Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

HI ICE sound system
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
adara

Romania 
HI ICE sound system

Just curious about the HI ICE 8 speaker sound system; amplifier type and power, speaker power, etc. Anyone has any details? Where is the passive subwoofer? And anyone tried audio DVD's in it? Thank you.

Post #2932923rd Nov 2005 6:20 pm
Slimer
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

Subwoofer is in the lower tailgate.
The head unit is Alpine and the audio system is by Harman/Becker (apparently)
Power wise don't know, probably in the handbook somewhere, volume goes up to 35 (Spinal Tap only managed 11 Wink ) and the sound doesn't distort.
I doubt audio DVDs will work as it a CD player though MP3 CDs do. You could try them in the SatNav DVD drive I suppose? Shocked
 The End  
Post #2933023rd Nov 2005 6:28 pm
Mossy

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Tried DVD Audio / DTS CD and Super Audios (not hybrid) in the Premium set up and none play. I expect it to be the same across the range.

Paul
 D3 HSE V8...  
Post #2933123rd Nov 2005 6:38 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
adara

Romania 

Thank you for the details! There are no specs in the audio manual. The question about DVD's was based on a statement from the audio user guide: "Dual/DVDPlus discs:
Please be aware that a new generation of DVD
discs is being adopted by the music industry.
They are known as Dual Discs or DVDPlus
discs. They have digital music on one side and
video content on the other. Current in-car audio
systems with a front loading CD player may
load and play this type of disc, however, it is
likely that the disc will not eject and may jam the
mechanism."

Post #2933723rd Nov 2005 7:26 pm
Mossy

Just had a look through my manual and the only disc warning is about copy-protected nit conforming to red-book standrads and therefore amy not play.

I have stuffed all sorts of disc formats into mine... it either play them or rejects them. Spits them all out regardless and in one piece.

I dont know how the various CD-players physically handle the discs, but unless they vary in thickness (unlikely within accpetable parameters), dont know how they could jam? A disc is a disc?

NB. I'm not an expert just applying my own logic - I wouldnt trust me!!! Laughing
 D3 HSE V8...  
Post #2934223rd Nov 2005 7:36 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
DrLex

Iceland 

Mossy wrote:
Just had a look through my manual and the only disc warning is about copy-protected (not) conforming to red-book (standards) and therefore (may) not play.

I have stuffed all sorts of disc formats into mine... it either play them or rejects them. Spits them all out regardless and in one piece.

I dont know how the various CD-players physically handle the discs, but unless they vary in thickness (unlikely within accpetable parameters), dont know how they could jam? A disc is a disc?

NB. I'm not an expert just applying my own logic - I wouldnt trust me!!! Laughing

[techy-dullness]

Two points from this:
Red book standards define a Compact Disc. If a disc has copy-protection methods on it, it is a multi-session disc and doesn't usually conform to the red book standards and thus cannot be marked with the Compact Disc logo. Discs play on audio players from inner to outer; computer disc-drives read the whole disc to check the number of sessions. The copy-protection is invariably on the outer edge of the disc so as not to 'upset' audio players. Since the HK LR player plays mp3s, I assume that it acts like a computer drive and reads the whole disk. Copy protection may well flummox it, as it cannot install the copy-protection software. Yet another reason to boycott daft DRM schemes (yes, hello Sony BMG) or buy a Mac/install Linux and rip to a CD-R. If you're steady with a black market pen, you can obsure the outer track of copy-protection and "restore" red book compatibility. I'd prefer to return it to the store and make a point.

Slot loading Disc players usually jam if 8cm discs are inserted. These seem to be pretty rare these days, but are around. Having had to gut a domestic DVD player to fish out a mini, I can tell you it's a royal PITA.
[/techy dullness]
 Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana

Member of Club Med Sucks 

Post #2934823rd Nov 2005 7:50 pm
Mossy

Further to my recent post it would appear that there are two problems with DualDisc releases.

1. There have been some reported jamming due to the slight increased thickness of the disc (1.5 mm vs typically 1.2 mm for red-book CD). The problems very rare and only to the in-car variety of players. Some manuals (I doubt if Land Rover's does) do specify the player's tolerences for disc thickness. Might be that LR are just covering themselves.

2. Problem concerns the software disc encoding, which can damage and therefore void the warranty of some high-end players (Mark Levinson, Proceed and Lexicon, etc). I think this mainly concerns DVD players.

I hope this helps? Might be one of those cases where 9 out of 10 DualDisc play fine then one will just decide it's time to stick.

Sorry about the erroneous info. Embarassed I posted before. Never had cause to worry about disc thickness but I thought I would do some digging.

Hope this helps?
 D3 HSE V8...  
Post #2935523rd Nov 2005 8:00 pm
KL

Scotland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Manual Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

The warning is just LR covering their ar@e, no doubt.
 Discovery 3 tdv6 7 seat Buckingham Blue
Had it since new - sold Jun 17 after 12 years and 214,000 miles 

Post #2935623rd Nov 2005 8:03 pm
Mossy

Would seem that 0.3 mm extra thickness is all te difference Laughing
 D3 HSE V8...  
Post #2935723rd Nov 2005 8:08 pm
adara

Romania 

Do you get a pop after each track on mp3 discs? They don't show up on my other CD/mp3 players...

Now about the Harman Kardon Premium ICE system. Through web digging I found out the output power is 240W. Sound is great at middle/high levels, but at low levels there is no bass. The car I had before was a Peugeot 607 with 2 big JBL factory fitted subwoofers in the back. Same situation, bass only at mid/high levels. On the other hand, my wife has a Volvo XC70 with a fantastic sounding cd changer. One of the best sounding auto systems I ever heard, with plenty of bass at low levels and I think the explanation is the position of the subwoofer, in the Volvo it's on the dashboard...

Post #2982425th Nov 2005 1:53 pm
Mossy

Never had a pop at the begining of any MP3 tracks although my system is fussy about the sampling rates - simply hates some odd mutiples like 192, although the variable bit-rate seems fine. Are you mixicing bit rates on the same discs as I have heard (never suffered myself) this can cause some pops as ajustments are made?

Bass is more than fine on mine and I do throw some pretty varied music through it.

My biggest issue is speaker vibration with bass and higher volume - I live with it.
 D3 HSE V8...  
Post #2982525th Nov 2005 1:58 pm
Guy

United Kingdom 

adara wrote:

Now about the Harman Kardon Premium ICE system. Through web digging I found out the output power is 240W. Sound is great at middle/high levels, but at low levels there is no bass. The car I had before was a Peugeot 607 with 2 big JBL factory fitted subwoofers in the back. Same situation, bass only at mid/high levels. On the other hand, my wife has a Volvo XC70 with a fantastic sounding cd changer. One of the best sounding auto systems I ever heard, with plenty of bass at low levels and I think the explanation is the position of the subwoofer, in the Volvo it's on the dashboard...

Adara - a very complex subject. I did some of the early work with Ford when we moved from just having a radio and a couple of speakers in the car to a tailored sound system. One of the things that interested me (not knowing a lot about the inner workings of the automotive industry) is that there is a strict pecking order for real estate in a car. For example, the team that locates the internal door handle on a door is higher priority than the team who want to place the loudspeakers. That meant (at the time) that loudspeakers ended up in some very inappropriate places. I'm sure that has changed now that ICE is much more important. In all new high-specification cars, the audio system is carefully matched to the vehicle and a lot of acoustic testing is carried out in the development process. Personally I find the D3 system very well balanced with plenty of power (I have the SE system without the active sub - which I'm sure is even better).

Regarding subwoofers and low frequencies - the reason you don't tend to get sub frequencies at low levels is due to the human hearing response curve: again, complicated but type "Fletcher-Munson Curve" into Google and I'm sure you'll find all you need to know! To overcome this in the very simplest way, someone invented the 'Loudness' button many years ago. It simply boosts the low frequencies. Trouble is, if you don't switch it out when you turn the level up, you tend to get very bass-heavy response. Some pro audio systems have an adaptive version of this loudness effect which boosts the LF according to level. I would suspect that also happens in some modern high-end ICE systems, but I can't give you a definitive answer on that.

You could always put the JBLs back in. I think I've got two 18" 800 watt cinema subwoofer drivers in the garage somewhere...
Wink

Post #2982825th Nov 2005 2:18 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >