Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D4)

5w 30 or 5 w 40 in hot weather 2016 D4 26,000 miles
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
ratrunner

United Kingdom 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4
5w 30 or 5 w 40 in hot weather 2016 D4 26,000 miles

Towing a heavy caravan into Spain and was considering to change to 5w 40 just for the trip,what do you all think is 5w 40 ok can it do any harm ?

Post #236993229th May 2024 12:13 pm
disco chris

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

My personal view is that a good 5W 40 is the correct oil for these engines given all the stuff out there about oil dilution, premature bearing wear, advice for the same engines in the PSA vehicles being to use 5W 40 or 10W 40 in arduous usage or hot weather etc and also being completely believable that LR only recommended 5W 30 because it helped them meet efficiency targets in the heavier LR applications and they knew that the majority of vehicles wouldn't fail before they were out of the warranty period.

I changed to 5W 40 in my 250k mile 2005 D3 and it has run noticeably quieter and smoother since then compared to the 5W 30. If I had a nice low mileage D4 I would personally use 5W 40 all the time. Unlikely to get much financial help from LR in the event of an engine failure given that the latest D4s are now approaching 10 years old.

However the counter argument is obviously that you should just stick to the oil that LR specify which is 5W 30 of a specific variety. Which is also valid just not a school of thought that I follow.

Post #236993429th May 2024 1:15 pm
disco chris

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

I also did an oil analysis with Miller's oils on the D3 after about 3,500 miles on 5W 30 around the 250k mark and the analysis showed very little signs of wear. So maybe 5W 30 is fine unless you are suffering from oil dilution, excessive soot build up in the oil, or use your Disco in an 'arduous manner' (mine gets a lot of relatively gentle motorway miles).

However when I sent the oil in to Miller's for analysis, I did write a question on the piece of paper asking if a change to 5W 40 would be beneficial, and the tech replied that it certainly wouldn't do any harm which put my mind at ease as these guys will know what they're talking about and have no allegiance to LR specs or dogma.

Post #236993629th May 2024 1:20 pm
Icarus

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 GS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 4

It's my understanding (and I'm happy to be corrected here), that JLR themselves recommend 5W-40 in the TDV/TDV6, but only if the vehicle will be, or is being, used in "arduous conditions".

I've never found out quite what they mean by "arduous conditions", but it may be worth finding out if you're concerned.

Personally, I would regard towing a sizeable tin tent in a hot country, over at least undulating terrain to be pretty arduous. But as I've never done it, and I'm most unlikely to, my opinion may be worthless.

Maybe an email to JLR Technical Department for advice? If such a place exists..... Rolling Eyes
 I’m a Disco 4 believer. What a vehicle!  
Post #236993829th May 2024 1:31 pm
HairyFool

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto ZanzibarDiscovery 4

There are other installation of the same engine that use 5W40 so on that basis there should be no problem using this grade of oil in this engine.

Land Rover give specific advice for arduous conditions and high speed driving but they are not defined in the handbook. More frequent oil changes might be a better option but that would be more expensive.

If there is a warranty of any sort then you are tied to using manufacturers specification oils. If the wrong oils are found then it would give a get-out for any claim

The oil system itself should be overrated to cope with heavier demands. I would be just as happy with new oil/oil filter of the original spec.
 A visitor from the dark side, my other vehicle is an MG5 EV  
Post #236994029th May 2024 1:49 pm
Gary_P

Ukraine 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

Definition of Arduous driving conditions from Land Rover.

ARDUOUS DRIVING CONDITIONS

When a vehicle is operated in extremely arduous conditions, more frequent attention must be paid to servicing requirements.

Arduous driving conditions include:

Driving in dusty and/or sandy conditions.

Driving on rough and/or muddy roads and/or wading.

Driving in extremely hot conditions.

Towing a trailer or driving in mountainous conditions.

Contact a Land Rover Retailer/Authorized Repairer for advice.
 Gary
-------------------------------------------

Discovery 4 HSE 2016MY 

Post #236994829th May 2024 4:06 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >