Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Discovery 5 - L462

D5/6-Who is the target market?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 5 of 5 <12345
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 

LT wrote:

As I daily drive for my business, or for motoring holidays my concerns over both age related issues and more importantly potential crank failure would be too strong. That’s just my personal feelings though.

My v6 RRS is my daily driver and I use it for work (home based) and it's got 156k miles on it now. I guess it could still snap but I'm hoping it doesn't (of course). My aim is to get a couple more years from it and then look at options to replace - might keep it and change the other car for an EV, not sure. But I want to have a "big" vehicle for the occasional towing and for shooting, holidays with the dogs in the back, etc..

I do like the idea of an SDV8 FFRR but equally a newer RRS like the D350 would be great too. Will just have to see what's about and the prices at the time. I wouldn't go to another V6 but only because I think there are better options about, not the crank thing. If a V6 came up at the right price then it would be considered.
 Visiting from rrsport.co.uk
2012 RRS SDV6
2008 RRS TDV8
"When you fire that first shot, no matter how right you feel, you have no idea who's going to die! You don't know who's children are going to scream and burn. How many hearts will be broken. How many lives shattered. How much blood will spill, until everybody does what they were always going to have to do from the very beginning: SIT DOWN AND TALK!" 

Post #237349918th Jul 2024 9:45 am
stick

United Kingdom 2010 LR4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Izmir BlueLR4

I have had two D4's from new since March 2010 and loved them. Current one is March 2015 with 150,000 miles. I too thinking it might be time to change, although cranks do seem to go at anytime and not just be age related. There are other things that might go, like earth strap and EGR manifolds, and as I go the Alps for weeks at a time it is becoming more of a worry.

As I have not had a new car for almost 10 years, I currently have my name down for a L460 FFRR. Huge amount of money and awful depreciation, but I am 62 and might be my last big spend car. Have specced it just how I want it, but still might cancel due to expense, and it still wont be quite as good as my D4 on so many issues.
 d4 HSE  
Post #237350018th Jul 2024 9:52 am
Sandyh

United Kingdom 

For me a FFRR would be a waste and I think the kids would ruin it! Although it has crossed my mind as we tend to keep cars for a long time. Normally 100k life with us.
I've just got to 98k on the D4 in my ownership it'll be over 100k this summer and 165k total.
The TDV8 option is the main reason for looking at them. the V6 does make me worry most weeks and not a dice I want to roll again.

The 5.0 D4 thread has really got me thinking though. The Japanese seem to look after there motors and they all look brand new. Not sure if I could stomach the fuel bills though with 20k/year mileage that we do.
Has anybody seen a typical MPG for these engines?
We live in the hills of Sheffield so only see low 20's MPG generally. Get up to 26/27 mpg on a long run with no caravan at best. I'm not sure if the e-diff has an effect on it as I do seem to get lower than most people.

Still, I'm hoping to get another 12-18 month's out of this one still.

Post #237350118th Jul 2024 10:39 am
LT

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Landmark LE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

RRSTDV8 wrote:
LT wrote:

As I daily drive for my business, or for motoring holidays my concerns over both age related issues and more importantly potential crank failure would be too strong. That’s just my personal feelings though.

My v6 RRS is my daily driver and I use it for work (home based) and it's got 156k miles on it now. I guess it could still snap but I'm hoping it doesn't (of course). My aim is to get a couple more years from it and then look at options to replace - might keep it and change the other car for an EV, not sure. But I want to have a "big" vehicle for the occasional towing and for shooting, holidays with the dogs in the back, etc..

I do like the idea of an SDV8 FFRR but equally a newer RRS like the D350 would be great too. Will just have to see what's about and the prices at the time. I wouldn't go to another V6 but only because I think there are better options about, not the crank thing. If a V6 came up at the right price then it would be considered.

We all have different opinions and concerns.

The torque delivery of the SDV8 is sublime and IMO the best ever engine for a FFRR. Thumbs Up
 2006 D3 HSE (Original & still the best)-GONE
2010 D4 HSE (A bit bling)-GONE
2014 D4 HSE (Almost too bling)-GONE
2015 D4 HSE (A heated what?)-GONE
2016 D4 Landmark (Written Off)-GONE
2016 D4 Landmark (Surely the last!) PD1881 rims-GONE
2017 FFRR SDV8 Autobiography (now semi-retired) 

Post #237350318th Jul 2024 10:45 am
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 

Oh, I agree regarding concerns.

I still miss my old 3.6TDV8. That was a great engine in the RRS that was just effortless in combination with the 6-speed gearbox.
 Visiting from rrsport.co.uk
2012 RRS SDV6
2008 RRS TDV8
"When you fire that first shot, no matter how right you feel, you have no idea who's going to die! You don't know who's children are going to scream and burn. How many hearts will be broken. How many lives shattered. How much blood will spill, until everybody does what they were always going to have to do from the very beginning: SIT DOWN AND TALK!" 

Post #237352018th Jul 2024 2:46 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 5 of 5 <12345
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >