Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Africa

Aircon kick-in noise
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Deondef

South Africa 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3
Aircon kick-in noise

I have a noise coming from behind the cubby boxes soon after car is started with aircon switched on or soon after aircon has been switched on while car is running.

The best way to describe it is it sounds like a surpressed f Censored rt Embarassed

Other that being irritating it is also embarassing when travelling with "visitors" in the car -

Anyone with similar situation - that is the car of course Question

Post #27394117th Mar 2008 3:20 pm
robharvey

South Africa 2012 Discovery 4 5.0 V8 SE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Deon,

I've also got the flatulence Laughing

Apparently no fix at this stage, other than maybe spraying a bit of Q20 into the vent to lubricate the offending part (sticky valve or something).

Not a train smash, unlike my rattling cubby lid on dirt - that's an irritating noise.

Rob

Post #27394917th Mar 2008 3:34 pm
Sandlover

South Africa 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Deon

I have exactly the same problem but it seemed too minor to actually complain to the dealer about it. It also only makes a noise when I start the vehicle and it seems to disappear after that. The sound seems to emanate from the left side of the vehicle.

Post #27395017th Mar 2008 3:37 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
catweasel

robharvey wrote:
Not a train smash, unlike my rattling cubby lid on dirt - that's an irritating noise.

Rob
assume you mean upper glove box, if so mine did that. the hinge pins elongate allowing it to rattle. you will go insane, get it replaced.  
Post #27397517th Mar 2008 4:32 pm
Baben

South Africa 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

My D3 developed the "Disco fart" quite some time ago. We have almost gotten used to it. LR said they would not intervene to fix it and that rattles etc. are not warranty items. I started taking the whole dash apart but gave up when I realised the offending part (the hot/cold air mixer I think) was almost impossible to get to without removing half the interior and probably causing more trouble in the process.
Luckily I don't allow strangers into my Disco, and my friends know I am sometimes a bit "wind-gat" Shocked so its not too much of an embarrasment anymore.
I know there is a post on this in the main forum somewhere, but don't remember reading about a fix. Tried the WD-40 but thus didn't help in my case.

Post #27398817th Mar 2008 4:49 pm
catweasel

Baben wrote:
rattles etc. are not warranty items.
well mine was fixed under warranty. I dont believe that for a minute. so if some part of your D3 is loose ,missing clips or not seated right then thats ok. I dont think so. Shocked  
Post #27399317th Mar 2008 4:54 pm
Baben

We have a different support setup in SA, Catweasel, so sometimes we have to accept some things we don't agree with. It isn't a big enough issue to get me round to the dealer again, and without a car for 2 days, so I just live with it. Actually, now that I mention it, I think we put up with a lot of Censored in SA compared to the rest of the world Twisted Evil

Post #27399417th Mar 2008 4:57 pm
catweasel

as stated above, my hinges (holes not pins)became elongated and it got worse (top glove box ) to a point where I was going to remove it even when on the black stuff. surely they can see stuff like that is not sposed to happen. if you had what I had, trust me it will eventually drive you nuts.

Post #27399517th Mar 2008 5:01 pm
Baben

I already have a few loose so its a bit late for anything to drive me nuts, I'm afraid

Post #27400717th Mar 2008 5:31 pm
10forcash

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

There is a fix....
LTB00103 VIN-range: 000256-450440
Quote:
A squeak/squeal noise is heard a few seconds after pressing the recirculation button on the control panel, it can also be heard when the recirculation feature operates automatically.

Cause: Due to dust contamination of the lubricating grease, the noise is generated by the movement between the two resin linkages, between the recirculation blend door actuator and motor. Suggested Customer Concern Code - C20.
NOTE: In normal circumstances a modified actuator rod (JEH 500020 and JEH 500010) will need to be installed. Should the need arise to replace the recirculation blend door actuator (JNC 500050 and JNC 500040) then the new actuator rod will already be installed, and must only be fitted if a new recirculation blend door actuator is required.

Be warned though - it's a dash out job so may cause more squeaks, sqeals and rattles than it cures....
Might be worth pointing out to the SA dealers this bit of the TSB
Quote:
Markets: All

Post #27401717th Mar 2008 5:37 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
caverD3

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Had by farting aircon fixed recently (under warranty) they have a new part to instll now and no longer requires the dash out.
This should be fixed under warranty. I'll see if I can get a new TSB and/or procedure.
 â€œThere are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games”
Ernest Hemmingway
D4 3.0 Active Diff, Adaptive Lights, High Beam Assist, Surround Cameras, Privacy Glass.
D3 2.7:Adaptive Headlights,Electronic Rear Diff,ARB Bar,Blaupunkt Speakers,JVC Powered Subwoofer,Removable Snorkel,Mitch Hitch,Pioneer After Market Head Unit,Steering Wheel Control Adaptor,Remote Adjustable Supension Rod System, Taxside Dual Battery System. 

Post #27422317th Mar 2008 10:15 pm
catweasel

10forcash wrote:

so may cause more squeaks, sqeals and rattles
I'll second that Crying or Very sad  
Post #27434218th Mar 2008 7:22 am
Desert Traveller

Australia 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Chawton WhiteDiscovery 3

I missed carverD3's post.
Posting so others who may have also missed it can get there A/C fart fixed. My stealer notified me of the fix this week when the D3 was in for some other warranty work. It has 94 k kms on the clock at 2.5 years.
 06 TDV6 SE with many LR and after-market extras. Used only on weekends and trips out west.
Audi TT Roadster (Daily and around town drive)
VW Eos TDI For Sale
Previously 01 TD5 and 94 TDI 

Post #31022414th Jun 2008 2:02 am
heine

South Africa 2009 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Alaska WhiteDiscovery 3

I also have the fart , but decided to live with it . BUUUUT could it lead to some sort of failure later on , probably one day after warranty expires ?

Post #31023314th Jun 2008 7:32 am
Kabous

South Africa 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Alaska WhiteDiscovery 4

Yep , my 07 has the same fart, in the dash that is Laughing . If it can be fixed great, I'd love to hear about it. I owned a E-class merc and had endless trouble with the hot/cold controller of the climate control, it never farted thou Confused

Post #31054815th Jun 2008 7:02 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >