DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

what should i do next
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
shawn

England 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Bali BlueDiscovery 4
what should i do next

hi all

well my vehicle has been into the dealer AGAIN for 3 days this week. this is the 6th time they have had it for the same fault. fault being my phone kit does not work properly and my voice activation does not do anything i ask it to do. eg if i ask it to tune a radio station it says golf course Shocked and other comands it just says command not reconised.

now the problem i am faced with is the service manager is a really nice chap and very very apologetic BUT i am getting very fed up of being without my car it is a 55 plate collected end sept and it has been in the dealers for a total of 12 days now and its still the same. well actually its worse because before they touched it at least my phone kit worked now it don't Crying or Very sad .

what is my next course of action i don't want to fall out with the dealer but i get the feeling that because i am being so understanding they don't give a Censored

what would you lot do

cheers shawn
 bali blue disco 4 with rear dvd's, privacy glass, pre heat system, heated steering wheel, full size spare, piano black trim, ipod cable, 20 inch wheels and i love it loads more than my TDV8 RRS, KTM 250 EXC 2 Stroke for the real off road stuff  
Post #2847218th Nov 2005 8:14 pm
Cliff H

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Start mentioning rejecting the car to them.
They will probably say it does not warrant rejection but it may bring on some more in depth investigation.

Or they may say "what colour do you want"! Laughing
 Zermatt silver 06 reg.

Gone but not forgotten !!! 

Last edited by Cliff H on 19th Nov 2005 12:21 am. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #2847418th Nov 2005 8:18 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Pelyma

England 

I would say your voice activation is set up wrong - what voice speaks to you - male or female?
 DS3 TDV6 HSE - Silver with Alpaca (old one) Gone
DS3 TDV6 HSE- Silver with Alpaca (new one) Gone
D4 HSE Lux - Montalcino Red Gone
Porsche Cayenne V8 Diesel S 

Post #2849218th Nov 2005 9:29 pm
BN

England 
Re: what should i do next

shawn wrote:
hi all

well my vehicle has been into the dealer AGAIN for 3 days this week. this is the 6th time they have had it for the same fault. fault being my phone kit does not work properly and my voice activation does not do anything i ask it to do. eg if i ask it to tune a radio station it says golf course Shocked and other comands it just says command not reconised.

now the problem i am faced with is the service manager is a really nice chap and very very apologetic BUT i am getting very fed up of being without my car it is a 55 plate collected end sept and it has been in the dealers for a total of 12 days now and its still the same. well actually its worse because before they touched it at least my phone kit worked now it don't Crying or Very sad .

what is my next course of action i don't want to fall out with the dealer but i get the feeling that because i am being so understanding they don't give a Censored

what would you lot do

cheers shawn

The best way is to say that the very next fault will be a rejection and put it in writing now. There is nothing worse than having a car and pathetic excuses as to why it is not repaired. You have paid a lot of money for a valuable car and it is not in your possession and it should be. If you had bought a Skoda, it would be working fine at a quarter of the price.

The reality is that the car should not have to go to the dealers until it has covered 15000 miles, on or off road. Yours like both of mine has clearly failed. My service manager is REALLY nice, but he did NOT buy the car, I did.

Letter to them now that ONE more fault and it is a rejection.

Hope that helps.

Post #2849318th Nov 2005 9:31 pm
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

Pelyma wrote:
I would say your voice activation is set up wrong - what voice speaks to you - male or female?

Mine was crap until I changed it to English Female! The default is American male. The English Female sounds very pleasant, I would like to meet her Wink

Seriously though, it works far more reliably with the english fem voice setting, its not perfect everytime but mostly it works.

I ahve not got phone kit so cannot comment.

Post #2849518th Nov 2005 9:35 pm
shawn

i have had various different voices each time it comes back, but they are all crap and don't work. i have had 3 diffrerent voice control boxes loads and loads of soft wear upgrades and its still the same NOT WORKING.

the dealer who is trying to rectify the fault is not the dealer i bought it of will this make a difference to rejecting the car.

cheers shawn
 bali blue disco 4 with rear dvd's, privacy glass, pre heat system, heated steering wheel, full size spare, piano black trim, ipod cable, 20 inch wheels and i love it loads more than my TDV8 RRS, KTM 250 EXC 2 Stroke for the real off road stuff  
Post #2850719th Nov 2005 12:16 am
BN

England 

shawn wrote:
i have had various different voices each time it comes back, but they are all crap and don't work. i have had 3 diffrerent voice control boxes loads and loads of soft wear upgrades and its still the same NOT WORKING.

the dealer who is trying to rectify the fault is not the dealer i bought it of will this make a difference to rejecting the car.

cheers shawn

You can only reject the car to the dealer you purchased it from. It is a customer retailer situation.

Post #2851319th Nov 2005 10:06 am
irf

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

It may be that this is old news and you/ the dealers have ruled the following out but as far as I can make out there is only one voice that is designed to recognise an English accent (on my2006MY anyway) and that is UK female.

As Gareth says, the default is US Male but although he has a very English accent he isn't very accurate in recognising commands spoken in an English accent.

The fact that you say it has come back with different voices suggests that it is not always set up as UK.

Changing mine from US male to UK female transformed the accuracy.

Also, becoming more confident in the system and therefore speaking more naturally has improved the performance. It's worse when you raise your voice.

I've also found it's easy slip into using incorrect phrases such as "Play CD" rather that "CD play" and then blame the sytem.

You could also record a "note" or a "custom name" and then play it back to see how the audio sounds. This will give you an idea of how well the microphone is working. Mine is very sensitive but sounds "thin", which is probably what it is supposed to do to suppress extraneous noise.

Apologies if I'm stating the obvious and you've already eliminated these points.

Post #2851619th Nov 2005 10:57 am
shawn

irf wrote:
It may be that this is old news and you/ the dealers have ruled the following out but as far as I can make out there is only one voice that is designed to recognise an English accent (on my2006MY anyway) and that is UK female.

As Gareth says, the default is US Male but although he has a very English accent he isn't very accurate in recognising commands spoken in an English accent.

The fact that you say it has come back with different voices suggests that it is not always set up as UK.

Changing mine from US male to UK female transformed the accuracy.

Also, becoming more confident in the system and therefore speaking more naturally has improved the performance. It's worse when you raise your voice.

I've also found it's easy slip into using incorrect phrases such as "Play CD" rather that "CD play" and then blame the sytem.

You could also record a "note" or a "custom name" and then play it back to see how the audio sounds. This will give you an idea of how well the microphone is working. Mine is very sensitive but sounds "thin", which is probably what it is supposed to do to suppress extraneous noise.

Apologies if I'm stating the obvious and you've already eliminated these points.

hi irf

thanks for the comments but i am unable to change my voice from male to female i do not have the option on my commands we have tried this before i took it to the dealer only the advanced version can change it mine must be standard do you have a hse model

cheers shawn
Post #2851919th Nov 2005 12:57 pm
irf

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

yes, 2006 HSE

Post #2852419th Nov 2005 3:14 pm
shawn

irf wrote:
yes, 2006 HSE

yes i thought so you must have the advanced version this is why you can change your voice i am stuck with what i have

cheers shawn
Post #2853519th Nov 2005 8:00 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >