DISCO3.CO.UK > My Discovery 4

New to forum and land rovers
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
CuppaT

Scotland 
New to forum and land rovers

Hello,
New to me next week, 3.0 sdv6 hse LR4. Always wanted one, always been talked out of it. After some car trouble on the way down to Cornwall with our caravan I sweet talked my better three quarters into spending the day looking for a replacement motor.
She likes practical things, we have 2 young kids and a dog and occasional caravan holidays to think about.

What could be more practical?! says me to she. We live in quite a rural area in the highlands. Now the last 2 winters being quite severe, I vividly remember the conversation about 4x4 cars, but come spring all is forgotten and we just pay the 30 quid road tax on her citroen, I continue breathing life into a Ford ranger, thriving on abuse and neglect.
Click image to enlarge

I could yarn on! Anyway hopefully here is a picture of the slightly demonic black on black with the black bits discovery. I was quite taken with it, at the back of the lot awaiting preparation, minding it's own business. Its currently at the body shop having some bits sorted, but will be mine for the collecting middle of next week.

2 owners, 92K, plenty of history and this year has had the following done, body off for chassis deep clean remedial work and waxoyl, cam belt & water pump, air compressor service and gearbox flush.
Certainly one of the tidier ones i have seen, I was gone an hour with it on trade plates up and down country lines and bypass and it did not miss a beat. I was determined to find out what it was hiding. It all just seemed so good, so solid and like it was dare I say it meant to be?
Now me being a product of Yorkshire parent brought up in the highlands I just wasnt having it, theres no way it's what is says on the tin. So on the ramp it went, and underneath it a brew was had with the guy. I'm never interested in the shiny paint of a car or how good it looks on the forecourt or driveway. It's the bits you cant see right? But it was as good as can be expected.

Having had a good root around with a torch and confident I could smooth it over with the wife a deal was struck and with the sweetener of a years test and tax it was mine.

I am no stranger to soul crushing evenings in the rain under a car, I prefer to do things a bit more preventative then that before it's at that stage! I sort of cut my teeth so to speak keeping my own cars going, I did a nut and bolt restoration of an XJ40 jaguar as I always wanted one as a kid. I'm rarely seen out of the shed after work and believe with the right amount of tech, tools and dare I say a bit of cash this could well be the start of a happy ownership!

Thanks, Jason

Post #23726046th Jul 2024 10:43 pm
laf

United Kingdom 

Looks really nice that. Enjoy the hell out of it when you pick it up.

Post #23726056th Jul 2024 10:52 pm
ronp

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

A very nice introduction to yourself and your first impending Land Rover experience.

Sounds like you’ve been a LR diehard in waiting. Laughing

Good luck on your new journey, enjoy it. Thumbs Up

Post #23726357th Jul 2024 10:39 am
Worms

Scotland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Good to see another Highland-bound Discovery! The dealer I bought from, down near Cambridge said "What's with you guys? You're my fourth sale to the Highlands in the last couple of months!" Smile

My experience is that there are lots of vehicles that are actually quite good for a Highland winter when it snows, but the Land Rover products I've had have been best for when it all thaws, or when the rains have been incessant.
 Previously:
2010 FL2 TD4e GS
‘93 Defender 110 200TDi CSW - still got this, non-runner on SORN.
‘87 Defender 90 4 cyl Petrol
‘83 110 CSW V8 - best ever!
Range Rover 2-door V8 (not sure of year - 4-speed box and vacuum diff switch)
Series III SWB Diesel 

Post #23726477th Jul 2024 11:50 am
rrhool

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

There is not a more practical car that's ever been made! It'll tow, take seven people, dogs, kids, wardrobes, beds, rubbish to the dump and still glide down the motorway like a Rolls Royce! Welcome, I think you'll be hooked!
 Richard

D3 SE 2007. Triumph 2.5Pi 1973. Ferguson TEA20 1948.

Discovery 2 4.0 ES 2001- Gone
Discovery 1 300Tdi ES '95 - Gone
Range Rover Classic '79 - Gone 

Post #23726637th Jul 2024 3:23 pm
DN
D3 Decade 

Ukraine 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

I can say, hand on heart, that there will be many opportunities that will require you to crawl about underneath it. Laughing Enjoy.
 D3 owned from new, P017 brake recall, BAS FBHIC, new FBH, LR013487 oil pump, new water pump. RRS front lower suspension arms. New suspension compressor/ relay. New Denso alternator. CuNifer rear brake pipes. New GKN rear propshaft. New HPFP belt & tensioner. New A/C Condenser.NO WARRANTY for many many years.  
Post #23726647th Jul 2024 4:06 pm
Icarus

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 GS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 4

Welcome Jason.
I'm a bit of a Land Rover nut, having owned a 1959 SeriesII for 24 years. I sold it last year, as I realised either I was too old for it, or it was too old for me.

I loved and cherished it, and did a "rolling restoration", which essentially meant making sure it was mechanically and structurally sound, but left the 65 year-old patina as was.

Now I have a 14-year old Discovery 4. I've owned lots of vehicles in my 60 year driving experience, but to my mind the Discovery 4 is the very best.

Yes it is complicated, Yes, it can develop many electrical faults, Yes, they can be expensive to own, but oh my word, when they are running well (and mine does, and hasn't demonstrated any faults at all in the year I've owned it) there is not another vehicle that comes close.

Good luck with your vehicle, travel well, and enjoy owning the best vehicle on the planet.
 I’m a Disco 4 believer. What a vehicle!  
Post #23726727th Jul 2024 5:47 pm
PROFSR G

Ukraine 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 Commercial XS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3
Re: New to forum and land rovers

CuppaT wrote:

I prefer to do things a bit more preventative. I'm rarely seen out of the shed after work and believe with the right amount of tech, tools and dare I say a bit of cash this could well be the start of a happy ownership!

Thanks, Jason

Welcome to the forum, and with your new D4 acquisition to the "Trumpology" equivalent of vehicle ownership. Laughing

These cars is all about maintenance, and in particular preventative maintenance, understand this and you are well on your way to happy D4 ownership. By preventative maintenance I specifically mean the replacement of useable parts, and service of vehicle systems that have done their job over many years. This approach is generally no big issue with your average eurobox choice of transport, but with this level of LR product it's a different ball game due to the cars complexity, and design of use.

Recently a customer who had upgraded to a D4 asked me to provide an overview of maintenance considerations for these vehicles. It's a bit long,(unsurprisingly Rolling Eyes ) but I'm happy to post it here or send you a PM if you prefer.

Enjoy the car. Thumbs Up
 yµ (idµ - eAµ) ψ=mψ

Post #23727388th Jul 2024 2:24 pm
markagj

United Kingdom 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

Post it here please. Thumbs Up
 Discovery 4 HSE SDV6
Land Rover series 3 2.5 Petrol

Post #23728139th Jul 2024 11:59 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
NJSS

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Waitomo GreyDiscovery 4

Please post it here Den.

Post #23728269th Jul 2024 2:12 pm
PROFSR G

I will, it was in an email so I just need to edit it a bit Rolling with laughter and then I'll leave it here. Thumbs Up
 yµ (idµ - eAµ) ψ=mψ

Post #23728279th Jul 2024 2:24 pm
CuppaT

Scotland 

Thank you all for the kind words. I was once quite an active member on the XJ40 forum before it was mothballed, and while I dont have the time I used to (2 kids as mentioned) I do miss the online "hive mind". I would certainly appreciate the guide you mentioned Prosfr g, I imagine it is not a 2 minute read!

A lot to be said for getting hands on with a new acquisition. I used to think half the battle of cars I owned was getting rid of the last few owners "fixes". But hopefully gone are the days of knocking fiberglass out of cills and nails out of fuse boxes!

I'll be comparing what is meant to have been done with what I can see has been done, and looking out for what is coming up. We must always remember a car was cherished, it then was sold for somthing else and perhaps in time to miss out on a big bill.

We had a bit of a cull last year and are down to two motors, so this will be the primary family car, dependability is key. Besides I dont want to hear how it was me that chose THAT thing!

Garage phoned today and had taken a bit longer to sort the rear tailgate paint and some other bits. Heres hoping for keys tomorrow.

Post #23728869th Jul 2024 11:41 pm
Moo
D3 Decade 

Ukraine 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Fingers crossed 🤞 These are great Beasties. Best cars ive ever owned. I'm currently enjoying driving my daughter's D3 whilst she's travelling on a gap year after her A levels. Thumbs Up Very Happy
 New Defender L663 110 SE (known as Noddy!)

Sold Volvo XC90 R-Design (known as Basil)

Sold - D4 HSE (Known as Gerty)

No longer the Old Buses original owner Sad
231,000 miles and counting
05 S manual owned from March 2005
D4 Face lifted
Still original injectors and turbo
V8 Front brakes
BAS Remap, Allisport Intercooler and deCat
EGRs blanked
T-Max split charge
Hanibal Expeedition rack
Prospeed ladder
Duratrac tyres
IID BT
BAS FBH control 

Post #237289110th Jul 2024 12:26 am
NJSS

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Waitomo GreyDiscovery 4

PROFSR G:-

Quote:
I will, I just need to edit it a bit and then I'll leave it here.

Looking forward to seeing it - It might be an idea to start a new thread?

Regards

Nigel

Post #237305112th Jul 2024 9:22 am
PROFSR G

I had a look at it Nigel and as I suspected it's long, very loooooong! Laughing

I'll try and tidy it up but I'm absolutely useless at concise composition. Rolling Eyes

This might take a while Yawn
 yµ (idµ - eAµ) ψ=mψ

Post #237307812th Jul 2024 3:20 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >