Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Australia & New Zealand

Long range tanks for MY07 and earlier does not fit MY08!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
PCH

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Her private parts are just so nice and clean Rolling with laughter
 2011 Discovery 4 (MY12) SDV6 HSE with General Grabber AT's, Traxide Aux Battery system, custom rear drawers and Autosafe half height cargo barrier

Gone - 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE
ARB Bull Bar, Warn 9.5XP Winch, IPF D/Lights, Cooper STT's, LR Raised Air Intake, Traxide aux battery system, custom drawers and half height Autosafe cargo barrier, Mitchell Bros 4x4 tow hitch 

Post #28473210th Apr 2008 1:06 am
eran48

Australia 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Hi Jeff,

Pictures, mate, pictures! Show us some pictures! Very Happy

How's the quality of the installation?
Where did they put the fuel pump switch?
How exposed/vulnerable is the underside of the tank? Any impact (pun intended) on the departure angle?
What's the dual filler arrangement like? Can you choose which tank to fill?
Can you easily get to the fuel filter fitted between the two tanks?
Any effect on handlling?
Can you hear the pump when its running?
If the aux tank is not full, can you hear fuel sloshing about it there?

Cheers

Post #28473510th Apr 2008 1:40 am
redsails

Australia 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Yes PCH, she’s a lovely clean girl at the moment, can’t wait to get her out of her prom dress and get down and dirty 8)

How's the quality of the installation?
The OOT4WD guys have an impressive metal fabrication factory setup alongside the shop outlet, do all sorts of custom body work for campervans and tradies’ trucks, as well as tank design and manufacture. They did a really nice job on the tank build and installation. Will take lots of pictures as soon as I get back from our school hols run. For those of you who can’t wait (is that eran48 bouncing up and down in the background?), have a look at:
http://www.thelongranger.com.au/discovery3longrangefueltank.html
and click on MORE PICS down the bottom. They’re pics of the old aux tank setup, but will give you an idea.

Where did they put the fuel pump switch?
It’s mounted on the dash above the lights rotary switch, next to the air vent horizontal dial thingy.

How exposed/vulnerable is the underside of the tank? Any impact (pun intended) on the departure angle?
The tank actually has a better departure angle than the spare wheel. Have a look at the cad drawing on the link above.

What's the dual filler arrangement like? Can you choose which tank to fill?
The new filler neck splits off into two filler pipes. So you stick the pump nossle in the front pipe for the 82 litre standard tank, and the rear pipe for the 104 litre aux tank. Will post a pic.

Can you easily get to the fuel filter fitted between the two tanks?
Not so easy. The fuel filter and transfer pump are mounted on the front facing wall of the tank. So they sit up high out of harm’s way in the gap between the tank and the rear diff. Enough room to get a pair of hands in there to have a fiddle. You’d probably have to put the car up on a hoist, or maybe extended mode, to get to them. OOT4WD recommend changing the filter as part of your normal servicing. You’d have to drop the tank if you ever have a problem with the air suspension and need to get to the cylinder/reservoir thingy in the top of the spare wheel well (see pic earlier in this thread).

Any effect on handlling?
Dunno, haven’t filled her up yet. The tank is a bit under 40kg, and 104 litres of diesel is about 88kg. So stick the 128kg mother-in-law in the back and go for a spin! (If you haven’t got one, I’ll lend you mine Rolling Eyes ).

Can you hear the pump when its running?
There’s supposed to be an audible clicking noise when the transfer pump is transfering fuel. The pump makes a hell of a racket though when running with an empty tank. You certainly don’t need the aux fuel gauge to tell you the tank is empty!

If the aux tank is not full, can you hear fuel sloshing about it there?
Stay tuned, I let you know (may not be able to hear it over the MIL though Wink )
 Jeff

08MY TDV6 SE Zermatt Silver, ARB front bar w/ IPF spots, Kaymar rear bar & wheel carrier, LR running boards, Rhino cross-bars, Mitchel Bros hitch, Prodigy brake controller, Long Ranger 104lit aux tank, Safari snorkel, Traxide SC80-12 dual battery kit w/ Optima Yellow Top D34, ARB air compressor, 4x4 Intelligence cargo barrier, OL drawers, GME TX3440 UHF, Inmarsat phone, 18” Cooper H/T Plus 265/60R18 on factory alloys for work, 17” Cooper S/T LT245/70R17 on Dynamic 17x8 steels for fun 

Post #28475110th Apr 2008 7:08 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >