Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Australia & New Zealand

Electric trailer brakes and brake controller
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
StornowaySA

Australia 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 4
Electric trailer brakes and brake controller

Did anyone ever confirm whether Australian spec Dicso 3's have the wiring pre wired in like one of teh USA guys says the USA cars do? He claimed there was a grey plug up near the brake pedal (under dash) that you simply plugged the Controller into and that was that....what I dont understand is surely you then still need the 12 pin plug added near the tow bar to plug the brakes in from the trailer?

We have a Dunbier Trailer with Hydrastar Brakes. And I bought the Hayes controller as it suits the boat trailer plus the horse float plus most camper trailers.

http://www.dunbiermarine.com/hydrastar.php
 MY2010 D4 HSE 3.0, e-diff, 19inch MTR's; LLAMS Height adjustor, LR f & r light guards, LR side steps, LR bright finish side door mouldings; LR/Mantec G4 front bash plate, LR G4 Winch kit, Warn 9500lb Winch; GOE compressor guard, Uniden UHF, LR bright finish roof rails, LR G4 driving light kit, LR G4 ladder, 4 x extra rear compartment 12V sockets, Traxide dual battery system and Optima Yellowtop battery, ORS drawer system / fridge slide, LED rear compartment lighting.  
Post #27984931st Mar 2008 9:49 am
dash

Australia 

I searched everywhere for the plug and I also had the factory Tekonsha plug to suit LR but it is not to be found on the Aus version.The usual wires need to be run.I still used the existing rear plug but wired it up to Australian Specs.The wires can be accessed in the rear passenger side at the fuse panel.

Cheers

Post #2802941st Apr 2008 2:26 am
StornowaySA

Thanks Dash! appreciate your help!
 MY2010 D4 HSE 3.0, e-diff, 19inch MTR's; LLAMS Height adjustor, LR f & r light guards, LR side steps, LR bright finish side door mouldings; LR/Mantec G4 front bash plate, LR G4 Winch kit, Warn 9500lb Winch; GOE compressor guard, Uniden UHF, LR bright finish roof rails, LR G4 driving light kit, LR G4 ladder, 4 x extra rear compartment 12V sockets, Traxide dual battery system and Optima Yellowtop battery, ORS drawer system / fridge slide, LED rear compartment lighting.  
Post #2802951st Apr 2008 2:27 am
StornowaySA

Just one more question - this is the connector on the trailer. Dash, are you saying that this can be replaced with a standard 7 pin plug as per factory fitted on the car? I got the impression you needed one connector for the trailers lights (standard connector) and another for the brakes - totally separate.

Click image to enlarge
Post #2802961st Apr 2008 2:32 am
dash

Australia 

I'll see if I can find the pinout's I used but I definately used just the 1 plug.The factory wired plug has a left hand and right hand feed for tailights and I think 1 of those is used for trailer brakes .I'll post the diagram if I can find it shortly

Cheers

Post #2803011st Apr 2008 2:40 am
StornowaySA

Thanks!! Smile
Post #2803021st Apr 2008 2:45 am
StornowaySA

Its just dawned on me - I just need another adaptor like the one that comes standard with Disco's in WA (small 7 pin round to large 7 pin round); I assume you can buy an adptor that works with large seven pin round to seven pin horizontal....right??????.
Post #2803031st Apr 2008 2:56 am
dash

Australia 

I'm sure you can buy adaptors but you still need to rewire the Plug to Aus specs

-------- UK --- Aus
pin 1 LH Turn -- same
pin2 Fog -- REV
pin 3 Earth -- same
pin4 RH turn -- same
pin5 RH Tail -- Electic Brakes
pin 6 Brake -- Brake
pin 7 LH Tail -- Tailamps

The 1 tailamp feed ,pin 5 needs to be removed and the brake controller fed to it.This can be done at the plug or in the rear cargo area panel.

The White plug for info
1. Reverse lights
3. Ground
7.Ground
4.12v Battery
6 Ignition 12v

Admin note: this post has had its images recovered from a money grabbing photo hosting site and reinstated Mr. Green

Post #2803061st Apr 2008 3:08 am
StornowaySA

Understood! Many thanks, I have found an adaptor - and thanks heaps for the wiring info!!
Post #2803071st Apr 2008 3:18 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >