Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

Has anyone fitted their own side steps?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Cliff H

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3
Has anyone fitted their own side steps?

Has anyone fitted their own side steps and if so are they tricky?
I am having difficulty downloading the instructions from the LR site for some reason.
With my TD4 I got the dealer to fit them as you needed a 'riv nut expander' (they actually forgot to charge me Laughing )
Any help would be appreciated!
 Zermatt silver 06 reg.

Gone but not forgotten !!! 

Post #2761912th Nov 2005 1:19 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
DrLex

Iceland 

Strange you should ask; I've just finished fitting a pair this morning.
The job is not hard - I'm not a very practical person - the first took me 2 hours, the second was just 40 minutes.
I did have the benefit of doing it with a 3t lift, air line and tools - I'm not sure I would like to have done it on a driveway with twin jacks.
Hardest part? Cutting out the (marked) pieces on the cill trim for the angle iron pieces - three on each side and then filing them smooth.
If you want to discuss it, pm me.

Annoyingly enough, I noticed that yesterday, some b*gg*r has put a small dent on one of my door panels with a door edge. Had I had these steps last week, it would have been a scuff on them instead. Ah well, wasn't going to remain perfect for ever...
 Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana

Member of Club Med Sucks 

Post #2762512th Nov 2005 4:38 pm
robbi

Guernsey 

DrLex wrote:
Annoyingly enough, I noticed that yesterday, some b*gg*r has put a small dent on one of my door panels with a door edge. Had I had these steps last week, it would have been a scuff on them instead. Ah well, wasn't going to remain perfect for ever...

I am having side mouldings fitted to my RRS but also wondering whether to get side steps for the sole purpose of stopping door dents. My current car has at least 4 Evil or Very Mad people have no respect or care for other peoples property.

I appreciate the different body space of D3 and RRS but wondered whether they would actually stop door dents since it would depend on the door shape of the other car, or not??
 08 Sport TDV8  
Post #356072nd Jan 2006 7:41 pm
WOODY179

United Kingdom 

robbi wrote:

I am having side mouldings fitted to my RRS but also wondering whether to get side steps for the sole purpose of stopping door dents. My current car has at least 4 Evil or Very Mad people have no respect or care for other peoples property.

I appreciate the different body space of D3 and RRS but wondered whether they would actually stop door dents since it would depend on the door shape of the other car, or not??

I have both the rubbing strips and the side steps and I believe that they will protect the doors from being dented by most cars. I also leave my car in off road height when in car parks as this almost guarantees that the side step will take the impact if someone opens their door into my car.
 1996 Discovery 1 300TDI ES Biarritz Blue, sold
1999 Discovery 2 TD5 ES Rioja Red, sold
2002 Discovery 2 TD5 ES Buckingham Blue, sold
2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Adriatic Blue, sold
2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Zambezi Silver, sold
2011 Discovery 4 SDV6 HSE Nara Bronze, sold
2016 Volvo XC60 D5 AWD Lux Nav Twilight Bronze, sold
2020 Range Rover Evoque P250 First Edition, Nolita grey, sold
2023 Range Rover Evoque P300e Autobiography, Carpathian grey 

Post #356102nd Jan 2006 7:53 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
10forcash

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Robbi,
depends upon the natural habitat, if it's Tesco's carpark - or any other generic supermarket retailer - then the sidesteps with rubbing strips combo is best

If it's offroad, then go for the rock slider bars, with side rubbing strips. The bars won't save you in the shopping forays but the rubbing strips will prevent all but the most determined

none of which will protect you from the jealous scroat with a key, of course Rolling Eyes

Post #356112nd Jan 2006 7:59 pm
DrLex

Iceland 

WOODY179 wrote:

I have both the rubbing strips and the side steps and I believe that they will protect the doors from being dented by most cars. I also leave my car in off road height when in car parks as this almost guarantees that the side step will take the impact if someone opens their door into my car.

Quick tests confirm such, the only likely exception being another off-roader or high-access vehicle. I'm also happy with the way the steps keep the mud splashes down.
 Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana

Member of Club Med Sucks 

Post #359214th Jan 2006 2:25 pm
Discoverynovice

England 

Is it possible to fit rubbing strips yourself or is that definately a dealer job?

Pete

Post #3801718th Jan 2006 1:42 pm
10forcash

stuckinthemud wrote:
Is it possible to fit rubbing strips yourself or is that definately a dealer job?

Pete
Easy peasy lemon squeezy!! best to do it on a warm day though!
I was a bit worried about potential problems with paint protection applied but they've stuck like s Censored t to a blanket! Shocked

Post #3801918th Jan 2006 1:50 pm
Discoverynovice

England 

10forcash wrote:
stuckinthemud wrote:

Pete
Easy peasy lemon squeezy!! best to do it on a warm day though!
I was a bit worried about potential problems with paint protection applied but they've stuck like s Censored t to a blanket! Shocked

Are they simply stuck on then? Or is it a bit more technical than that? I am to DIY and car maintenance what Tony Blair is to telling the truth!! - so it has to be easy for me to have a go!!

Pete

Post #3803118th Jan 2006 2:14 pm
Nickhearne

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

Stick on job!
 Range Rover Sport Estate 2.0 P400e Hse Dynamic Black
D4 HSE Santorini Black
Almond Arabica hide & Walnut trim Now sold
Discovery 3 TDV6 SE
Zambezi Silver Ebony leather Now sold 

Post #3803218th Jan 2006 2:21 pm
scorpio

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Arctic FrostDiscovery 3

robbi wrote:
DrLex wrote:

Robbi look at the side steps on a RRS as they seem to be well hidden under those door mouldings and may not offer the protection you reqyuire

Post #3805318th Jan 2006 5:33 pm
10forcash

robbi wrote:
side steps and razor wire combo should do the trick Wink

p.s. is the reduced quote OK Slimer? Whistle Wink

Post #3808818th Jan 2006 10:36 pm
Slimer
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

Spot on TFC Thumbs Up
 The End  
Post #3808918th Jan 2006 10:37 pm
10forcash

Slimer wrote:
Spot on TFC Thumbs Up
Laughing Laughing Laughing errrrr..... Embarassed Embarassed  
Post #3809518th Jan 2006 10:43 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >