Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Australia & New Zealand

Broken Opposite Lock Rear Wheel Carrier
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
IanR

Australia 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Chawton WhiteDiscovery 3
Broken Opposite Lock Rear Wheel Carrier

Whilst having a bracket for an HF antenna attach to the carrier we noticed broken welds. Only 7 months old with one trip up Goog's Track and Gammon Ranges - not great longevity.

OL want me to make a 4 hour round trip so dealer can have look at the carrier. Then another trip to replace, if that is what they decide!

Think I might just get the local steel bloke (who was doing the bracket) to patch the thing up

Anyone else with broken rear wheel carriers?

Have a look at these photos - not sure how to make them appear here!

'S' TDV6, Air suspension, Terrain Response, Active rear diff, Safari Snorkel, Opposite Lock rear wheel carrier, OL drawer system, Cargo Barrier, Dual batteries with Rotronics isolator, GME 3440 UHF. Codan NGT HF, Asus UMPC running TrackRanger. Cooper LT245/70R17 STTs when off-road. Tow Ultimate off-road camper.  
Post #26170620th Feb 2008 4:37 am
norto

Australia 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Chawton WhiteDiscovery 3

Off Topic
Ian
Good photos in your gallery.
Bendethra is my home ground......
How did you go on Googs.... sand etc
 Pete  
Post #26171420th Feb 2008 7:10 am
caverD3

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Not broken at the weld by the looks of it.
It has split where the steel has been bent.
They would have taken a wedge out of the RHS and bent it before welding the edges if the wedge hole together.
The bending would have thinned and weakened the steel at this point. Would be better to cut and weld or use a thicker walled RHS, IMHO.
 â€œThere are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games”
Ernest Hemmingway
D4 3.0 Active Diff, Adaptive Lights, High Beam Assist, Surround Cameras, Privacy Glass.
D3 2.7:Adaptive Headlights,Electronic Rear Diff,ARB Bar,Blaupunkt Speakers,JVC Powered Subwoofer,Removable Snorkel,Mitch Hitch,Pioneer After Market Head Unit,Steering Wheel Control Adaptor,Remote Adjustable Supension Rod System, Taxside Dual Battery System. 

Post #26171820th Feb 2008 7:39 am
simon_arch1

Australia 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

Can't help it ... sorry... - should have bought a quality 4x4intelligence carrier instead Wink

Seriously - I hope it repairs OK and gives you many happy miles of carrying...

cheers,

Simon
 D3 - Buckingham Blue, SE, TDV6, 06 model; chipped; underbody armour; Mickey Thompson ATZ 275/65-18 AND MAXXIS Bighorn muddies; rear wheel carrier from 4x4intelligence.com; iPOD aux connection! GME 3200 UHF - aerial mounted on wheel carrier Smile; LR roof rails/cross bars; Autosafe cargo barrier, Safari Snorkel; Traxide - aux battery; ARB bull bar with Tigerz11 winch; Lightforce 240 XGT driving lights (mitchell bros tow hitch to come)  
Post #26172220th Feb 2008 8:10 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Slimer
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

Images fixed Wink
 The End  
Post #26175520th Feb 2008 9:52 am
catweasel

why make a trip, I'm sure the pics should suffice to them and if not get them to pay for postage back to them.

Post #26180020th Feb 2008 12:16 pm
IanR

Quote:
Bendethra is my home ground......
How did you go on Googs.... sand etc

All D3 people should visit Bendethra - Great place (even in depths of winter!)

Googs was another must do. No dramas towing the trailer, even with the OE plough hitch receiver. Will have the Mitchell Bros receiver when we cross the Simpson (from east to west) in April. Tyre pressures and momentum (not outright speed) seem to be the key.

Quote:
Not broken at the weld by the looks of it.
It has split where the steel has been bent.

Had a closer look - you seem to be spot on

Quote:
Can't help it ... sorry... - should have bought a quality 4x4intelligence carrier instead

Was going to go the 4x4I way but it was easier to get the carrier, drawer system, cargo barrier, dual batteries, fridge and UHF all at the one place. Not sure I made the wise decision! (after spending all that money with them they should be nice to me)

Quote:
why make a trip, I'm sure the pics should suffice to them and if not get them to pay for postage back to them.

Got an email from OL today. After looking at the photos the have decided to replace the carrier. Means just one trip down and back.
 'S' TDV6, Air suspension, Terrain Response, Active rear diff, Safari Snorkel, Opposite Lock rear wheel carrier, OL drawer system, Cargo Barrier, Dual batteries with Rotronics isolator, GME 3440 UHF. Codan NGT HF, Asus UMPC running TrackRanger. Cooper LT245/70R17 STTs when off-road. Tow Ultimate off-road camper.  
Post #26219221st Feb 2008 10:26 am
allanj

Australia 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 GS Auto Chawton WhiteDiscovery 3

Has the new one been built the same way?

With things like this that are mass produced they are all nice and identical.

Unless some improvments have been made it might only be another two trips and you need to take more pics

Post #26328523rd Feb 2008 11:12 am
IanR

OL assure me that they have not had problems with any other bars - I remain to be convinced!
Post #26328923rd Feb 2008 11:29 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >