Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Australia & New Zealand

HELP - Query re Electric Trailer Brakes
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
StornowaySA

Australia 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 4
HELP - Query re Electric Trailer Brakes

All, this old POST seems to indicate that there is a Plug up under teh dash near the top of the brake pedal that can be used to connect Electric Trailer Brakes without having to wire the Brake Controller in.

Is this only on USA cars? has someone in OZ connected Electric Brakes using this plug?

http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/post114520.html#114520
 MY2010 D4 HSE 3.0, e-diff, 19inch MTR's; LLAMS Height adjustor, LR f & r light guards, LR side steps, LR bright finish side door mouldings; LR/Mantec G4 front bash plate, LR G4 Winch kit, Warn 9500lb Winch; GOE compressor guard, Uniden UHF, LR bright finish roof rails, LR G4 driving light kit, LR G4 ladder, 4 x extra rear compartment 12V sockets, Traxide dual battery system and Optima Yellowtop battery, ORS drawer system / fridge slide, LED rear compartment lighting.  
Post #2414477th Jan 2008 7:03 am
norto

Australia 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Chawton WhiteDiscovery 3

BP
What brand of brake controller are you using
 Pete  
Post #2414587th Jan 2008 9:07 am
StornowaySA

Norto, havent bought one yet; I have been researching with a view to simply getting a Hayman Reece one; then I came upon this thread and thought "hello" that sounds interesting - a pre wired plug, even I could do that - especially given the LR dealer in Perth quoited $350 to fit one!!! ("need to do alot of wiring".)
 MY2010 D4 HSE 3.0, e-diff, 19inch MTR's; LLAMS Height adjustor, LR f & r light guards, LR side steps, LR bright finish side door mouldings; LR/Mantec G4 front bash plate, LR G4 Winch kit, Warn 9500lb Winch; GOE compressor guard, Uniden UHF, LR bright finish roof rails, LR G4 driving light kit, LR G4 ladder, 4 x extra rear compartment 12V sockets, Traxide dual battery system and Optima Yellowtop battery, ORS drawer system / fridge slide, LED rear compartment lighting.  
Post #2414597th Jan 2008 9:10 am
RichardK

Australia 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Atacama SandDiscovery 3

Hello BP, what brand of EBC is it, I have got the prodigy, the wiring for that has to be picked up from the rear bezel of the LHS and a diode fitted. Have a look at this link

http://www.aulro.com/afvb/d3-zone/48308-pr...oller.html

Post #2415327th Jan 2008 1:24 pm
catweasel

I have the prodigy and wether spliced in at the cold side of the brake switch or in the rear with the trailer fuses makes no difference. I do not have a diode fitted nor see the need for one as it is only in operation whilst the controller is fitted and whilst I am braking and provides an input supply to the controller and should have no backfeed to the CJB.
BlackPerth, after Trils post I looked for this mysterious connector and could not find it on my vehicle. you may have to get under the dash and have a good look for it to confirm or deny this.
PCH you stated in your email that when manually operated your brake lights no longer work which seems incorrect to me (and is illegal) and this method is flawed. it may not concern you but the guy that rear ends you might be a tad Censored .

Post #2415427th Jan 2008 1:46 pm
PCH

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

catweasel wrote:
PCH you stated in your email that when manually operated your brake lights no longer work which seems incorrect to me (and is illegal) and this method is flawed. it may not concern you but the guy that rear ends you might be a tad Censored .

CW, I've wired it according to the LR "recommended way". I agree with you about brake lights not coming on if I manually operate the brakes but I doubt that I'll be trying to stop the D3 plus tralier using the manual brake button. Rewiring stretched my electrical expertise as it was and I don't know why the override button works differently now I've wired it the LR way.

RichardK, if you read this post tell us if your manual brake lever/button turns your brake lights on.

Chris
 2011 Discovery 4 (MY12) SDV6 HSE with General Grabber AT's, Traxide Aux Battery system, custom rear drawers and Autosafe half height cargo barrier

Gone - 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE
ARB Bull Bar, Warn 9.5XP Winch, IPF D/Lights, Cooper STT's, LR Raised Air Intake, Traxide aux battery system, custom drawers and half height Autosafe cargo barrier, Mitchell Bros 4x4 tow hitch 

Post #2417517th Jan 2008 10:51 pm
StornowaySA

Thanks all, I will check if the mysterious plug is there and if not so be it I'll proceed with the full wiring path. Just wanted to see if any Aussies had done it! Cheers!
Post #2418548th Jan 2008 4:33 am
muppo

Australia 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

PCH wrote:
catweasel wrote:

CW, I've wired it according to the LR "recommended way". I agree with you about brake lights not coming on if I manually operate the brakes but I doubt that I'll be trying to stop the D3 plus tralier using the manual brake button. Rewiring stretched my electrical expertise as it was and I don't know why the override button works differently now I've wired it the LR way.

RichardK, if you read this post tell us if your manual brake lever/button turns your brake lights on.

Chris

The diode stops the lights working in manual mode, thats what diodes do, only let power flow one way.
 Live it like it's your last!  
Post #2418568th Jan 2008 5:49 am
catweasel

which is why it is flawed. the diode if you choose to use one can be installed and still allow the manual override to work.not having a go PCH just concerned with the install.

Post #2418628th Jan 2008 7:51 am
Sniegy

Australia 2010 Discovery 4 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Alaska WhiteDiscovery 4

Hi guys,
Catweasel i understand what you are saying wrt to diodes etc, BUT this is what LR Aust want to be done, if not then the warranty may be void. I can only suggest what he worhshop has been told from LRA.
All the connections are done via the L/H/R fuse block.
Chris, I also dont understand why your lights on the EBC dont work either, with the prodigy from memory it only works if the trailer is connected (I may be wrong, just cant remember). The earlier EBC units (Hayman Reece, Kelsey Hayes etc) will work without the trailer & will light up when brakes applied, they should also work when u push the controller lever across & get brighter the further across as u go.
BlackPerth, I have searched for this plug & as of yet have not found it, i have had 2 D3 dash's apart & cant find this elusive plug...still trying, if i do find it i will post. It will make my job easier to.
Cheers all.
 D4 Alaska/Almond 2.7 TDV6 with E-diff & extra's.. Smile

Keep smilin' Smile Pete. 

Post #2419298th Jan 2008 11:47 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
catweasel

Sniegy wrote:
wrt to diodes etc, BUT this is what LR Aust want to be done, if not then the warranty may be void.
I wish I had your faith in LRA. the diode can still be used if you wish , the location is wrong in my opinion to allow the manual override to function correctly.
warranty, do they still honour that Question

muppo, install a gate and attatch a firing card and watch the diode flow both ways that's what they can also do. Thumbs Up

Post #2419558th Jan 2008 12:43 pm
Martin Krutli

Australia 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Chawton WhiteDiscovery 3
Electric Brakes

Had a Prodigy installed in mine by Electric Brake in Adelaide (they also installed the Prodigy I had previously in my Pajero). It works exactly the same as in the Pajero. Without the trailor attached the operating LED comes on at the first touch of the brake pedal and stays on untill ignition has been off for a few mins.

With the trailor attached, it provides readout on either depressing the brale pedal or operating the maual over-ride. Must say I haven't vhecked to see if the brake lights come on just with operation of the manual over-ride.

Very happy with the install job (as I was with the previous one), but no idea as to how it's wired!

Cheers.
Martin
 MY08 TDV6 SE. White/Alpaca. BFG265/65/18 At's
Autologic, Trackside Dual Battery syst., Remote GME UHF, 4X4 Intelligence rear wheel carrier, Boab removable rear drawer system w National Luna fridge, Mitchell Bros hitch.
Rasta Plate. 110L LRA long-range fuel tank. 

Post #2423549th Jan 2008 1:05 am
catweasel

Martin do you get NC initially without the trailer and c with it..

Post #2423799th Jan 2008 8:22 am
Martin Krutli

Australia 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Chawton WhiteDiscovery 3
Electric Brakes

Hi Catweasel,

So far only had my Xmas away experience, but I don't recall ever seeing NC (presumably not connected). Yes, first thing that comes up on connection is C, followed by voltage readout of brake level as soon as I put my foot on the brake pedal.

Cheers.
 MY08 TDV6 SE. White/Alpaca. BFG265/65/18 At's
Autologic, Trackside Dual Battery syst., Remote GME UHF, 4X4 Intelligence rear wheel carrier, Boab removable rear drawer system w National Luna fridge, Mitchell Bros hitch.
Rasta Plate. 110L LRA long-range fuel tank. 

Post #2424219th Jan 2008 10:57 am
norto

Australia 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Chawton WhiteDiscovery 3

My EBC has stopped woking, but testS out ok when
out of the vehicle.
Previously when the ignition was turned completely off
and the brake pedal was pressed while sliding the EBC
override switch the dash lights would light up completely Shocked
Any ideas
 Pete  
Post #25238329th Jan 2008 6:48 am
Post Reply Back to top