Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

Compressor won’t stop
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
jamesj74

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4
Compressor won’t stop

It was a cold morning today and on the way to ParkRun I had a normal height only fault. After the run when I got back to the car I realised the compressor was still running. Luckily she still started. I got home and disconnected the battery for an hour or so and touching the + lead to ground. Upon reconnecting the compressor immediately started again. So I then pulled relay 7 in the engine fuse box by the battery and it stopped. Put relay 7 back and it remained stopped. Started ignition and fault has cleared. Could this just be the cold weather? Do these compressors need the air dryer replaced ever? It’s one of the uprated compressors (AMK) and probably 3 or 4 years old (approx 60,000 miles). Worth swapping the relay if the fault returns?
 Smoked swooshy side repeaters
LEDs
Sill protectors
Tinted lights
GAP IID BT 3
LRP Tailgate release
RedTiger Dash Cam 

Post #227291815th Jan 2022 1:25 pm
Flack

England 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

I would try a new relay first, they work on positvie feed and run when its earthed. You can use the relay next to it to see if that is the cause.

Flack Thumbs Up

Post #227292115th Jan 2022 1:29 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
jamesj74

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

I just remembered I carry a spare (new) relay of the correct type in the glove box. If the fault returns I’ll try the new one.
LEDs
Sill protectors
Tinted lights
GAP IID BT 3
LRP Tailgate release
RedTiger Dash Cam 

Post #227292815th Jan 2022 1:44 pm
PROFSR G

Ukraine 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 Commercial XS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

They do need to be serviced every 3 or 4 years or so (drier desiccant & filters) and a clean out.

In your case it does sound sound like you have a duff relay which is easily remedied. My only concern would be how long was the compressor running?

Unchecked or internal faults can see them reach very high temps after a relatively short running time.
(ie. outside that of normal operation.)
 yµ (idµ - eAµ) ψ=mψ

Post #227295215th Jan 2022 3:41 pm
jamesj74

About 22 mins. I’m a pretty fast runner. Plus 10 mins to drive home and find the right sized spanner…
LEDs
Sill protectors
Tinted lights
GAP IID BT 3
LRP Tailgate release
RedTiger Dash Cam 

Post #227296115th Jan 2022 4:23 pm
PROFSR G

Ukraine 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 Commercial XS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Under normal operation (short cycles) the compressor doesn't get much above 50°C very often much less, unless the ride height settings are being used. The motor temp will remain at or very near to ambient.

Operating temps rise in parallel with that of duty cycle time periods. If say the system was completely depleted of air as a result of a tank leak, overnight for example. A healthy compressor will take around 3 to 4 mins to fill the system completely with the height set to the "normal" position. A compressor temperature somewhere between 50°C and 70°C would be normal for this, or moderately higher depending on the wear in the compressor. The motor will remain at ambient or a few degrees above.

Where a leak was present, I have seen temperatures rise to well over 130°C for both the compressor and the motor after only around 6 mins running time. So whilst I can't say what your compressor temp was likely to have been after a 22 min, I suspect you could have cooked a small mammal on it by the time you were back home. Laughing Having said that, the excess compressed air must have been dumped via the exh valve, so hopefully there would not have been too much demand on the unit and thus less heat generated.

Fit a new relay, (cheap) don't wait for it to fault again or it could render it kaput (not cheap)
Order a rebuild kit (drier & filters) and an exh valve, you can then refurbish it yourself if it's not damaged beyond that.

https://4x4airseals.com/product/amk-air-dr...1a13-c1a20
 yµ (idµ - eAµ) ψ=mψ

Post #227297215th Jan 2022 5:28 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >