Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > General

Does anyone do oil analysis on their V6 diesel engine?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
NC500

Scotland 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Firenze RedDiscovery 4

Gary_P wrote:
Thanks for sharing. Interested in your graphs and how varying amounts of minerals are found in the oil. Are these cumulative results from many points of analysis (in other words, is your x axis ‘time’ and if so over what period (months, years etc).
Cheers

The X axis data is not time bound. Each sample of oil is taken when it passes a personally set minimum mileage that I have arrived at based upon soot and fuel buildup levels arising from my driving type and style. Each data point is one of the oil samples and to see the mileage that each data point represents, you should refer to the table.

I have learned over the years that oil analysis is the best way to determine the health of my engine and this dictates service intervals. The car continues to receive its "B" service in accordance with Land Rover's recommendations, but I handle all "A" services and undertake them with reference to the trend lines on the charts. I cannot control the wear metals and other substrates in the oil but minimising fuel dilution keeps the oil viscosity in range and minimising soot reduces the abrasive paste buildup. Keeping both of these aspects of oil health in a 'green' zone will minimise the wear of the components in the engine.

If the OP's data were my own, I would recognise that the remap was introducing more fuel to the combustion chamber and thus creating higher levels of soot (an abrasive paste in the oil), so reduced interval oil changes would therefore be necessary. An Italian tune up may well make the situation worse, not better.

The morale of this lecture (sorry) is that without having several data points to see the trends, a solitary oil sample is really not that helpful....

BTW - I have asked LR Time to undertake oil analysis on their various engines, as I think this would be a useful subject for their channel. However, to date, they have not taken up the idea. Crying or Very sad

Post #237531517th Aug 2024 10:10 am
NC500

Scotland 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Firenze RedDiscovery 4

Click image to enlarge

This chart shows the trend in soot buildup over a period of about 60,000 miles. I concluded that it may well be deteriorating spray patterns of the injectors so several additions of injector cleaner in the fuel tank were tried before replacing the injectors and the trend reverted to a flat line. Problem solved.

Post #237531617th Aug 2024 10:26 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >