DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

Uneven tyre wear / 4-wheel alignment
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>
Winger
Site Moderator 

2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Aintree GreenDiscovery 4
Uneven tyre wear / 4-wheel alignment

A number of Forum members have reported/experienced uneven tyre wear - in my case this was noticeabl to a great extent on the inner O/S/F and inner O/S/R, and to a lesser extent on the inner N/S/F.

I have now had the full four-wheel steering alignment completed, and camber adjustment was out on all four wheels, and the toe on both right wheels was also out - which explains the inner edge tyre wear.

Needless to say, the output data from the test is considerable and probably confusing too Rolling Eyes , but if anyone has a concern, please feel free to PM me and I will give you the lowdown.

Post adjustment, MPG has increased, steering is better, ride is better and on road handling is markedly improved. And the best bit, it didn't cost me a penny..... Smile

Post #3038430th Nov 2005 1:22 pm
simon

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Mine is in for its 30K miles pampering and I have asked the dealer to check alignment / tyre wear. They should swap em over left to right as part of the service too so am interested in how the stepped wear you get on the wranglers will behave now as the steps will be facing the other direction ??

Even though the tyres are regularly check air pressure wise... the centre of the tyre seems to wear more than the outside edges which are still very good wear wise.

Would have suspected over inflation for this. Maybe its the motorway driving I do rather than using A / B roads which would stress the tyres more ?

-s

Post #3039030th Nov 2005 1:38 pm
Winger
Site Moderator 

I have Scorpions on mine. The wear was confined to the shoulder area of the tyre. All the wheels have been swapped around, and rebalanced, so I shall be keeping a close eye on ongoing wear.

Post #3039430th Nov 2005 1:48 pm
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

How many miles have you done? My dealer wants to charge £135 for this, as mine is on 30k.

Post #3042730th Nov 2005 6:09 pm
Winger
Site Moderator 

Post #3042830th Nov 2005 6:23 pm
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

Hmmm I see. I suppose my dealer may have some justification, especially as I have been off-road with it.

I just put new boots on, so I guess the problem will go away for another year Wink

Post #3043030th Nov 2005 6:27 pm
BN

England 

Winger wrote:

Winger did your car pull to the nearside by any chance?

Post #3043330th Nov 2005 6:34 pm
Winger
Site Moderator 

No, a pretty straight runner - straight enough to take your hands of the wheel on a straight piece of road Shocked

The settings were well out, and as the vehicle has not been subjected to anything out of the ordinary, I have to assume that is how it came out of the factory.

It is much, much better now, and the consumption has improved by about 1MPG.

Post #3044130th Nov 2005 6:53 pm
BN

England 

Winger wrote:
No, a pretty straight runner - straight enough to take your hands of the wheel on a straight piece of road Shocked

The settings were well out, and as the vehicle has not been subjected to anything out of the ordinary, I have to assume that is how it came out of the factory.

It is much, much better now, and the consumption has improved by about 1MPG.

Mine has always pulled very slightly to the left and I wonder if it also has that error as well. I didn't notice it too much until I drove my motorhome and that steers like a train on a track, brilliant. Then I went back to the D3 and noticed immediately.

Post #3044430th Nov 2005 7:01 pm
Slimer
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

I've noticed a bit of extra wear on the NSF outside, OSF was swapped at 5k allong with the defective alloy so I don't really know if it was doing the same. Both rear tyres seemed to be wearing normally. Done over 11k on them now but having swapped them on and off with the Coopers that many times now I've lost track now of which one started where so keeping track of the wear is a bit tricky.
 The End  
Post #3044530th Nov 2005 7:02 pm
BN

England 

Slimer wrote:
I've noticed a bit of extra wear on the NSF outside, OSF was swapped at 5k allong with the defective alloy so I don't really know if it was doing the same. Both rear tyres seemed to be wearing normally. Done over 11k on them now but having swapped them on and off with the Coopers that many times now I've lost track now of which one started where so keeping track of the wear is a bit tricky.

That is my problem as I am on the Coopers now. I know the front and rears due to the pressures, but not the L or R.

By the way, the best all round pressure for the Coopers is 30psi front and 34psi rear, that will take you on road and off road without altering the pressures. Extreme off road then it is down to the situation of course.

Post #3044830th Nov 2005 7:06 pm
simon

BN wrote:

Mine has always pulled very slightly to the left and I wonder if it also has that error as well. I didn't notice it too much until I drove my motorhome and that steers like a train on a track, brilliant. Then I went back to the D3 and noticed immediately.

Mine pulls to the left slightly too. And my NSF type is worn slightly more than the rest that are about even - just had her serviced sir - so have the measurements if anyone wants them.

Maybe the slight left pull is normal. No where near enough pull to notice if your holding the helm unless you start to tram line or let go of the wheel. It then pulls very slightly.

A safety feature maybe ?

Post #3046530th Nov 2005 9:16 pm
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

How was the service Simon? did you need brakes or anything?

Post #3046630th Nov 2005 9:22 pm
simon

Gareth wrote:
How was the service Simon? did you need brakes or anything?

She loved it !

All clean and sparkly too Smile

No problems found at all and not the pads are fine. Maybe cause mines a manual and I do a lot of motorway cruising ? All green ticks on the Healthcheck sheet which I get given.

Also there are scratches pointed out on the sheet too so will see if I am aware of these or not. I know I have a few (Rockingham, Devon, Cornwall etc).

Told me they didn't swap the wheels round which is odd as the tick is in the box on the Maintenance check sheet - will check in the morning as it was dark when I collected it.

Will be able to tell as the stepped wear will be the other way and I know of a few scratches on the alloys - battle scars from Tixover.

Not sure if its necessary though ? Is it ? Please let me know and I'll ask them to do this for me.

Tread wear is :

NSF 3 3 4
OSF 5 4 3
OSR 5 4 4
NSR 4 4 5

Need a new windscreen under warranty as there is about 3-4 inches of elements not working right in front of my field of vision. Not that bothered as it only takes a couple of sweeps of the wipers to get rid. But hey... be nice and clean on the inside again Smile Good of LR to do this.

Heated washers I am convinced are not working or very good. But voltage present. Maybe my washer mix as the tank is a gallon and I usually only put in half a litre - advise on mix would be good. So maybe pipes frozen and tips not ?

Also controlled by thermostat so this may be faulty and have been asked to report if it happens again next low temp morning.

Latest software already installed - they upgrade every-time the car goes in for anything.

-s

Post #3048330th Nov 2005 9:58 pm
BN

England 

simon wrote:
BN wrote:

Mine pulls to the left slightly too. And my NSF type is worn slightly more than the rest that are about even - just had her serviced sir - so have the measurements if anyone wants them.

Maybe the slight left pull is normal. No where near enough pull to notice if your holding the helm unless you start to tram line or let go of the wheel. It then pulls very slightly.

A safety feature maybe ?

A well aligned car should not pull, not even the Jimny pulls on the steering.

Post #3048730th Nov 2005 10:02 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >