Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Africa

Terrain response setting on dirt
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
nickm

South Africa 2005 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 SE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3
Terrain response setting on dirt

What terrain response setting do you guys use for normal SA dirt roads? I've typically been leaving the vehicle on 'normal'. My rationale has been to avoid stress through the drive train from the locked diffs in 'grass gravel snow'. However I've since read that braking performance would improve on the special settings.

Thoughts appreciated.

Nick

Post #28802817th Apr 2008 3:52 pm
Hobgoblin

Location: As always, in the sh*t, it's only the depth that varies

Spain 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Kaikoura StoneDiscovery 4

My understanding is the diffs are fully electronic and only lock when needed, threfore should not put any extra strain on the drivetrain.
 I'm not as good as I once was........but I'm as good once as I ever was.  
Post #28803217th Apr 2008 4:02 pm
nickm

OK, that's interesting, I had understood the diffs to be permanently locked in the 'Grass/Gravel/Snow' setting.

Post #28804217th Apr 2008 4:34 pm
caverD3

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

IFAIK none of the diffs lock completey it is variable rather than on/off.
I use TR when the road becomes bumpy otherwise, off.
Interesting thought about brakes though, may be callibrated differently for gravel setting.
 â€œThere are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games”
Ernest Hemmingway
D4 3.0 Active Diff, Adaptive Lights, High Beam Assist, Surround Cameras, Privacy Glass.
D3 2.7:Adaptive Headlights,Electronic Rear Diff,ARB Bar,Blaupunkt Speakers,JVC Powered Subwoofer,Removable Snorkel,Mitch Hitch,Pioneer After Market Head Unit,Steering Wheel Control Adaptor,Remote Adjustable Supension Rod System, Taxside Dual Battery System. 

Post #28804517th Apr 2008 4:43 pm
nickm

My understanding is that the ABS is optimised for different surfaces. For instance, on tar the system releases the brake just before locking is sensed whereas in sand the wheel is actually allowed to lock for a period since the effect of sand forming a ridge in front of the wheel actually reduces stopping distance.

Post #28805217th Apr 2008 4:50 pm
robharvey

South Africa 2012 Discovery 4 5.0 V8 SE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

I tend to go the "Grass/Gravel/Snow" route. In my experience although throttle response is diminished, the DSC cuts in earlier preventing the back coming out on tighter corners. I tested the system about a year ago, on very worn GY Wranglers, and was amazed at how the elctronics "pulled" me round the corner, when by rights the back should have overtaken me.

I may be wrong but the diffs shouldn't lock on a normal gravel road, and if they do it will be temporary as they are limited slip diffs and not permanent (he says in tech-speak) Laughing

Post #28814117th Apr 2008 7:06 pm
nickm

Interesting point about DSC. Frankly I have never quite got my head around what DSC does as opposed to traction control. Confused

Post #28833818th Apr 2008 5:07 am
WayneD

Location: Sydney Darwin ,Singapore, USA, UK and now country NSW

Australia 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

During a trip last year the wife was driving of the tar doing about 100KPH and went off the shoulder. The DSC kicked in and slowed the vehicle down very quickly while using alternative brakes. A scary situation but the vehicle took control completely and stopped what could have been a roll over situation. The vehicle was loaded for a month in the outback. Embarassed The vehicle was 2 weeks old.
 Take the road less traveled. Dual battery system.ORS drawers,LR cargo Barrier.ARB Bull bar,side protection bars,Mickey Thompson ATR's 17" rims, Rear wheel carrier, radiator guard TPMS Mitchell Bros Tow Hitch LR RAI Steel Rims , GME UHF, Off Road GPS, Llams (yet to be fitted)  
Post #28834018th Apr 2008 5:25 am
caverD3

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

A good system to have. That is why safety experts like it, takes over when you do something dumb.
Was the TR on or off?
 â€œThere are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games”
Ernest Hemmingway
D4 3.0 Active Diff, Adaptive Lights, High Beam Assist, Surround Cameras, Privacy Glass.
D3 2.7:Adaptive Headlights,Electronic Rear Diff,ARB Bar,Blaupunkt Speakers,JVC Powered Subwoofer,Removable Snorkel,Mitch Hitch,Pioneer After Market Head Unit,Steering Wheel Control Adaptor,Remote Adjustable Supension Rod System, Taxside Dual Battery System. 

Post #28834218th Apr 2008 6:23 am
heine

South Africa 2009 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Alaska WhiteDiscovery 3

I notice a big drop off in power between normal and grass/gravel/snow . But I assume this is also more noticable because of the remap ?

Post #28835418th Apr 2008 8:02 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
nickm

heine, I notice a big drop off in throttle response, but do you actually think there is a drop in power as well? Why would that make sense?

Post #28850318th Apr 2008 1:49 pm
PaulP

Spain 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

There's no drop off in power in GGS....the throttle response is just 'softened' meaning that you need to push the pedal further to get the same response from it.....(exactly the opposite to what happens in Sand mode).

In heine's case he will notice a huge difference as his engine re-map will give him loads more go in normal mode (230 bhp?) with no TR mode selected and when he sticks it in GGS, it will use a 'softened' version of the standard engine map (190 bhp).

The diff(s) are, as already mentioned, variably locking...they never physically lock 100% but in some TR modes (such as GGS) they are pre-loaded to come into play much earlier than in standard mode. The TC is also primed to cut wheelsping earlier (GGS, rock crawl) or later (sand) depending on the mode selected.

TC prevents wheels from spinning when they have no traction. Either by cutting power or applying the brakes to the spinning wheel(s) using the ABS module. A wheel is considered to have lost traction when the ABS/wheel speed sensors detect that it's speed is different to the others by a certain degree. Of course, you will often have more than one wheel without traction but you get the idea Wink

DSC works with the TC system, taking it's data from different sensors (including yaw/pitch and others that I don't understand) to keep the car going where it is pointed or where it should be going.

I hope this helps Thumbs Up
 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Buckingham Blue
2007 Golf GT DSG 

Post #28853818th Apr 2008 4:38 pm
nickm

Thanks PaulP, that does help. Overall my takeaway is that on a 'normal' South African dirt road it probably does make sense to be in GGS, especially if the surface is at all loose.

Post #28854818th Apr 2008 4:53 pm
Kabous

South Africa 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Alaska WhiteDiscovery 4

I always change the TR setting to GGS when leaving paved roads , it not only readies the vehicle's drive train for loose sand etc. but also softens the ride substantially (airbag suspension). Handles a lot better on gravel/dirt roads in GGS. Wink

Post #2969729th May 2008 10:13 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
PaulP

Spain 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

Kabous wrote:
but also softens the ride substantially (airbag suspension).

Shocked Shocked

I don't think it does....I'm 99.999% sure that the D3 can't modify the stiffness of it's suspension in any way.
 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Buckingham Blue
2007 Golf GT DSG 

Post #2969779th May 2008 10:21 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >