temp sensor. Is an instantaneous temperature displayed; is it a rolling average of a number of samples which would smooth the temperature response but also make it slower to update to a 'true' value; if the electronics are powered down is any temperature data stored and then susbsequently used next time the electronics are powered up? Any guesses?

Everyone will have their own idea about what temperature should be displayed or what the software should be doing, but what we don't know is how LR in their wisdom have coded the software!

It is not instant that is for sure. The sensor changes about every 5 minutes.

Post #308202nd Dec 2005 7:39 am
bookert

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

BN wrote:
bookert wrote:
I guess you would need to know how the software is using the data from the temp sensor. Is an instantaneous temperature displayed;

<snip>

It is not instant that is for sure. The sensor changes about every 5 minutes.

Unless, of course, the sensor is only sampled about every 5 secs, and that instantaneous sample is displayed. Its over a month since I've driven the D3 so I'm commenting a bit in the blind.

Post #309402nd Dec 2005 10:27 pm
lee01277

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

After I produced this evidence, my dealer swapped out the sensor .. All ok now

Note the time / date in the bottom left corners as proof the pics were kosher

..............Somewhere in-between my old D3 and what's to come next .........  
Post #309422nd Dec 2005 10:43 pm
adara

Romania 

Lee, never mind the temperature, how do you get that fuel consumption???

Post #309493rd Dec 2005 6:10 am
lee01277

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

... by being a very boring driver on m/ways keeping the revs at 1900 ish ....
 ..............Somewhere in-between my old D3 and what's to come next .........  
Post #309563rd Dec 2005 9:22 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >