DISCO3.CO.UK > Off Roading & Green Laning

Discovery 1,2,3,4,5 off road group
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
RogB

United Kingdom 
Discovery 1,2,3,4,5 off road group

?si=WR8rfaYIyVlV9VKb

interesting video I thought, and seeing how big the D5 is compared to the rest.
 2011 D4 XS 305 MY12 - gone but not forgotten  
Post #23727308th Jul 2024 10:57 am
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 

Interesting also the required difference in technique. With the old stuff it's line it up and floor it as often as not. With the newer stuff, it's go as slow as possible and let the TC and TR work their magic.
 Visiting from rrsport.co.uk
2012 RRS SDV6
2008 RRS TDV8
"When you fire that first shot, no matter how right you feel, you have no idea who's going to die! You don't know who's children are going to scream and burn. How many hearts will be broken. How many lives shattered. How much blood will spill, until everybody does what they were always going to have to do from the very beginning: SIT DOWN AND TALK!" 

Post #23727678th Jul 2024 7:50 pm
RogB

United Kingdom 

The older the vehicle the less precious you are about it, a few underbody dings and minor bodywork damage is probably not an issue but the D4 and the D5 are a lot of money in relation to the D1 and D2 and even the D3 so are driven naturally more cautiously.

I think the guy in the D5 is an experienced off roader, Ive seen that car and reg plate on quite a few videos over the years.
Post #23727969th Jul 2024 7:23 am
gstuart

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Many thks rob for sharing the video , very interesting

Indeed with regards to speed in allowing the TC to work as the discoveries went up a model

Also trying to think where I’ve seen that D5 before , looked a very heavy rig and at first thought he had the solar panel on the bonnet

shame the D3 had done a coil conversion, bet the ride quality was a lot smoother in the D4/5 with the air suspension , see there was also a mixture of tyres

Thks again

Post #23728179th Jul 2024 12:18 pm
RogB

United Kingdom 

yeh i thought it was quite a good comparison group.... different tyres, some modded some not, D1 no TC but D2 probably had basic early TC, coils over air, modern TC/TR

The D5 IMO was more of an overlander rather than greenlaner, bit too top heavy for some of the lanes.

Think i would have been having a trouser accident if the lean angle got too far Laughing
Post #23728299th Jul 2024 2:33 pm
gstuart

Bless u as that’s the word I was thinking of, ref over landing and totally agree due to the tent making it top heavy , notable the huge risk of damage when it got near a tree and further on risk of doors getting damaged when it dropped down in that wheel up section

Also think it was the D4 that had some magnetic side panels to protect the sides from scratches etc , thought that was a great idea

Seeing this reminds me of some of the Aussie off road trips , talk about putting there vehicles and equipment to the test , seen some even towing trailers

?si=2-GXTMTvRANN-X0n

Post #23728349th Jul 2024 3:09 pm
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 

gstuart wrote:

shame the D3 had done a coil conversion, bet the ride quality was a lot smoother in the D4/5 with the air suspension , see there was also a mixture of tyres

Not sure why people make the Disco in to a coiler. I guess there is still some concern about airbags. Probably a hang over from the P38's air bags that did fail at times. But the P38's bags are exposed where the Discos aren't.

The D4 isn't stock:
Quote:
The D4 is a lot more modified than it looks. She's got full underbody guards, the rock sliders, and engine remap and a lift kit, she's covered in self healing film as well. I just didn't activate the lift kit for the day kept the suspension factory mode. That corner on spicy lane is a lot harder than it looks. And I had the car in the wrong Terrain response mode too the first time I tried to go up. Slippery mode works best there... for any future reference.
from the video comments. Visiting from rrsport.co.uk
2012 RRS SDV6
2008 RRS TDV8
"When you fire that first shot, no matter how right you feel, you have no idea who's going to die! You don't know who's children are going to scream and burn. How many hearts will be broken. How many lives shattered. How much blood will spill, until everybody does what they were always going to have to do from the very beginning: SIT DOWN AND TALK!" 

Post #23728359th Jul 2024 4:27 pm
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 

RogB wrote:

The D5 IMO was more of an overlander rather than greenlaner, bit too top heavy for some of the lanes.

He had about half a tonne of unnecessary kit on the D5 - unnecessary for this lane, that is. I bet it's a cracking overlander.

Good point about the age / purchase price of the vehicles. Having said that, the older ones are probably actually quite expensive if one were to replace them like-for-like: the kit they've had added and the other mods would all make them quite pricey to replicate. Probably more than the replacement price of the D3 in the video.
2012 RRS SDV6
2008 RRS TDV8

Post #23728369th Jul 2024 4:28 pm
RogB

United Kingdom 

RRSTDV8 wrote:
gstuart wrote:

Not sure why people make the Disco in to a coiler. I guess there is still some concern about airbags. Probably a hang over from the P38's air bags that did fail at times. But the P38's bags are exposed where the Discos aren't.

The D4 isn't stock:
Quote:
The D4 is a lot more modified than it looks. She's got full underbody guards, the rock sliders, and engine remap and a lift kit, she's covered in self healing film as well. I just didn't activate the lift kit for the day kept the suspension factory mode. That corner on spicy lane is a lot harder than it looks. And I had the car in the wrong Terrain response mode too the first time I tried to go up. Slippery mode works best there... for any future reference.
from the video comments.

ah ok, I cant see comments as I view via my work laptop (actually its only my only laptop/PC Laughing ) so comments are blocked.

Out of all of those I would have had the D4, stock or not. Very Happy
Post #237289710th Jul 2024 7:49 am
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 

Out of that selection, I'd have had the D4 too. Thumbs Up
2012 RRS SDV6
2008 RRS TDV8

Post #237290310th Jul 2024 9:03 am
gstuart

Totally agree in having the D4 , hopefully one day

As a side note I believe the 5.0 D4 have rear locking diffs as standard
L

Post #237293610th Jul 2024 2:35 pm
gstuart

RRSTDV8 wrote:
gstuart wrote:

The D4 isn't stock:
Quote:
from the video comments.

Many thks and great point about the struts in how there protected

Post #237293710th Jul 2024 2:40 pm
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 

gstuart wrote:
Totally agree in having the D4 , hopefully one day

As a side note I believe the 5.0 D4 have rear locking diffs as standard
L

The 5.0 D4 would be an import, wouldn't it? Don't think they ever sold the 5.0 in the UK.

And I think the rear locking diff was an option included in the "HD Pack" offered in the US. The HD Pack also added the full size spare I think.
2012 RRS SDV6
2008 RRS TDV8

Post #237294010th Jul 2024 3:15 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >