DISCO3.CO.UK > Australia & New Zealand

Rear diff lock.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
rbjt

Australia 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3
Rear diff lock.

Hello,

I have been an avid reader of this forum since delivery of my new TDV6 SE in December last year. I have travelled about 8,000kms so far with no problems. This has been mostly on sealed country roads but has included a couple of short runs on a local beach.

I was intrigued by an article in a recent Overlander magazine. The columnist was critical of LRA's decision to not fit rear diff locks as standard in this country. He indicated the off-road potential of LR vehicles was significantly limited as a result.

I have since read several threads related to this topic and am curious about recent opinions/experiences people may have on the relative advantage they offer?

I did not select this option for my car however based on what I have read so far, am starting to wish I had. I am not likely to do a great deal of off-road driving but that said, I really don't want to get stuck in deep sand knowing in the back of my mind a $1500 option could have been the difference between driving out or being towed! I understand experience and driving style are very important but am just talking about the capability of the vehicle.

What options are available to retro-fit the LR rear diff-lock? Is an aftermarket diff-lock a good option?

On the topic of beach driving, what would be the best tyres for my 18" wheels to match the usage I've mentioned above. I wouldn't say money is no object, however I'm prepared to pay up front to avoid future embarrassment.

Any thoughts, comments or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,
Ryan.

Post #27381817th Mar 2008 8:13 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
catweasel

welcome to the forum. non factory and aftermarket diff locks not an option I'm afraid but from those who have driven both seem to think that they both will get you to where you want to go just that one does it easier than the other. the offroad potential is not limited and the columnist is a Censored . I'm definitely no expert but would say momentum, tyre pressures and technique are far more important on sand. cooper ht+ I would think would suit as I'm told an aggresive treads bites into the sand where flotation is more preferable and they are good onroad too.

Off Topic have you noticed this thread by any chance http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/topic19277.html

Post #27383017th Mar 2008 9:46 am
ianv

Australia 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Remember you've got a centre diff lock and traction control standard.

On sand I've run my cooper ST's as low as 8lb front 10lb rear. The grip is substantial. I do have a rear diff lock but it has been more useful in deep mud and loose rocky climbs. HT's would be ok as well. The original wranglers were actually quite good on loose sand when lowered, watch the sidewalls though.

Turn the DSC of in difficult sand as well, run the suspension up to avoid dragging on high spots.

Have a play, go onto sand with 36-40 pounds in the tyres and you will get stuck in the first soft patch. Drop them straight down to 18 or 20, clear loose sand from wheels and you will probably drive straight out.

Remeber to travel with a compressor.

All the best

Ianv
 TDV6  
Post #27383417th Mar 2008 10:21 am
TDMP

Australia 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Rimini RedDiscovery 3
Re: Rear diff lock.

what he said...

rbjt wrote:
Hello, a $1500 option could have been the difference between driving out or being towed!

I thought I only paid $1,000, just over a year ago - I now see why the RBA is worried about inflation!

Welcome to the forum Ryan.
 Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent.
Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent.
Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil?
Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?
(Epicurus BC 341-270) 

Post #27384017th Mar 2008 11:04 am
MarkTaylor

Australia 2006 Discovery 3 4.0 V6 Petrol SE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

When Overlander magazine tested the then new Pajero, they found that on long loose rocky climbs, the car performed better with the diff lock off and the TC doing all the work. (The TC turns off when the diff lock is engaged)

Cheers

MT
 Nothing of any value is ever achieved without some sacrifice.  
Post #27384517th Mar 2008 11:21 am
Jamo

Australia 

I've got the rear diff lock, but it won't necessarily help you in deep sand. I've been bellied out on the sand and the only thing that's helped has been the shovel!

I agree with the others. Tyre pressures are the most important thing.

If the journo said that the off road potential of the D3 is limited without the rear lock, then he should go back to New Idea or wherever he came from and leave the motoring writing to those who know what they're talking about!
 Have a nice day!
2010 Cayenne Diesel with PASM & Off Road Pkg
2005 HSE D3 (Sold) 

Last edited by Jamo on 17th Mar 2008 12:57 pm. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #27387517th Mar 2008 12:26 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Desert Traveller

Australia 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Chawton WhiteDiscovery 3

The Pajero has a weird system. Rear diff lock is switched off when using TC whereas the D3 etc use TC inconjunction with the diff lock. The journo was correct.
 06 TDV6 SE with many LR and after-market extras. Used only on weekends and trips out west.
Audi TT Roadster (Daily and around town drive)
VW Eos TDI For Sale
Previously 01 TD5 and 94 TDI 

Post #27388417th Mar 2008 12:43 pm
rbjt

Australia 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Thanks for the great feedback everyone!

It seems there is still some conjecture as to the ultimate usefulness of the rear lock (although for $1,000 - $1,500 I tend to think it's best to have it than not!) I'll be sure to check the options more carefully next time!

If anyone has any specific examples (maybe travelling off-road in convoy with one D3 with rear lock and one without) I would be very interested to hear your thoughts!

Thanks for the tip on the tyres, I'll check out the Coopers when replacing my Wranglers. Are there any other brands/models I should consider for a mix of road/sand driving?

Is there any other aftermarket equipment you would recommend to improve the overall capability of the car (which I am already very happy with by the way!)

Thanks again,
Ryan.

Post #27434018th Mar 2008 6:43 am
catweasel

long range tank & RWC

Post #27434318th Mar 2008 7:33 am
ianv

Australia 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Make sure you get LT carcass coopers only, the 10 ply rated tyres have 1100kg load rating, other models have a lower rating over the minimum but I have heard people complaining. Fully loaded with fuel, water and desert gear my vehicle had 2000kg on the back axle and 1600 on the front. Stadard tyres would have been over loaded. Size I use is LT245/70/17.

Long range tank is very useful
 TDV6  
Post #27440118th Mar 2008 10:25 am
TDMP

Australia 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Rimini RedDiscovery 3

rbjt wrote:
Thanks for the tip on the tyres, I'll check out the Coopers when replacing my Wranglers. Are there any other brands/models I should consider for a mix of road/sand driving?

Whilst we all bitch about the wranglers (including me) in hindsight, mine have not been too bad. I will end up getting about 60-65k from them, they handle well on road and tackle basic off road with ease (and did very well in the sand). I had a side wall staking - but that can happen to any tire. just my 2 cents.

rbjt wrote:
Is there any other aftermarket equipment you would recommend to improve the overall capability of the car (which I am already very happy with by the way!)

A good tyre deflator and good air compressor.

Regards,
 Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent.
Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent.
Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil?
Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?
(Epicurus BC 341-270) 

Post #27444618th Mar 2008 11:59 am
simon_arch1

Australia 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

what he said, what he said, and what he said...

diff lock - a nice to have, if you can wait for it and afford it... I wish I had, but probably not for sand, more for mud and really steep loose stuff - BUT - I have been so happy with the D3's ability to take us anywhere, using traction control, CDL, the right tyre pressures and good technique.

re tyres - aggressive is not necess best in sand, but is not necess a hindrance either - driven properly at the right (low) pressures, I've seen SIMEX jungle trekkers do well in sand.

all the best

Simon
 D3 - Buckingham Blue, SE, TDV6, 06 model; chipped; underbody armour; Mickey Thompson ATZ 275/65-18 AND MAXXIS Bighorn muddies; rear wheel carrier from 4x4intelligence.com; iPOD aux connection! GME 3200 UHF - aerial mounted on wheel carrier Smile; LR roof rails/cross bars; Autosafe cargo barrier, Safari Snorkel; Traxide - aux battery; ARB bull bar with Tigerz11 winch; Lightforce 240 XGT driving lights (mitchell bros tow hitch to come)  
Post #27453318th Mar 2008 1:57 pm
davo

Australia 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Chawton WhiteDiscovery 3

hi rdjt,

With my work I take new D3 owners out to the blue mountains for an intro drive day. We get them all FFRR, RRsports, D3 in all configs.
I drive a D3 TDV6 with rear diff and AT2's. What is apparent is the rear diff kicks in seemlessly and there is less intervention by the traction control. The rear diff RRsport and D3's just make less of fuss on the hill climbs in particular. The cars without (rear Diff) still get up with ease but need a little more help from the computer. My D3 with the AT2's and rear diff just goes up things like I am on the driveway at home (too Easy at times). The AT tyres add an incredible amount to the traction equation.

The comments about the sand are all spot on. I have been on Stockton Beach with 12 D3's of all configs It is a question of tyre pressures as mentioned, driver skill and turning off the DSC. We had only one bog and that was a belly out. The driver went where he was asked not to go. It was one of those giant ant lion like pits where the wind votrexs around. Hmmm
It is very impressive to see a FFRR Vogue climb a rutty hill. Even the dirt bikes stop to watch. It's like how can something that expensive do something that radical. Try that X5, Cayanne, Toureg.

Post #27545820th Mar 2008 12:41 am
White Disco

Australia 

Jamo wrote:

If the journo said that the off road potential of the D3 is limited without the rear lock, then he should go back to New Idea or wherever he came from and leave the motoring writing to those who know what they're talking about!

Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Bow down Bow down Bow down Rolling with laughter Thumbs Up
 Did you think I would leave you crying,
When there's room in my D3 for 7,
Climb in here Joe we'll soon be flying,
I can go just as fast with 7.

2005 TDV6 S with Terrain Response (& all that entails), Tasmods (gorn). 2008 TDV6 HSE (gone). A Dark Side umbrella (here) & car (here).

Volkswagen Golf (SWMBO's)
Datsun Insult (SWTSMBOBIO22SHOMSAH)
Datsun Insult (SWTSMBOBIO19SHOMSAH)

4 BMW's (Stents, not the silly cars)

Formerly RED DISCO 

Post #27546120th Mar 2008 1:00 am
White Disco

Australia 

On this:
http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/topic9195.html 12 months ago. If any body did not have a locking rear diff, We didn't really notice it. All climbed and descended some torturous tracks with ease (gulp), even in 17" OEM Wranglers. Razz Wink
 Did you think I would leave you crying,
When there's room in my D3 for 7,
Climb in here Joe we'll soon be flying,
I can go just as fast with 7.

2005 TDV6 S with Terrain Response (& all that entails), Tasmods (gorn). 2008 TDV6 HSE (gone). A Dark Side umbrella (here) & car (here).

Volkswagen Golf (SWMBO's)
Datsun Insult (SWTSMBOBIO22SHOMSAH)
Datsun Insult (SWTSMBOBIO19SHOMSAH)

4 BMW's (Stents, not the silly cars)

Formerly RED DISCO 

Post #27546320th Mar 2008 1:10 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >