Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

Huge amount of exhaust smoke, low oil, and misfires
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Phunter

United States 2007 LR3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverLR3
Huge amount of exhaust smoke, low oil, and misfires

I am hoping my 4.4 v8 will be okay after swapping in a new PCV valve. Would you recommend a new hose as well. Would you recommend a new spark plugs since oil is everywhere or can I wipe them off.
The codes also mention O2 sensors as well as cylinder misfires. Should I budget in new O2 sensors?

I am hoping someone will chime in and tell me what exactly to do. I did give it some oil after if discovering the smoke and limped home going under 30 mph. The oil light never came on. I had to drive it 40 minutes to limp home with the check engine light coming on for last 10 minutes. It was never flashing. I am hoping someone can reassure me my engine is okay.
Thanks for any replies in advance

Post #22716218th Jan 2022 7:14 pm
Yankee_Rover

United States 2008 LR3 4.4 V8 HSE Lux Auto Zermatt SilverLR3

Sounds like you had a rough afternoon. I’m not sure I can help, but anyone that can help will first ask you for engine codes, so may as well start there. What are you diagnostic codes?
 2008 LR3 HSE, 4.4L V8  
Post #22716609th Jan 2022 1:33 am
Phunter

the misfire codes of p0302, p0304, p0306, p0308, the multiple misfire code p0300, p0316
p0159, p0158 p0175 system too rich

the truck had been doing fine. all of a sudden issue.

Post #22716669th Jan 2022 2:10 am
Yankee_Rover

Have you done anything beyond replace the PCV valve? How long after replacing PCV did symptoms start?

All of those codes are tied to the same bank, so they are definitely related. That’s also the same bank as where the PCV is located, but I generally wouldn’t expect a PCV to cause these problems. Perhaps your new PCV is faulty —clogged PCV can cause misfire and oil burning.

P0316 is a startup misfire code, so you probably drove it the entire time with the misfires present. Was the smoke blue (oil burning) or white and smelling of fuel?
 2008 LR3 HSE, 4.4L V8  
Post #22716689th Jan 2022 3:00 am
Phunter

I have not replaced the PCV valve yet. If the weather is better soon I hope to get on this plan of attack. Hoping to order parts Monday am.

Hoping for an expert to steer me what parts to order and what procedure to follow. Should there be an additive to the oil and the replace the oil after running to clean the system? How to avoid sludge?
Hoping someone can say a blocked pcv valve is the place to start and a have a great chance of getting my engine back.

Thanks for your willingness to help

Post #22716699th Jan 2022 3:53 am
Yankee_Rover

First things: what color is your smoke? Describe the odor. We need to establish the source of your smoke, as it’s a key symptom.

If it were me, I’d start by topping oil to the proper level. If there is sludge present, it will be due to long term maintenance history, not worth concerning yourself about presently. The sludge problem can be revisited after fixing the misfires and fuel issues.. It seems you’ve been reading up on PCV failure, hence your concern for sludging. Are there other reasons you have started with PCV?

Next, clean the MAF sensor. Dirty MAF can cause all sorts of fuel trim problems, such as running rich, which will cause misfire and WHITE smoke coming from exhaust. It will smell like gasoline, hard to mistake. After cleaning MAF, clear your engine codes and run the engine and see what returns.

Please know that most of us are shade tree mechanics (a few are professional), and in most situations it is unlikely someone will be able to provide a complete and accurate diagnosis immediately. Diagnostics are difficult in person, they are 10x harder online. Successful diagnosis requires very deliberate and methodical troubleshooting and a lot of effort on the part of the owner.
 2008 LR3 HSE, 4.4L V8  
Post #22717509th Jan 2022 5:34 pm
Phunter

Thanks for the reply. The smoke is white and massive. Like a smoke screen out of a bond movie. It definitely has burnt smell. Nothing from under the hood. Hope to look at it when weather improves.

Post #22718119th Jan 2022 8:37 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >