Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

History of car as it's built
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
gavmurray

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3
History of car as it's built

Does anyone know how to get hold of a cars build history. i.e. everything that is logged against the car as it passes through the production process. Trying to find out if mine had failed QA on the paint finish and then passed through again after the problem was rectified by hand. LR customer relations say they don't have access to this and if they did could not give it to me. My dealer is going to see if he can get it. Guessing it's held at the factory?

Gavin
 Gavin.
06, D3 TDV6 HSE, Buck Blue 

Post #3040730th Nov 2005 2:13 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
aitchy

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

freedom of information act? that might scare them in to "sharing" your history...
 TDV6 HSE Buckingham Blue and still smiling  
Post #3040930th Nov 2005 2:28 pm
10forcash

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

aitchy wrote:
freedom of information act? that might scare them in to "sharing" your history...
think that only applies to government departments - although I could be wrong (again Embarassed ) Fairly sure you could ask for disclosure under the Data Protection Act as your vehicle details will be tied to your personal details as the owner  
Post #3041030th Nov 2005 2:34 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Mossy

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Ten quid they've... "gone missing"...

(X-files theme tune wafts in.....) 8)
 D3 HSE V8...  
Post #3041130th Nov 2005 2:36 pm
Pelyma

England 
Re: History of car as it's built

gavmurray wrote:
Does anyone know how to get hold of a cars build history. i.e. everything that is logged against the car as it passes through the production process. Trying to find out if mine had failed QA on the paint finish and then passed through again after the problem was rectified by hand. LR customer relations say they don't have access to this and if they did could not give it to me. My dealer is going to see if he can get it. Guessing it's held at the factory?

Gavin

Your assuming there is some quality control Laughing
 DS3 TDV6 HSE - Silver with Alpaca (old one) Gone
DS3 TDV6 HSE- Silver with Alpaca (new one) Gone
D4 HSE Lux - Montalcino Red Gone
Porsche Cayenne V8 Diesel S 

Post #3041430th Nov 2005 2:41 pm
Mossy

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Pelyma wrote:
gavmurray wrote:

Gavin

Your assuming there is some quality control Laughing

Oh there is, Ive seen the checklist and there's only one question.

Is it a car? Yes [tic]
Passed :lol
 D3 HSE V8...  
Post #3041630th Nov 2005 2:44 pm
BN

England 

You may recall that when I rejected my car the dealer had a computer failure which deleted their records?????, not saying anything, but they found it difficult to find my 20 visits and they are still looking. It is quite good that my tracking device actually shows each trace to the dealer and records the mileage, bit drastic, but it saved them searching anymore.

Post #3043430th Nov 2005 5:38 pm
Cliff H

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

gavmurray wrote:

Gavin

Didn't you say that there were quite a few cars at your dealership with the same kind of marks?
Sounds more like a careless valeter or bad equipment to me.
My Buckingham blue is a bit 'orange peeley' but I am pleased with the overall finish.
I am very fussy when it comes to paintwork!
Have they tried anything to rectify the problem?
I use a very good polish system called Zaino.
They have 2 products that are very good at swirl marks etc on dark colours, applied correctly ie, not in circular motions it is excellent stuff.
 Zermatt silver 06 reg.

Gone but not forgotten !!! 

Post #3044330th Nov 2005 6:00 pm
gavmurray

Quote:
Didn't you say that there were quite a few cars at your dealership with the same kind of marks?
My Buckingham blue is a bit 'orange peeley' but I am pleased with the overall finish.
They have 2 products that are very good at swirl marks etc on dark colours, applied correctly ie, not in circular motions it is excellent stuff.

I did give them the chance to rectify it. They had it in the body shop on the 3rd day of ownership for 5 days. They used a glaze on it which did not rectify the problem. Noticed today that the parts of the car you can see when the doors are open have dirt under the paint finish. I'm guessing that there was a problem during painting. It failed QA. They falttened/polished out the dirt on the exterior panels (leaving the bits you cannot see when the doors are shut), and that's why I've got a swirly finish when the sun shines.
 Gavin.

Post #3045430th Nov 2005 7:44 pm
Cliff H

gavmurray wrote:
Quote:

I did give them the chance to rectify it. They had it in the body shop on the 3rd day of ownership for 5 days. They used a glaze on it which did not rectify the problem. Noticed today that the parts of the car you can see when the doors are open have dirt under the paint finish. I'm guessing that there was a problem during painting. It failed QA. They falttened/polished out the dirt on the exterior panels (leaving the bits you cannot see when the doors are shut), and that's why I've got a swirly finish when the sun shines.

Wow that sounds bad!!!!

Hope you get your replacement and don't go paying for any 'mileage'
This shouldnt happen on a 7 grand car let alone a D3.

Should have been picked up on the PDI no doubt.
 Zermatt silver 06 reg.

Post #3049830th Nov 2005 9:11 pm
gavmurray

will they try and charge for mileage if it's rejected even though I raised the issue on day 2 of ownership?
 Gavin.

Post #306901st Dec 2005 6:29 pm
BN

England 

gavmurray wrote:
will they try and charge for mileage if it's rejected even though I raised the issue on day 2 of ownership?

Yes

Post #306981st Dec 2005 6:44 pm
gavmurray

why. surely it's down to them to resolve the problem asap.
 Gavin.

Post #307181st Dec 2005 7:35 pm
Cliff H

These things tend to take quite a while to resolve, at which time they hit you for the mileage.
Don't let them talk you into repainting which I am sure they will try.
The car will never be the same.
 Zermatt silver 06 reg.

Post #307221st Dec 2005 7:40 pm
Cliff H

Just keep hassling the dealer principle.
 Zermatt silver 06 reg.

Post #307231st Dec 2005 7:41 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >