DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

Antenna Installation
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Mossy

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3
Antenna Installation

Help and suggestions invited Idea

Should I ever get it back from the dealers, I need to fit an antenna to my D3 – a HF/VHF/UHF auto tuning system, which is quite heavy. I’ve searched a few posts regarding installation suggestions and would like if possible a non-invasive method (i.e. no drilling of the visual bodywork). I have seen a few ‘through the front grill’ installs (Freeflytim I think posted a good link) which looks promising (bespoke bracket and all that), but it would need to have a good grounding in order to work effectively (which is not so important UHF), and be sufficiently robust to secure the antenna when driving.

Has anybody tried any other types of installation or aware of any brackets, of-the-shelf, that may be suitable Question
 D3 HSE V8...  
Post #2807215th Nov 2005 5:29 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Slimer
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

I'm intending to put a CB in mine at some point, going to get the G4 ladder (when it finally comes out) and use a mirror mount or similar clamped to that for the aerial
 The End  
Post #2808815th Nov 2005 7:47 pm
Mossy

Not a bad idea, but like you say, "when it finally comes out". Through where were you planning on threading the cable?

Do you know how the ladder will fix to the car? On my old Disco II, I fitted the antenna inbetween the spare wheel and the rear door - direct metal contact which helped with the grounding of the antenna and protected it from green lane debris. The cable was threaded through the water hose on the rear wiper and through the rear door. Pretty much 100% waterproof too.

Thanks for the suggestion.
 D3 HSE V8...  
Post #2809415th Nov 2005 8:15 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Slimer
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

Have a look on the OwnerInfo site for fitting instructions, looks simple enough. I was thinking of running the cable in with the high level brake light feed though must admit I haven't looked at this closely yet. I'm sure somewhere suitable can be found
 The End  
Post #2810015th Nov 2005 8:32 pm
Mossy

Will do.

Now you've got me thinking. There is available a ready-made cable called the W-3CK Watson Mobile Aerial Cable Kit. It's 5m 5D-FB low loss mobile cable cable with SO-239 and PL-259 plug (CB connector). It has a a 30cm thin PTFE pigtail for door jam, but I reckon you could feed this (its only about 3 mm diam) through the high level break light with less problems than standard coax. It is suitable for CBs as well as other radios.

If you're planning on "CBing" only you can buy an induction through-the-glass antenna. Bit like a mobile phone antenna yet bigger. Sticks to the glass via a super strong adhesive, and inside the car you match it up with the induction coil and cable, which you can hide relatively easy behind the trim. Think it's made by a company called Avannti, but dont hold me to this. It's not the best antenna in the world, so you wont break any records for distance communication, but easily good enough for car-to-car and beyond.
 D3 HSE V8...  
Post #2810215th Nov 2005 8:59 pm
Slimer
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

I've had experience of the through-the-glass ones before, I'd rather not use one again if I can help it Wink

That cable sounds good, long enough too, can you send me details of where I can get one should it be what I need.

The other place it could be run it down the side of the rear hatch and in through the back of one of the rear lights. If you remove the plastic cover half way down there should be room to feed the cable in, again I haven't checked but there is room behind the light for fitting the towbar electrics so one more cable shouldn't be an issue
 The End  
Post #2810515th Nov 2005 9:08 pm
Mossy

Slimer,

The antenna cable kit is available from Waters & Stanton (www.wsplc.com).

Search for "Watson Mobile Aerial Cable Kit". Although it states VHF / UHF its fine for 27 MHz. It's £14.95.

Can't comment on the through-the-glass myself as I only know of them and have not used one. I do know they're not that effective and you get into issues such as how far from the metal frame they have to fixed to work properly etc. For CB I can imagine they're pretty healthy in size and weight too.

Dont tell me yours failed and took the window too?
 D3 HSE V8...  
Post #2812815th Nov 2005 10:08 pm
Slimer
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

Mossy wrote:
Dont tell me yours failed and took the window too?
Nah, mate of mine had one, we spent ages trying to get performing well (gave up and binned it in the end), receive was okay but transmit was useless, he dropped off the radar if you got over half a mile away. The End  
Post #2813115th Nov 2005 10:14 pm
Mossy

There's always damp string Laughing
 D3 HSE V8...  
Post #2813415th Nov 2005 10:19 pm
Slimer
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

Been there....
 The End  
Post #2813615th Nov 2005 10:21 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >