Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

Do I have one?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
croyde

Do I have one?

Talk of FBH amd low MPG now the cold weather is here and I'm wondering if I have one.

Mine is a MY06 TDV6 S with something under the front bumper that emits exhaust on warm up. I have not noticed the car being any warmer quicker than any other that I have owned but the MPG has plummeted.

Alot of diesel smell on starting aswell.

If I do have one, is it automatic then or can I turn it off and on. There is nothing in the settings display.

Thanks for any help.

Post #2935823rd Nov 2005 9:09 pm
Cliff H

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

You have one and it will just do it's own thing!
It will come on at around 6 degrees
 Zermatt silver 06 reg.

Gone but not forgotten !!! 

Post #2936123rd Nov 2005 9:12 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
simon

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Yes ! ALL TDV6 vehicles are fitted with the FBH and its automatic only - no way to disable - lots of talk of using the timer and it failing unless you use the radio on trick... but then it will only kick in of timed too within 30 mins. This is die to the radio auto off after 30mins.

Many threads re this currently so join the fun.

Your Settings Menu should have the Pre Heat and Pre Cool timer settings in there. If not... interesting as there has been talk of LR removing this at some stage in order to deflect customers saying it doesn't work (which it won't without the radio trick).

Many have been using this trick successfully too but it can lead to flat batteries and such if abused.

-s

Post #2936223rd Nov 2005 9:13 pm
croyde

Thanks for the replies fellas.

Is this heater just for comfort or essential to the engine.

Cheers.

Post #2936523rd Nov 2005 9:16 pm
Cliff H

I think LR have removed it as it is certainly not in my 06 menu!
 Zermatt silver 06 reg.

Post #2936623rd Nov 2005 9:16 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Cliff H

We should all just be thankfull that LR actually put the silencer on Disco 3 FBH.
They don't on the same heater on TD4 Freelanders and they howl like crazy, people stare as you go past Confused
Apparently you can add it to the TD4 set up but you have to remove half the front of the car to do it.
Dealers deny that it can be done though and it does not exist on their parts lists.
 Zermatt silver 06 reg.

Post #2936923rd Nov 2005 9:20 pm
simon

Cliff H wrote:
I think LR have removed it as it is certainly not in my 06 menu!

Interesting...

Post #2937123rd Nov 2005 9:23 pm
simon

croyde wrote:
Thanks for the replies fellas.

Is this heater just for comfort or essential to the engine.

Cheers.

Not sure but its very welcome these days Smile

Post #2937323rd Nov 2005 9:25 pm
BN

England 

Cliff H wrote:
We should all just be thankfull that LR actually put the silencer on Disco 3 FBH.
They don't on the same heater on TD4 Freelanders and they howl like crazy, people stare as you go past Confused
Apparently you can add it to the TD4 set up but you have to remove half the front of the car to do it.
Dealers deny that it can be done though and it does not exist on their parts lists.

The silence is the little converluted pipe that should point slightly forward and to the centre of the car. They are readily available as accessories.

Post #2938823rd Nov 2005 9:40 pm
Cliff H

BN wrote:
Cliff H wrote:

The silence is the little converluted pipe that should point slightly forward and to the centre of the car. They are readily available as accessories.

No it's not the pipe it has that, it is the inline back box / silencer looking bit that makes the difference, the TD4 just has a pipe away from the FBH.
 Zermatt silver 06 reg.

Post #2939723rd Nov 2005 9:47 pm
BN

England 

Cliff H wrote:
BN wrote:
Cliff H wrote:

No it's not the pipe it has that, it is the inline back box / silencer looking bit that makes the difference, the TD4 just has a pipe away from the FBH.

Yes, it is one unit on the D3 I think you will find.

Post #2939923rd Nov 2005 9:48 pm
Cliff H

BN wrote:
Cliff H wrote:
BN wrote:
Cliff H wrote:

If I remember right the fbh has a short length of tube then silencer then more tube to the bottom of the engine bay
 Zermatt silver 06 reg.

Post #2941123rd Nov 2005 9:53 pm
simon

Cliff H wrote:
BN wrote:
Cliff H wrote:
BN wrote:
Cliff H wrote:

If I remember right the fbh has a short length of tube then silencer then more tube to the bottom of the engine bay

Now this is getting seriously LROI now... sorry mine works as far as LR could get it too and it makes me happy to be warm faster than any previous car I've owned... pipes / silencers or not Smile

Post #2944223rd Nov 2005 10:12 pm
marc

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Adriatic BlueDiscovery 3

simon wrote:
Yes ! ALL TDV6 vehicles are fitted with the FBH and its automatic only - no way to disable -

Simon,

Yes there is Very Happy Very Happy .

Do you want to know????

Go on then I will tell you all Very Happy

There is a little box in the battery compartment that contains a nice set of fuses. Very Happy

one of them seems to be purely for the FBH and I was very tempted to take it out and see if it makes any difference to the time it takes to heat the car up, not to mention the MPG Shocked .

Of course if you did remove the fuse, chances are the car would flag up all kinds of errors. Shocked So if you do do, its at your own risk Twisted Evil (but let us know the results Wink )

Cheers

Marc
 Disco 3 now gone!!

Discovery 3 S spec 2.7 V6 Diesel. Smile

Previous Car to D3: Seat Leon Cupra R with a nice 280 bhp...... Sad to see it go Sad 

Post #2982025th Nov 2005 2:32 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >