Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

Worried about a serious transmission issue - help!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
jekyllman

United States 2005 LR3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Bonatti GreyLR3
Worried about a serious transmission issue - help!

Quick story: Did a trail in Utah (USA) with some steep inclines (around 30-40 deg at times) with no issues. Temps around 80 deg F outside. Starting coming back down the mountain on the sand dunes and hit one weird and almost rolled it. Got stuck with it tilted to around 35-40 deg on its side. Freaked me out a bit. However, I hooked it up to my friend’s LR4 to keep me from rolling, dug out the wheels and put it in reverse. It started backing out then it threw a transmission fault, limited gears. My power was completely cut. I couldn’t get any power out of it and revs stayed really low. I cycled the ignition and as soon as revs got above about 2000rpm it threw the fault again. Transmission fluid temp never got above 106 deg C that I noticed on the GAP tool. Finally ended up getting pulled backwards to get unstuck. I turned around to gun it out the way I came but it kept throwing the fault and cut my power. It took 5-6 tries before it finally let me access the power I needed to get up the hill and out. It would shift me into 2nd then 3rd gear. Went into manual mode and in both high and low range. I cleared codes with the GAP tool. Nothing was working. I don’t understand what I could get any power. Once I got out we continued down the mountain and all the way home with zero issues. Codes I got with the transmission were the following:

P0730-00 (6D) - Incorrect gear ratio
P0736-00 (ED) - Reverse incorrect ratio

Should I be stressed about a bad transmission??

Post #228506425th Mar 2022 8:40 am
altblech-schrauber.de

Germany 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

howdy,

since you got both "slip" faults:
P0730-00 (6D) - Incorrect gear ratio
P0736-00 (ED) - Reverse incorrect ratio

you might be in luck.

those ratio codes mean that some or one of the clutches are slipping, since you have been o
n a steep angle, and forward and reverse was monitored i would asume that you filter caught some air.

I would check the tranny oil level first, at this point it would be also good to change it, just to be safe, slipping a auto clutch burns up the oil pretty bad.

If the fault persist, u recomend you stop using the car and diagnose it thoroughly, burning up clutch drum (or bell or hatever its called) is a pain in the Censored , and i a asume its not that easy to get genuine ZF parts over there.

the best of luck from across the duck pond Very Happy

Post #228506725th Mar 2022 8:50 am
jekyllman

United States 2005 LR3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Bonatti GreyLR3

Thanks for the response. I ended up driving it home 450 miles with no issues at all. Hope that is a good sign. I had just cleaned out the transmission solenoids, replaced the rubber parts above the valve body, and add new fluid before going on this trip so it made me nervous

Post #228525426th Mar 2022 10:43 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >