Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

Low Power Mode
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Mossy

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3
Low Power Mode

Driving into the office this morning, I turned up the volume on the radio. After about 3 or 4 mins the radio volume lowered. Thinking I'd caught the steering control, I turned it up and "Low Power Mode" appeared with the little battery icon.

Now I know this comes up to restrict battery drain when stationary with the engine off but I was moving, and the CD wasnt that bad (just before I get any comment Laughing ).

Any thoughts?

Question
 D3 HSE V8...  
Post #3037430th Nov 2005 12:16 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
blue meanie
D3 Decade 

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

Nossy, similar thing has happened to me on a couple of occasions, fixed by turning radio off and then back on again, decided to file it under 'undocumented features'! Smile
 and theeeeennn......???  
Post #3037630th Nov 2005 12:30 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
10forcash

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Are you doing a lot of short (i.e. less than 7 mile or so) journeys?
It could be a cumulative battery drain, on average it takes 7-10 miles for a Diesel vehicle to recharge it's battery to the level it was in prior to starting. Sitting in traffic with lights, heated screens, heater, seat heaters etc. will only drain the battery further. most vehicle alternators only charge effectively above 1500rpm, regardless of their rated output. Even with the engine running, it's possible (and likely) that the battery voltage will drop below the software's threshold for low battery mode, the alternator has a finite amount of output available (power) so using P=IV, the voltage will be seen to drop as the demand for current increases, this is further exacerbated by the input power required by accessories being constant therefore requiring more amps (I) as the voltage drops.

Although this may seem unlikely, it is a common occurrence for vehicle rescue companies to attend lots of vehicles with flat batteries that have been stuck in traffic jams on motorways etc. this is entirely due to wipers, lights, heaters etc. being left on with the engine idling for long periods.

Post #3037730th Nov 2005 12:33 pm
Mossy

Cheers. Thought perhaps the battery may not have been holding its charge.

Cranked Ok on start so dismissed. I'll file it like you say.

Laughing
 D3 HSE V8...  
Post #3037830th Nov 2005 12:34 pm
Mossy

I'll keep an eye on it. Journey to work is about 10 miles and have not done a long run since last week so it is possible.

I did have the lights on, the seat heaters, the front and rear screen, the wipers were going too and oh that CD!!! Shocked

I'll pack my jump starter in case.
 D3 HSE V8...  
Post #3038130th Nov 2005 12:42 pm
Mossy

Morning all... Did it again this morning [low power mode etc] and also noticed that the Sat Nav screen in getting progressively dimmer (ignoring the IQ department) whilst I was driving - no threshold problems - just fading away. Also, on start-up: put key in, get LR logo.. wait for bong... then turn key. Normally the screen blanks then comes up this the disclaimer requesting [agree?].

This morning, the screen went slightly mental. Lines across the logo like some form of interference except they didnt move, screen blanked then the disclaimer screen appeared really slowly being built up almost pixel-by-pixel.

Gave the car a good run last night - well over an hour, so figured battery should be fine. Checked connectors and they seem OK. Could this be an alterbator problem not fully topping up the battery? Any quick way of testing this, or any other suggestions, avoiding a dealer trip that will probably put me off the road for a day?
 D3 HSE V8...  
Post #305911st Dec 2005 10:58 am
10forcash

Voltage at battery should be 13.8 - 14.5 VDC with engine at 2500rpm, after 5 minutes running with no accessory load

Post #305921st Dec 2005 11:07 am
DiscoDuck

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Baltic BlueDiscovery 4

In the diagnostic (code 753) mode it gives system voltage!
 D4 HSE
Blue 

Post #305931st Dec 2005 11:14 am
Mossy

Just been out... car wont crank at all... jolly unsporting of it! Big Cry

Looks like it IS a battery / alternator problem then.

Rolling Eyes
 D3 HSE V8...  
Post #305941st Dec 2005 11:17 am
10forcash

Could also be engine / chassis earthing or a loose connection on the alternator or fuse box. If the screen was going spazzo with the engine running, it's likely to be a charging problem, not the battery itself

Post #305961st Dec 2005 11:23 am
nick2506

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3
Diagostic info without a Testbook ???

DiscoDuck wrote:
In the diagnostic (code 753) mode it gives system voltage!

Excuse my ignorance on this subject, it may have been discussed elsewhere. I am however very interested in this 'feature'. Please give us more info on a diagnostic mode accessable from the console.

Cheers,

Nick

Post #306041st Dec 2005 1:11 pm
Mossy

Sorted it think - appears there's a protective film on the battery terminals and this had not been removed. The connectors had just been screwed down onto this and this was making an "iffy" connection - in and out.

Jumped it, let it run for a wee while and all OK. Diagnostic mode [753] says 14.10 volts so fingers crossed. Cheers for the help. Saved me running home for the Mutli-meter.

I'll keep an eye on.
 D3 HSE V8...  
Post #306051st Dec 2005 1:23 pm
Mossy

Diagnostic mode:

From the main screen where you select navigation, 4x4 info. and Settings - press centre top of the touch screen for ~ 10 seconds.

Then press the hard navigation button on the dashboard for about 3 seconds.

Little box pops up and asks for a pin number. Enter 753 and the rest is intuitive.

Trial and error on the above. Think this is posted elsewhere on the site so sorry for repeating. Hope I got it right - it's easier sitting in the car going through it.
 D3 HSE V8...  
Post #306061st Dec 2005 1:28 pm
BN

England 

Mossy wrote:
Sorted it think - appears there's a protective film on the battery terminals and this had not been removed. The connectors had just been screwed down onto this and this was making an "iffy" connection - in and out.

Jumped it, let it run for a wee while and all OK. Diagnostic mode [753] says 14.10 volts so fingers crossed. Cheers for the help. Saved me running home for the Mutli-meter.

I'll keep an eye on.

Nice bit of PDI by your dealer then Mossy Rolling Eyes

Post #306181st Dec 2005 3:31 pm
Mossy

It does worry you a wee bit. Dont know if the batteries are connected already or by the dealer, and to be fair, it was not obvious as I did check the connectors myself before closer examination.

But still. Shocked

All working again and just as well - pouring down now and very stormy.
 D3 HSE V8...  
Post #306201st Dec 2005 3:38 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >