Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

Start up failures
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Smarticus

2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Ipanema SandDiscovery 4
Start up failures

3 times now I have experienced a "system failure" when all warning systems light up in turn and the vehicle defaults to limp home mode. The circumstances have always been the same - which are when starting the vehicle first thing in the morning then setting off down the road. Failure starts within seconds and seems to create a chain reaction of system failures. This has always occured first thing in the morning, in wet / icey conditions when, on starting the vehicle, a number of things are immediately switched on (such as lights, wipers, screen heater etc). The fix is simply to switch her off, count to 10, then start again.

Should I be worried ?
 Disco 4 TDV6HSE
Defender 200TDi CSW
RR Evoque 

Post #691st Jan 2005 8:27 pm
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

The Land Rover technician who recovered my D3 after the suspension warning came on told me that quite a few of the early build models are suffering from bad earth connections in several places, and that these are causing spurious electronic related problems. It also seems that the LR assistance mechanics have not yet been given the diagnostic computer to fix these problems.

Unfortunately for me, my car is stuck at the dealer until tomorrow, when they re-open after christmas, and I am currently driving around in a Mondeo provided by LR assistance.

I have had other errors on the display at various times, such as Park Brake fault. Most of which clear after a restart. My suspension error was "Air Suspension failure - drive below 30mph", but this would not reset, and the car raised into off road height all by itself and would not come down, hence the call LR assistance.

If I were you, I would get the dealer to sort it quick, or you too could be driving a Mondeo!

Post #723rd Jan 2005 5:14 pm
simon

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Gareth wrote:
My suspension error was "Air Suspension failure - drive below 30mph", but this would not reset, and the car raised into off road height all by itself and would not come down, hence the call LR assistance.

Had the same thing. Dealer found the fault at the ECU end with a bad connection. System resets would not work so LR had to help dealer diagnose over the phone after seeing the diagnostic numbers out of their test gear. All seems fixed now.

Post #14011th Jan 2005 12:53 pm
Smarticus

2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Ipanema SandDiscovery 4

Finally had my dealer look at this. He tells me that the source of my problem is probably "low voltage". Apparently the electrics are very very voltage sensitive, and if the voltage drops below a certain threshold they go AWOL. On a cold morning, (after a long cold night), with lots of electric hungry accessories on from start up (such as screens, seats, radio, wipers and lights) the battery doesn't pump out quite enough voltage and the ECU trips over itself. I am not too impressed that the battery is apparently not up to it and the electrics are so precious ......
 Disco 4 TDV6HSE
Defender 200TDi CSW
RR Evoque 

Post #142413th Mar 2005 12:38 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >