Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Finance, Insurance and Warranties

RAC refused to recover my car because it’s on SORN
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
NC500

Scotland 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Firenze RedDiscovery 4
RAC refused to recover my car because it’s on SORN

I sorned the truck for lockdown and it sat in the drive for three months with the battery on trickle charge. Yesterday I fired up the beast and went to drive it up and down the drive but the EPB had seized and began screeching.

I have a warranty with WD and full RAC cover so no worries - or so I thought. Local RAC representative came out and agreed with my diagnosis and called in to RAC control to seek authorisation for recovery to Inverness dealership only to be told that as my truck was sorned, it couldn’t be recovered as technically my car was ‘not roadworthy’.

I was not impressed so called RAC myself only to be told the same story. I pointing out we have been in a national lockdown due to C19 for 3 months and that sorning a car for the duration was not unreasonable.

Eventually, after pointing out that I have been a customer of RAC for 20 years they agreed that if I taxed my car immediately (and provided proof), they would ship the car to Inverness.

What a joke!

Last edited by NC500 on 8th Jul 2020 8:16 pm. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #21597628th Jul 2020 6:42 pm
Oxford-boy

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XXV LE Auto Causeway GreyDiscovery 4

I wouldn't be giving the RAC a 23rd year of my business for that response....

Do you ever play the annual renewal off against the AA price?

How does 22 years loyal membership translate into price?

Interested..

Post #21597838th Jul 2020 8:03 pm
al cope

England 

what do the T&C's of your contract with RAC say?

Al
 Volvo XC90 B5 Plus Dark
Gone - MY18 D5 HSE - Corris on 22's with Black Pack
Now gone - MY16 D4 SE Tech, Loire Blue, Almond Leather, Privacy, plus some other goodies.
Old - MY12 D4 SDV6 XS Auto - Ipanema Sand with Almond Leather - Plus other niceties, and D4.com sticker
Older - D3 TDV6 XS Auto - Lugano Teal with Almond Leather, 20" Stormers, Shiny Tailpipes, DVD/TV - and obligatory D3 sticker
Ancient - D3 TDV6 S - Tonga with Ebony, 20" Stormers, satnav & DVD 

Post #21598699th Jul 2020 7:12 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Farmer Chalk

England 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Tangiers OrangeDiscovery 3

In fairness I can totally see RAC’s policy is fair... in normal circumstances would you ever expect the RAC to recover vehicles that are off road... where would it end? My barnfind 20 yr old MG won’t start.... my Discovery D3 rebuild is kaput....would you expect RAC to deal with this? The problem is people have taken the Censored over the years and abused their service...this is why they added the caveat...

Once you explained the circumstances relating to an enforced Covid lay down they understood and relented... I think that’s fair.. Very Happy

Post #21598729th Jul 2020 7:20 am
DSL
Keeper of the wheelie bin 

Ukraine 

Would prob just say “must be “roadworthy”“ then that depends on their definition of roadworthy. Interesting they even looked to see the car tax state of the car, obviously looking for a get out of jail card. Confused

Post #21598739th Jul 2020 7:21 am
Trailered Movements

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Commercial Auto Sumatra BlackDiscovery 4

Just because it's SORN'd, doesn't mean it's not roadworthy, what utter rubbish.
I've just unsorn'd my SAAB, which was insured and had an MOT, so as soon as I had taxed it, it could legally be used on the road, however it had always remained fit for the road whilst under SORN.

Dave
 2011 Discovery 4 Commercial SDV6 (Gone)
2010 RRS TDV8 (Gone)
1980 OBLIC 4.0ltr Range Rover (went a long time ago) 

Post #21598769th Jul 2020 7:36 am
Discoveringcomfort

England 2005 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Farmer Chalk wrote:
In fairness I can totally see RAC’s policy is fair... in normal circumstances would you ever expect the RAC to recover vehicles that are off road... where would it end? My barnfind 20 yr old MG won’t start.... my Discovery D3 rebuild is kaput....would you expect RAC to deal with this? The problem is people have taken the Censored over the years and abused their service...this is why they added the caveat...

Once you explained the circumstances relating to an enforced Covid lay down they understood and relented... I think that’s fair.. Very Happy

The only reason I went to the RAC was because of the off road cover (motorsort) recovery.
 Series 1 V8
Series 2 Hibrid V8
Discovery 3 HSE V8 

Post #21598809th Jul 2020 7:59 am
adam

United Kingdom 

Trailered Movements wrote:
Just because it's SORN'd, doesn't mean it's not roadworthy, what utter rubbish.
I've just unsorn'd my SAAB, which was insured and had an MOT, so as soon as I had taxed it, it could legally be used on the road, however it had always remained fit for the road whilst under SORN.

Dave

How would a third party know the reason why it was SORN’d?
 Now Golf GTI PP, 7 speed DSG.
Ex D3 and D4 

Post #21598819th Jul 2020 8:02 am
Trailered Movements

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Commercial Auto Sumatra BlackDiscovery 4

Anyone can do a simple check via the DVLA website to see the tax status of a vehicle, and as said before, they were looking for a get out clause.

Dave
2010 RRS TDV8 (Gone)

Post #21599019th Jul 2020 9:04 am
adam

United Kingdom 

Fully aware of the website - doesn’t explain to a third party why it was SORN’d. Depends on what the contract T&C’s state as to what the rescue company will or won’t do and goodwill if disputed.
Ex D3 and D4 

Post #21599149th Jul 2020 10:09 am
J@mes

England 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

I'd imagine it's a blanket policy so that they don't end up towing cars on A frames that technically aren't allowed to be on the road.

Obviously the Disco would be lifted on a flatbed, but for ease they make it a blanket rule.

As for "if its sorn, it doesnt mean its not roadworthy"

Well, I'd imagine in the eyes of the law it does - same as an uninsured or un-MOT'd or un registered vehicle is not roadworthy either. Confused
 2014 D4 XS
2005 D3 SE - Gone 

Post #21599179th Jul 2020 10:19 am
Trailered Movements

You're confusing the term 'unroadworthy' with 'road legal', 2 different phrases which could be, but do not mean, the same.

As an example, I SORN'd one of my trucks and during this time the MOT expired, I then used trade plates to take it for a test. Under your definition it was unroadworthy, however it complied with the law and was considered both roadworthy and legal. It passed its MOT.

Dave
2010 RRS TDV8 (Gone)

Post #21599199th Jul 2020 10:31 am
adam

United Kingdom 

Understand what you are saying, but the issue was the RAC refusing to flat bed the vehicle as it was on a SORN. Thats a commercial / contractual condition based on the T&C’s in the Agreement. Looks like common sense and goodwill prevailed in this instance, but I don’t think you can expect a Rescue company to automatically recover a SORN vehicle as they have no idea as to the reasons it was taken off the road in the first place.
Ex D3 and D4 

Post #21599229th Jul 2020 10:47 am
Farmer Chalk

England 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Tangiers OrangeDiscovery 3

Discoveringcomfort wrote:
Farmer Chalk wrote:

The only reason I went to the RAC was because of the off road cover (motorsort) recovery.

Perhaps I used the wrong expression when saying off road...I should have said Sorned or even taxed and insured...I think that is why the RAC ordinarily applied this caveat... to stop people abusing their recovery collection service which generally would be for the average motorist who had broken down....and not for the recovery of a vehicle which had been laid up for whatever reason.

Post #21599769th Jul 2020 1:43 pm
Washwipe

England 

We’ve got a RAC policy, be it a business one, pretty sure in the small print it states must be taxed and insured, can’t remember the exact wording.

Post #21600289th Jul 2020 6:24 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >