Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > General

Tart up winch bumper - Raptor or something else ?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Bird_2112

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 Commercial Manual Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3
Tart up winch bumper - Raptor or something else ?

Hi folks, my bumper is looking a bit tatty and want to tidy it up. I thought of using Raptor and after watching a couple of videos think roller would be easier than the rattle can. I see there is the "one pack" 1k Raptor (about £16) plus the "2 pack" 2k rattle can Raptor which costs around £26 so more expensive. Anyone compared the two ? Any other suggestions for something hardwiring rather than just Hammerite ?

Thanks,

Gareth
Click image to enlarge

Post #236920020th May 2024 1:26 pm
PROFSR G

Ukraine 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 Commercial XS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

This will do it eminently and can be top coated with whatever paint you want. It's not your usual rust/protective coating and dries to a very hard red oxide finish. https://www.owatrol.ie/product/cip-corrosive-inhibiting-primer/

Application is best in my opinion through a spray gun, but a non sponge roller will deliver good results too. Whilst a brush can also be used it's not the easiest to obtain coverage with, but when dry and after the second coat it will look perfect and without brush marks.

The down side of this is that it takes a very long time to dry and will still be wet after 12 hrs! So you need to leave it for 24hrs before a second coat is applied, and at least another 24 hrs before applying the top coat, even in this warmer weather!! Allow to dry indoors in case the wind gets up and dust spoils the finish overnight.

My recommendation would be 24hrs between 1st & 2nd coats and then 72hrs for it to totally harden before top coat.

This is marine grade protection and is the best I have come across in well over 40 years of trials. Thumbs Up
 yµ (idµ - eAµ) ψ=mψ

Post #236920520th May 2024 2:23 pm
Bird_2112

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 Commercial Manual Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Profsr G.. thanks for the reply and that sounds good. My limitations are it will have to be done outside preferably on the vehicle. If taken off then it will have to be done in a friends garage.
Gareth

Post #236921020th May 2024 3:25 pm
PROFSR G

Ukraine 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 Commercial XS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Pick your day/s so, but if you can spray take the bumper off and the end result will be much better. Also, you can get the rear side done as well!!

Use low pressure and a "straight" pattern as opposed to "fan" from the gun. It's very thin and this will lay it on thicker but you need to keep the gun moving.

Or, just roll it but don't use a sponge roller as this will tend to leave air bubbles which might not all
dissipate.Thumbs Up
 yµ (idµ - eAµ) ψ=mψ

Post #236921220th May 2024 3:50 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >