Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

Quick help needed for Autel AP200
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Stryderb

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3
Quick help needed for Autel AP200

Hi all, new to the forum but owned my D3 for over a year now and absolutely love it, however been having some issues with my steering angle sensor after an alignment.

I know it needs calibrating as I get the HDC suspension lowering fault after about 20mins of driving, viewing the SAS live data I can see the reading is out by about 15degrees.

My problem is I've just bought an Autel AP200, connects to the car fine but when I press the hot key for Steering angle sensor calibration nothing happens. It highlights, very briefly says "connecting to vehicle" but literally nothing else.

Can anyone tell me what should happen after you press the SAS calibration hot key? I'm assuming a number of instructions should follow. I've raised a ticket with Autel but there's been no reply.

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you![/u]

Post #23326587th Apr 2023 11:16 am
Shealesy

Scotland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Manual Java BlackDiscovery 3

I can’t help, but you’re not the first to struggle with them. My AP200 wouldn’t do most of the service/calibration etc items listed in the menu. Great for reading and clearing codes, even managed to calibrate the suspension once but of everything else I tried to do with it, that was all it could manage. Whether the flaw is in the app or tool, I don’t know. I ended up buy a GAP IID. Worth every penny.
 D3 HSE - MY05 - Java black
Vauxhall Insignia Country Tourer
GAP IIDBT G3
2x Colliewobbles and a Kelpie 

Post #23326687th Apr 2023 2:00 pm
john watson

Scotland 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

I have the “white version” so this is where we start from. I have had the same problem but at the last try it calibrated the steering angle sensor.

Would recommend the following.

Make certain the battery is fully charged.
The tyre pressures are as recommended.
Get a level bit of ground to do the te calibration on.

Log out of the system

Log back in again.

Run the test for error codes and save. If you get something like a speed sensor fault replace it!

If not clear the codes.

Run the hot function then if it calibrates go back and check that no error code re appears.

No guarantee that this will work but it did for me.
 Once you have defeated the idiots any job is half done. Pity there are so many idiots to defeat.  
Post #23326737th Apr 2023 3:47 pm
Stryderb

Thank you so much for this John, I will try as you instructed tomorrow when it's light. Do you happen to know if after pressing the calibrate button it gives you any other text boxes? Or does it simply illuminate and that's it done? Many thanks again

Post #23327107th Apr 2023 10:50 pm
john watson

Yes there are text boxes which take you through the procedure. E.g. wheels is straight ahead position and various position to set the ignition key to. It’s pretty straight forward . When you’ve finished just check that you have no error codes showing up. I think my main problem was that the car only did short journeys and the battery voltage goes down rather quickly in these circumstances. Good luck
 Once you have defeated the idiots any job is half done. Pity there are so many idiots to defeat.  
Post #23327348th Apr 2023 8:25 am
Stryderb

Thanks for the replies everyone. Unfortunately I have spent several hours on this today trying every possible combination and none of the hot functions on my device will work. All live data is there and the ability to read and erase codes. The only DTC I have is for a single rear parking sensor which I already knew was bad. Still no response from Autel on my ticket either. Thoroughly disappointed with it.

Post #23327898th Apr 2023 7:59 pm
john watson

For the avoidance of doubt.

My unit is coloured white which I believe Autel UK are claiming is a grey import. Didn’t stop them from selling it to me though. There is a red unit. Which one do you have?

I run the software on my iPad. There is a central file of 888mb which is shared by two Apps. One labelled
diag-europe the other Maxi AP 200. One I use to read the codes the other to use the hot functions.

Is your unit set up the same way.

What I have noticed when I re loaded the main file onto my new iPad it went from over 2 gig down to 888 mb. So something got erased.

I think most people using this unit have experienced the problems you have i know I have.

One thing I have noticed although it communicates via blue tooth if im out of the range of my Wi-Fi it doesn’t work. When I recalibrated the steering angle sensor a few weeks ago it was done in my drive way.
This was after trying to get it to work in Tesco's car park immediately before.

Don’t know if this sheds any light on your particular situation but I just kept at it and eventually it worked.
Post #23328149th Apr 2023 8:47 am
Stryderb

Thanks for you input, John. I'll try my best to answer the above in case it helps someone else out in the future. Mine too is the White version, the same as the others I have seen that can do the hot functions.

Mine also has Diag Europe app installed alongside the Autel app, I am using an Android phone. I am unable to say exactly how much space the individual apps take up, but the Autel has both the standard EOBD and Land Rover specific files installed. The Autel A200 is also on the latest firmware which I believe is 2.03.

I have tried every single hot function available on Service menu and sadly none of them work, they all do the same thing i.e. the hot function illuminates, very briefly says 'connecting' then goes no further.

I know the device, software and EOBD port is working as I can view all of the cars modules and live data, all of which work fine and shows me exact steering angle which is approx 15degrees off centre. I have no fault codes with the exception of rear right parking sensor faulty, I have cleared this fault and it will not come back until I select reverse, so this would seemingly be unrelated. My SAS is also affixed properly to my steering column so no issues there.

I have tried to use the hot functions both within range of my wireless router, and away from it with strong 5g signal and neither has any effect.

The only thing I can possibly think of is that the hot functions have been removed from the most recent firmware update. When I first connected the Autel it wanted to update the firmware which I did, so unfortunately I have no reference of if the previous firmware may have actually worked. Sadly the current firmware of 2.03 doesn't seem to have any of these functions, or maybe it's a bug. Do you happen to know which firmware version yours is set to?

I have raised a support ticket for this issue a week ago and unfortunately have heard nothing back from Autel, which is both frustrating and very disappointing.

Post #23328299th Apr 2023 11:28 am
john watson

Fired up the unit. Had to log in.

In settings, about . version is give as follows

V1.45 (1.44.01)

Only reference I can find.

As an aside I had to contact Autel. The service centre I think was in Holland. Actually pretty hopeless had to go back and figure out how to fix the problem. Managed but did take some head scratching.
Post #23328339th Apr 2023 12:04 pm
Stryderb

Thanks for that John, I'd say that confirms it. All special functions gone from the new ones or ones updated to the latest firmware. Very disappointed with Autel. Off I go to buy an iCarsoft to calibrate my steering angle sensor.

Post #23328359th Apr 2023 12:36 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >