Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D4)

Body off - what opportunistic preventative maintenance?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
twr7cx

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 TDV6 Base 5 Seat Auto Nara BronzeDiscovery 4
Body off - what opportunistic preventative maintenance?

Surprisingly I haven't managed to find a thread with a list of what opportunistic preventive maintenance should be done when the body of the vehicle is off. Have I missed it somewhere?

In a month our MY12 D4 TDV6 with 200,000km is having the body lifted to repair failed vacuum pump damage. I'd rather avoid the body being lifted any more than necessary so am interested in any recommended preventative maintenance to consider at the time.
 Mine - MY09 L319 D3 HSE Lion 2.7 TDV6 and modified MY03 LT L318 Discovery 2a HSE Td5 15P
Hers - MY12 L319 D4 Lion 2.7L TDV6
Dads - MY12 L319 D4 Lion 2.7L TDV6 

Post #23444426th Aug 2023 1:34 am
Captain Crosscheck

Ukraine 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Lots of things to do.
Rear brake lines
Rear AC lines, if installed
Rear belt
Crossover pipe, maybe not old enough to worry about, but keep eyes open
Rear upper suspension arms are IIRC a real pig if the body is on

Lots of other things as well. NJSS posted a good list here a few months ago.

Post #23444756th Aug 2023 2:57 pm
PROFSR G

Ukraine 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 Commercial XS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

I assume body or chassis corrosion issues are less likely given your location, but there remain plenty of mechanical opportunities. Your car still has relatively low mileage but it is over 10 years old, and preventative maintenance at any available opportunity is wise with these vehicles. The following may seem over the top but it's intention is to get you thinking now, and not necessarily a reflection of what you should be replacing. Although, for anyone reading this with a higher mileage car then most of this I would consider relevant along with corrosion prevention measures.

Firstly, there are two things you need to ask yourself here. 1. Do I intend to keep this vehicle long term? and 2. Do I have the funds to put decent money into it now? If the answer to both is yes then read on.

On the engine you have plenty of easy access especially to the top end, and if you intend to keep it long term you might want to consider replacing the cam chains and tensioners along with the oil pump and belts. This is easy to do now and will be much more difficult with the body on. Same applies to the intake manifolds which are often prone to cracks.

How's the rear exh crossover pipe? You'll get a clear view once the body is off, but what I would advise is that you at least replace all the accessible exhaust nuts that by now will have corroded somewhat. In this way you will avoid any serious problems if you have to revisit the exhaust system once the body is back on. You'll have better access to the turbos and so if still original is there something worth considering here? How's the auto transmission? If you do not have a garage lift the torque converter is easy now the body is off.

Access to all the suspension arms, struts, air suspension system, wiring, fuel tank and lines, brake lines and flexi pipes, spare wheel carrier, prop shaft, etc are all at your finger tips. Pay attention to the brake lines, and you might as well pop off the fuel tank and at least clean (or replace) the low pressure fuel pump.

Personally, I'm a big believer in preventative maintenance and especially with these beasts. It won't guarantee reliability, but it will mitigate very heavily against any nasty surprises. If it were me, and the car is to be a keeper I'd be seriously considering the top end refurb along with a new oil pump and belts.

The oil pumps begin to start loosing some of their performance from around 160 kms
 yµ (idµ - eAµ) ψ=mψ

Post #23444776th Aug 2023 3:19 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >