Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Australia & New Zealand

Long range tanks for MY07 and earlier does not fit MY08!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
eran48

Australia 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3
Long range tanks for MY07 and earlier does not fit MY08!

G'day everybody,

My MY08 Tdv6 SE (Nov07 build) is currently with Graeme Coopers to have a cargo barrier, rear wheel carrier and long range tank fitted (Long Range Automotive in Melbourne).

Got a call from Graeme this afternoon who said that the tank does not fit my MY08 model. They happen to have an MY07 in the workshop and did a comparison of the spare wheel wells and he said that both were definitely NOT the same.

LRA was not aware of this until Graeme called them this afternoon. I suspect Long Ranger (in Newcastle) is probably in the same boat here.

The long range tank will not go in without some major surgery to the D3 - I said I prefer to wait until LRA or Long Ranger comes out with a new tank suitable for the MY08 model rather than take a blowtorch to my new baby Shocked Shocked

It looks like the MY08 has more than just some wiring and software changes. Land Rover has done some minor structural changes as well. Aparently, the MY07 and earlier models have rubber 'bump stops' at the top of the wheel well. The MY08 does not. The sheet metal forming the top of the wheel well (as well as forming the floor from inside the car) is different in the MY08 model and the difference is significant enough to stop the long range tank from fitting in.

I wonder what other changes LR has done to the MY08 model? I hope these changes are to improve the vehicle and not a cost cutting exercise Evil or Very Mad

Cheers.

Post #26221521st Feb 2008 11:39 am
redsails

Australia 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Looks like Long Ranger have recently updated their website. Their TA62 auxiliary tank is now listed as fitting "Series III Models 2005 To 2007".

http://www.thelongranger.com.au/discovery3longrangefueltank.html

I was just about to place an order for my MY08, got a call into them to find out the story, and if/when they'll have an MY08 version.
 Jeff

08MY TDV6 SE Zermatt Silver, ARB front bar w/ IPF spots, Kaymar rear bar & wheel carrier, LR running boards, Rhino cross-bars, Mitchel Bros hitch, Prodigy brake controller, Long Ranger 104lit aux tank, Safari snorkel, Traxide SC80-12 dual battery kit w/ Optima Yellow Top D34, ARB air compressor, 4x4 Intelligence cargo barrier, OL drawers, GME TX3440 UHF, Inmarsat phone, 18” Cooper H/T Plus 265/60R18 on factory alloys for work, 17” Cooper S/T LT245/70R17 on Dynamic 17x8 steels for fun 

Post #26229821st Feb 2008 3:38 pm
eran48

Thanks for the info redsails.

Apparently LRA is all ready to design a new tank for the MY08 Disco 3 but need to get their hands on one in order to measure it up.

Anybody in Melbourne with an MY08 D3 willing to be a mule and maybe get a discounted long range tank from Long Range Automotive? Thumbs Up

I would be happy to do it but I'm in Sydney Wink

Cheers.

Post #26275222nd Feb 2008 8:20 am
simonsi

New Zealand 
Re: Long range tanks for MY07 and earlier does not fit MY08!

eran48 wrote:
I hope these changes are to improve the vehicle and not a cost cutting exercise

Putting the same metal volume in differently will have involved significant design and production re-tooling costs so LR won't have done it lightly or probably saved any cost - except possibly by doing away with the rubber components you mentioned.
 Cheers

Simon 

Post #26280122nd Feb 2008 11:06 am
eran48

You are probably right, Simonsi.

Though I can't figure why they bothered - the wheel is still as cumbersome to get in and out. Laughing

Maybe it is to iron out some obscure problem - has anybody had any third row passengers fall through the wheel well lately? Very Happy

On the other hand, it is good to know that LR is actively working on improving the car - this can only be good news.

Cheers

Post #26282222nd Feb 2008 12:01 pm
allanj

Australia 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 GS Auto Chawton WhiteDiscovery 3

Seams unusal to be doing structual/chassis changes not long into the model life.

ANy other changes that you no of to the vehicle.

Al

Post #26328423rd Feb 2008 11:03 am
redsails

Too many “LR’s” in this story, so best to be clear who we’re talking about:
Land Rover aka LR – the stealers
Long Range Australia (Melbourne) aka LRA
Long Ranger (Newcastle) aka Out Of Town 4WD

Spoke with Ric at Long Ranger (OOT4WD). He says it looks like LR have made some changes which affect fitting their existing Disco3 auxiliary tank to MY08 builds. LRA look like they're having a similar problem.

According to Ric, it appears LR have changed a few things, like trailing arms, gearbox crossmember, as well as the crossmember that holds up the spare wheel. There is also a bit more gear under there now, looks like there’s more plumbing and some sort of cylinder/reservoir. It’s the new shape of the spare wheel xmember plus the other bits Ric says has caused the problem with fitting the existing tank. He’s not sure when these changes occured (the stealers are apparently not much help), but he thinks it started with MY08.

So, Ric’s going to borrow my baby to measure up for the new tank design. She’s booked in for a little holiday to Newcastle, hope to have it all done in time for Easter.
 Jeff

08MY TDV6 SE Zermatt Silver, ARB front bar w/ IPF spots, Kaymar rear bar & wheel carrier, LR running boards, Rhino cross-bars, Mitchel Bros hitch, Prodigy brake controller, Long Ranger 104lit aux tank, Safari snorkel, Traxide SC80-12 dual battery kit w/ Optima Yellow Top D34, ARB air compressor, 4x4 Intelligence cargo barrier, OL drawers, GME TX3440 UHF, Inmarsat phone, 18” Cooper H/T Plus 265/60R18 on factory alloys for work, 17” Cooper S/T LT245/70R17 on Dynamic 17x8 steels for fun 

Post #26393725th Feb 2008 5:06 am
eran48

Attaboy redsails Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

I was considering calling Long Ranger in Newcastle to offer up my vehicle for measurement but am presently stuck with work and family commitments.

Please keep us informed on how it goes and when the new MY08 tanks will be available.

A bit of background info on the tank (ie how its made, what the fuel pump's like, etc) will also be very nice.

Its nice to know that they can come out with a new tank design so quickly. Will you have to go to them twice (once for measurements and again for fitting)?

It looks like Land Rover has done more than just 'minor' structural changes for MY08. As stated earlier, these changes were not evident in the MY07 model.

Cheers.

Post #26393825th Feb 2008 5:26 am
Timj

Australia 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

Hi All,

When did they start making the MY08? Mine is new (as in purchased and first registered just over a week ago) and was manufactured in September last year. I took the spare out and had a look and mine has four round rubber stoppers that the tyre winches up against. Does this mean that mine is really an MY07 though it was sold to me as an MY08? Does this also mean that I can fit the existing tank rather than having to wait for them to make a new shape?

Tim.
 Buckingham Blue TDV6  
Post #2668012nd Mar 2008 2:46 pm
catweasel

check your vin number
http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/post112913.html#112913

Post #2668172nd Mar 2008 4:31 pm
Timj

Ok, checked the VIN and according to that it is MY08 but it definitely has the rubber stops above the tyre. So if they have changed things it may not be a change that was done exactly at the time of the year model change. I might get back onto ARB and see if they will try to fit the long range tank for me.
 Buckingham Blue TDV6  
Post #2670173rd Mar 2008 4:03 am
eran48

Hello Timj,

My MY08 was a late Nov07 build. The changes were probably made between Sep and Nov then.

Had a talk with the tank designer at Long Ranger (Newcastle). He said that the new MY08 tanks should be ready early March - that's in the next couple of weeks! I'll be right right on the heels of redsails in getting the tank installed Thumbs Up

Just out of curiosity, why such a long lag time for delivery of your vehicle - built Sep07 and delivered Mar08. Almost 7 months. Was it from a dealer's existing stock?

Cheers

Post #2670773rd Mar 2008 11:03 am
Timj

Hi Eran48,

Yes it was a dealer stock vehicle. It was delivered to me on the 21st of Feb so if it was was a late Sep build it is about 4.5 to 5 months. I was told that it could take up to 4 months to get one if I wanted something that wasn't in stock but in fact about the only thing I would want extra over the HSE spec would be the e diff so I am very happy.

I am looking forward to doing some touring in it as it is so much more comfortable than the Pajero I had before. That is why I am interested in the long range tank but I am not sure if I can get it in before Easter. At the least I will have the ARB bullbar, the Rhino roof rack and a Safari snorkel. If possible it will also have the long range tank and a Kaymar rear bar. Probably after they have worn a little I will replace the standard tyres with something a little better. Not sure what tyre yet but I have been looking at all the threads about them with a lot of interest. It would be good to get something with a slightly higher sidewall since we do at least one trip a year to Fraser and from all reports the standard ones need to be pretty low pressure to get a decent footprint. I honestly can't think (so far) of anything else I will need to do some long trips as well as some of the tracks and beaches around Brisbane.

Tim.
 Buckingham Blue TDV6  
Post #2671663rd Mar 2008 2:06 pm
redsails

Quote:
I took the spare out and had a look and mine has four round rubber stoppers that the tyre winches up against. Does this mean that mine is really an MY07 though it was sold to me as an MY08?

Hi Timj,

I’ll show you mine if you’ll show me yours… Shocked

Mine is an MY08 Nov 07 build, VIN serial 465670. Her private parts look like this:

Click image to enlarge

The photo is looking towards the front of the car, so the rear is at the top. No round rubber stoppers to be seen. You can see the cylinder/reservoir on the front LHS of the spare wheel well. Ric at Long Ranger (OOT4WD) has confirmed this is the new layout requiring the aux tank redesign. If yours looks like this then you’ll need the new tank, otherwise the “old style” will fit. More pics in my gallery.

Few delays in getting a slot (don't you just wish the first Sunday after the Paschal Full Moon would stop moving around and just stay in one place for a change...) so I’m now booked in at Long Ranger for the end of March for a measure and fit of the new tank. My baby will be there for three or four days to do the job in one go.

Cheers
 Jeff

Post #2680725th Mar 2008 3:03 am
redsails

Picked up the car last weekend. The new tank design (TA62A) comes in at 104 litres. This is a little down on the capacity of the earlier tank (TA62) at 115 litres, due to the changes in the MY08 spare wheel well. This gives a total fuel capacity of 186 litres. Just need to save up some money now so I can go fill 'er up.
 Jeff

Post #2842299th Apr 2008 4:24 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >