Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

Sport/Command-shift modes will not engage
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
drcoopster

United States 2006 LR3 4.4 V8 SE Auto Buckingham BlueLR3
Sport/Command-shift modes will not engage

When I try to engage sport or command-shift mode, nothing happens; the dash display continues to read 'D' as if I hadn't moved the lever. This is on an LR3 with the auto transmission and 4.4 V8. I'm not getting any error messages on the info display, and IIDTool shows that none of the ECUs are reporting any faults.

The linkage is well-greased and moves freely; I've tried to replace the gear selector unit but I'm still getting nothing. Any ideas?
 2006 LR3 SE  
Post #9275962nd May 2012 10:37 pm
mepham55

Canada 2006 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

On my truck if I slide it into command shift the "D" shows until you actually shift up or down with the command shift then it will display the gear you are in. Maybe that's what your seeing?

Matt

Post #9276193rd May 2012 3:20 am
drcoopster

Unfortunately, no. It simply continues along in "D". According to the manual, it's supposed to show an "S" when you put it into sport mode, and then the gear number if you ask it to change gears.

Unnecessary quote removed
 2006 LR3 SE  
Post #9276213rd May 2012 4:36 am
DiscoDunc

England 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Aintree GreenDiscovery 4

I assume if you push the gear stick up or down the gears dont change either, or is it just the display that doesnt work ?
 Duncan
-----------------------------------------------------
If I'd known I was going to be so thirsty this morning I'd have drunk more beer last night.
FFRR Autobiography 4.4 SDV8 MY17
D4 HSE MY13 SOLD
FFRR 3.6 Vogue TDV8 SOLD
D4 HSE MY10 SOLD
D4 SE TECH MY15 SOLD
D4 XS MY12 SOLD
D4 HSE MY10 SOLD
D3 HSE MY06 - Re-Cycled Worldwide 

Post #9276573rd May 2012 9:11 am
drcoopster

Your assumption is correct. It's simply as if I'd left it in D. The other gear selections (P, R, N) work fine and cable linkage appears to be adjusted properly.
 2006 LR3 SE  
Post #9277303rd May 2012 3:43 pm
hids4u

United Kingdom 2009 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 3

probably faulty position switch in the gear stick leaver. had this on an lr3 that had had a milk shake spilt on it.

Post #9279033rd May 2012 9:57 pm
drcoopster

As I mentioned in my first post, replacing the selector unit did not fix the problem.
 2006 LR3 SE  
Post #9279113rd May 2012 10:24 pm
DVD

United States 2005 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

Good timing, I found this on a search because I have the exact same symptoms. I ordered the parts for the Autobox Gear Lever pivot rebuild/maintenance. It looks like it will be good maintenance, but I'm skeptical because the gear lever doesn't feel rough. So I'll check the position switch next. I'll post updates here, and hope you find the solution (and report on it Smile )
Good luck,
-Dirk

Post #9286366th May 2012 12:30 am
drcoopster

Do you have a link to that kit? I'd like to see what parts are involved. Unless both of mine are missing something, all of the switches on the gear selector assembly are hall-effect sensors, so there are no mechanical parts (of the switch) to break or get stuck.
 2006 LR3 SE  
Post #9286376th May 2012 4:27 am
DVD

hello drcoopster, here's the link for "disco_mikey's" procedure for the "Autobox Gear Lever pivot rebuild/maintenance": http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/topic31656.html
The good news is that the parts are not expensive (or "dear" they might say on this board Smile ), and it looks like good maintenance. I'm from Arizona, so I can't abide rust.

I expect to receive parts in approx. a week, so i'll post if any positive results.

Thanks,
-Dirk

Post #9286516th May 2012 7:44 am
drcoopster

Thanks. I've checked out the linkage and hardware there on my truck and everything is still clean and moves freely.

Unfortunately that won't help at all with the problem that I'm having (and you too, it sounds like). The cable is only used to select between P, R, N, and D. Moving the lever over into sport/manual mode and using that to select gears does not move the cable, it's electronic.

2006 LR3 SE  
Post #9287566th May 2012 4:43 pm
drcoopster

I'm not trying to be a downer, but I've checked everything that I can think of short of replacing the transmission ECU.
 2006 LR3 SE  
Post #9287576th May 2012 4:44 pm
boogerifique

2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

Hi guys. greetings from the Philippines. just recently encountered this problem as well. shifting is great when in 'D' mode but it does not move to either 'S' mode or 'M' mode nor does it indicate being in the said modes at all. always in 'D' no matter what. i went to the dealer and they said maybe we should change the rotary board and actual knob selector unit. so we did to no avail. last step was to change the transmission control module to no avail again. still nada on the S or M selections. now they are saying the harness connecting the knob selector to the TCM could be the issue. probably something as easy as dirty points of contact or what not. in the mean time, i suggested i would use my car first for a week and let all the newly installed components work together. running loads better now. great shifting and absolutely more power. it's still kind of annoying tho i don't have the 'S' or the 'M' modes working properly...Unnecessary quote removed

Post #9288146th May 2012 7:17 pm
boogerifique

2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

oh and i also read in another forum ( hoping this could be the solution ), that a weak charging battery's first line of action to save up on power is to downplay the electric load required by the transmission control module. so it's possible the reason why i don't have the 's' or 'm' modes is co'z my 4 year old battery needs to be replaced already. (crossing fingers). will find out tom and post feedback. [quote="boogerifique"]Hi guys. greetings from the Philippines. just recently encountered this problem as well. shifting is great when in 'D' mode but it does not move to either 'S' mode or 'M' mode nor does it indicate being in the said modes at all. always in 'D' no matter what. i went to the dealer and they said maybe we should change the rotary board and actual knob selector unit. so we did to no avail. last step was to change the transmission control module to no avail again. still nada on the S or M selections. now they are saying the harness connecting the knob selector to the TCM could be the issue. probably something as easy as dirty points of contact or what not. in the mean time, i suggested i would use my car first for a week and let all the newly installed components work together. running loads better now. great shifting and absolutely more power. it's still kind of annoying tho i don't have the 'S' or the 'M' modes working properly... Unnecessary quote removed

Post #9288156th May 2012 7:24 pm
DVD

Sorry to hear of your problems, but misery loves company, and between the 3 of us, we'll probably get to the solution. I have an '03 BMW with similar "command shift" transmission, and I probably use it once a year. Had the LR for only 6 wks or so, and noticed this problem only a week ago. So it's something that I could live without (i.e., I would consider cost of repair parts before fixing). But, the functionality is probably useful when offroad; that's where I discovered the problem, and a primary reason for buying the vehicle. Plenty of times when the terrain doesn't require descent control, or even low, but where you want to use a lower gear.
It's odd that I did a fairly thorough search and this thread is the only spot-on hit. The model has been in service for 7 yrs, and this is the first user posting on this problem (that I found), and now 3 of us have the same thing within a week.
As mentioned, I plan to do that gear lever replacement / lube next weekend. Based on conjecture and comments, I wasn't expecting that to solve the problem, but it's an inexpensive step in the troubleshooting process. And based on these most recent comments, it seems like the solution could be some non-intuitive thing like this (e.g., maybe the cable/rod is supposed to be a few mm further for electronic sport mode to be accessible, and the maintenance will allow it travel that extra little bit. Note: that is total, very remote speculation.)

Post #9288967th May 2012 12:06 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >