Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

Suspension Woes - What should I test?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
AndreasG

Cyprus 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Atacama SandDiscovery 3

Yankee_Rover wrote:

What were your old tires? Size and model? Could the harshness be related to a change in tire choice? I notice more bumps in my AT than the OEM Highway tires.

When you replaced the lower control arms, did you replace the entire arm or just bushings? What brand of arm or bushing? Polybush is notorious for a harsher ride, and many complain about them with 19” wheels. Inferior LCAs can appear equal while having slightly altered geometry or bushing material, causing all sorts of other side effects.

Old tires were Michelin Lattitude Tour HP and they wore unevenly (especially the rear inner sides) down to the wires. The alignment was way off. They were on road summer tire and I replaced them tih Pirelli Scorpion AT Plus which are A/T. Both were 255/55R19.
I replace front lower arms completely with OEM parts (Had an LR sticker on the arms), front bearings and steering racks (complete). All the parts I ordered were OEM quality. We gave the car a thorough check underneath and although I had ordere rear upper arms and bearings and the ARB bushings none needed replacing.
I aligned the car with the old (worn) tires since we replaced all those parts but now its booked again for alignment on Wednesday (guy moved it from Saturday).
 Discovery 3, TDV6, HSE, 2006
GAP IID BT Tool 

Post #22604965th Nov 2021 3:01 pm
AndreasG

I'll tell the guy at the alignment to give it a check or i'll visit an MOT shop and get it checked there as it should be checked.

I know the A/T's are harder tires but I have had them before on other cars and the difference was not that much. It sometimes feels like the interior parts are ready to fall to pieces.

Also, the clunking noises started to be heard a bit louder after I calibrated the steering wheel sensor although the ride got a bit smoother.

It does make sense that all this is caused by a hardware component but on the other hand I'm thinking that maybe the alignment was not done properly in the first place and maybe something is giving off a wrong signal or something and everything goes off in a chain reaction.
All these are so new to me to be honest that its like I'm re-discovering the wheel Embarassed

I'm starting to believe that as long as there i no fault codes or dash lights, it must be me!

Thanks for all the info guys anyway Smile
GAP IID BT Tool 

Post #22604985th Nov 2021 3:10 pm
AndreasG

Good morning to all,

Just to update:

Had the car aligned the proper way and calibrated (height and steering sensor). The car was fine on alignment terms as it was; it needed nothing altered.

One small issue we had was that the vehicle was about 0.5-0.8cm lower on both the left sides than the right sides but we figured it must have been a human error (and as the guy said he'd seen that in various LR/RR models with air suspension).

Overall the car seems to be OK on some days (mostly now that it's getting colder) and a bit stiffer on other days. I'm now assuming that it's down to the tires (changing from road tires to A/T's) and will play around with the tire pressures and see how that goes.

Also discovered that my compressor rubber mounts have gone so waiting for new ones to replace them (the compressor seemed to be all over the place when working and I could actually move the whole box with my hand). In addition, the brakes are almost entirely worn so I'm hoping the various sounds I hear when driving the car might be one, or both, of these items playing around making those various noises.
GAP IID BT Tool 

Post #226288518th Nov 2021 7:26 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >