Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > General

Discovery 3, Vehicle Fault - System shutting down.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
K24_STE

United Kingdom 
Discovery 3, Vehicle Fault - System shutting down.

Morning All,

Hopefully this is in the correct section and are able to help.

I have been looking around this forum now for a few months trying to figure out what could be wrong with the better half's 3 and so far no such luck.

She purchased a 2009 Discovery 3 2.7 a few year ago and until January this year has been faultless and pulled us out of more trouble than you would believe (Rural Living), Then randomly We started getting an intermittent issue "Vehicle Fault - System shutting down" when the stereo & heater blower fans would switch off and the doors would lock/ unlock with the Hazard lights starting to flash and the interior light would come on, however the engine would keep on running as normal Just a tad embarrassing & annoying the amount of people trying to inform you the Hazards were on. Laughing Then randomly the next time you came to start the vehicle it would either start then 5 mins down the road do the same or wouldn't crank at all showing... HDC Fault System not available, Park brake fault Auto Release not functional.

Having done a few checks of the TCM?, ECU, the wires and plugs behind the passengers side rear wheel (UK RHD) and replacing the battery and checking a few cable runs (Pretty sure I have missed some things out there) the problem seemed to go away so I was beginning to think water may have got into a system or cable etc However a week or so ago after no rain it has come back however it seems to be a permanent issue now. Crying or Very sad

Now I have purchased a IID Tool and cleared the fault codes and the car will start up immediately however drive it 10 seconds down the road and the Vehicle fault - System shutting down message comes on with all the related symptoms again. now having got back home it won't fire up again unless the code are cleared and we go through the same hassle, Now scanned it again I have a list of faults...

AUDIO System:

U0010-87 - Medium speed CAN communication bus - Bus signal/message failure - missing a message (AB)

U0300-55 - Internal control module software incompatibility - System programming failure - is not configured (2B)

U2003-86 - Fibre optic communication bus - Bus signal/message failure - signal is invalid (28)

AUXILARY Heater:

U3000-55 - Control module - System programming failure - is not configured (2B)

BODY Control:

U0155-87 - LCD Gauge Communication Lost - Bus signal/message failure - missing a message (68)

U0300-55 - Internal control module software incompatibility - system programming failure - is not configured (68)

INSTRUMENT PACK:

U0159-87 - Lost communication with parking assist control module - Bus signal/message failure - missing a message (2A)

PARKING AID:

U0155-87 - LCD Gauge Communication Lost - Bus signal/message failure - missing a message (2B)

U0140-87 - Lost communication with body control module - Bus signal/message failure - missing a message (2B)

U0300-55 - Internal control module software incompatibility - System programming failure - is not configured (2B)

PARKING BRAKE:

C1A55-64 - Ignition switch input circuit - Algorithm based failure - signal plausibility failure (EB)

STEERING ANGLE:

U0122-87 - Lost communication with vehicle dynamics control module - Bus signal/message failure - missing a message (2B)

TRANSFER CASE:

U0155-87 - LCD Gauge Communication Lost - Bus signal/message failure - missing a message (2B)

TRANSMISSION:

VEHICLE DYNAMIC:

VENTILATION:

B1B78-84 - System pressure - Bus signal/message failure - signal is below allowable range (68)

U0300-55 - Internal control module software incompatibility - system programming failure - is not configured (2B)

Sorry for the very long winded message however I have tried to be as informative as I can be.

Surely with the same message appearing for alot of the systems it must all narrow down to 1 thing?

Thanks very much for taking the time to read and hopefully somebody will have a few suggestions that I can try?

Post #237007531st May 2024 9:37 am
Martin
Site Admin and Owner 

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

I think you have a medium-speed (MS) CAN bus fault.

This *could* be a dry joint internally in the instrument cluster.

Similar faults in this thread: https://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/topic191700.html

Have a read through Smile
 06 D3 SE / 15 LR D90 XS SW / 88 LR 90 Td5 / 68 BMW 2000 ti
Any issues with the site let me know! 

Post #237007931st May 2024 11:33 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Martin
Site Admin and Owner 

Hmm, possibly both CAN buses (High Speed/HS as well) as there are devices on the HS CAN also complaining about not seeing the cluster.

Post #237008031st May 2024 12:05 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
K24_STE

United Kingdom 

Martin wrote:
I think you have a medium-speed (MS) CAN bus fault.

This *could* be a dry joint internally in the instrument cluster.

Similar faults in this thread: https://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/topic191700.html

Have a read through Smile

Massively appreciate your reply thank you.

If there were a dry join on the instrument cluster would this cause issues with the cluster itself or just the systems around it? currently the cluster works as it should even when the other systems such as the head unit and heater blower fans stop working.

Having read through that thread we have none of the issues with the warning lights on the cluster as they have experienced with their's.

Another note the battery is charging at 14.1 volts could that cause of any of these issues?

Post #237011931st May 2024 6:25 pm
K24_STE

United Kingdom 

Martin wrote:
Hmm, possibly both CAN buses (High Speed/HS as well) as there are devices on the HS CAN also complaining about not seeing the cluster.

Sorry just seen that you had relied twice. Think it could still be related to the cluster even if that's working?

Thanks again.

Post #237012031st May 2024 6:27 pm
K24_STE

United Kingdom 

Just replaced the brake light bulbs this morning to narrow that out, and for the sake of the small cost. And still the issue remains. Think I will take the TCM Back out and have another detailed look at the circuit board for any increased corrosion? if not I really think this is going to cause a lot of headache.

Post #23701631st Jun 2024 12:33 pm
Martin
Site Admin and Owner 

I think you’re chasing the wrong bus.

Have you tried thumping the top of the cluster as in the thread I linked to?

Have you measured the resistance of the bus?

If the cluster appears to work during the “shutdown” (RPM, Road speed and temperature showing ok) this suggests the HS CAN to the cluster is ok.

Post #23701671st Jun 2024 12:55 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >