DISCO3.CO.UK > Australia & New Zealand

EAS what to do next?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
wopac5

Australia 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Chawton WhiteDiscovery 3
EAS what to do next?

Hello everybodies...
In an earlier post, I told the story of woe of needing to change out the EAS compressor. I had managed to hit the housing hard leading to the breaking of the alloy support bracket, which put load onto the commpressors's pressed metal supports . In the first instance, I changed the alloy support only, and found I had a severe vibration running through the chassis. I put this down to the comressor metal supports being twisted / distorted, and was unable to satisfactoally straighten them. So I have bought a new compressor and rubber mounts and fitted it up. Unfortunately, I am still left with a vibration (although not as noticable) running through the vehicle when the compressor runs. I guess I notice it more than some because I know it' there, and don't remeber noticing it prior to the damage done. Is it posible I have missed something? like bushings between the alloy support and chassis? or am I too sesitive?

Post #25825111th Feb 2008 10:50 pm
caverD3

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Alloy support may not be in right possition?
All you can do is make sure the copmressor is well away fro the body and insulate with cosed cell foam. Very Happy
 â€œThere are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games”
Ernest Hemmingway
D4 3.0 Active Diff, Adaptive Lights, High Beam Assist, Surround Cameras, Privacy Glass.
D3 2.7:Adaptive Headlights,Electronic Rear Diff,ARB Bar,Blaupunkt Speakers,JVC Powered Subwoofer,Removable Snorkel,Mitch Hitch,Pioneer After Market Head Unit,Steering Wheel Control Adaptor,Remote Adjustable Supension Rod System, Taxside Dual Battery System. 

Post #25828912th Feb 2008 12:12 am
wopac5

Hi Caver,
I'm sure the bracket is in the correct location as it will only fir one way. I worked on the theory that if all the replacement bits are genuine, then it should give me a good as new result.
The only thing I can see that maybe a source is at the compressor. The main supports are bolted onto the rubber mounts 2 points, but there is a smaller knob on the base of the compressor that sits into a small hole in the bracket. There appears to be no insulator at this point, and the compressor appears not to be a tight fit. I will fit up a piece of dense rubber at this point between the compressor housing and bracket and see, but would have thought that if it were required the housing would be pre fitted.

Post #25829912th Feb 2008 3:33 am
caverD3

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Good luck wopac5
Very Happy
 â€œThere are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games”
Ernest Hemmingway
D4 3.0 Active Diff, Adaptive Lights, High Beam Assist, Surround Cameras, Privacy Glass.
D3 2.7:Adaptive Headlights,Electronic Rear Diff,ARB Bar,Blaupunkt Speakers,JVC Powered Subwoofer,Removable Snorkel,Mitch Hitch,Pioneer After Market Head Unit,Steering Wheel Control Adaptor,Remote Adjustable Supension Rod System, Taxside Dual Battery System. 

Post #25830212th Feb 2008 5:09 am
Rob Bruce

Australia 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Maya GoldDiscovery 3

Wopac,
How expencive is the compressor ? Your problem , me and others is that the compressor is in a bad position, it gets hit, gets wet, gets dust and the plastic gard gets full of mud, my plastic gard is all broken at the front.
This has had me thinking of mooving it to the engine bay in front of the battery, apart from the job of mooving it the problems I can see are, Is it too hot in the engine bay? A heat shield could be made. Also in the present position it is wraped in foam which would not help cooling. Eneyway this is something to seriously look at when my warrenty runs out. Some of the experts no dout will be able to comment as to how feasable this would be.

Rob

Post #25830812th Feb 2008 7:39 am
Rob Bruce

Wopac,
Back to your problem, I have noticed the compressor is very softly mounted and you can moove it around with ease, it seems very well insulated not to transmit vibration, so something must be touching. If I open the window the compressor can be heard but all shut it is just detectable.
Good luck

Rob

Post #25831112th Feb 2008 7:52 am
wopac5

Rob,
How expensive: Alloy bracket...close as it gets to $200, compressor $960. I have kept the old one which works fine, and find a way to straighten out the pressed metal supports. Then I have a spare / replacement, for the next time. longer term, it may end up on Ebay.
The change out was done by my young bloke at his work, being the nominated local dealer, took about 2 hours, and requires the computer hook up to depressure / repressure the sytem to pull the compressor (Thanks Wiggs for the info from a previous post) Thumbs Up I agree an under bonnet fit up would be a much better option.

Post #25831312th Feb 2008 8:15 am
Rob Bruce

Wopac,
Luckey to have a LR mechanic in the family Exclamation The price of the compressor Big Cry it must be gold plated Shocked It does not look aneything special, I assume it has a very long duty cycle or at least much longer than the ones we use in the bush to inflate tires. Wonder what the specs, on it are ?

Rob

Post #25832812th Feb 2008 9:37 am
GC

Australia 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Atacama SandDiscovery 3

Wopac

When mine was brand new one of the bolts holding the housing was slightly loose and caused a vibration through the chassis under the bosses seat. Thought I could make a quid if I could replicate it. Would like to think your problem could be as easy to fix as a turn of a nut.

gc

Post #25837412th Feb 2008 11:16 am
wopac5

GC,
Got the yopung 'un tuned in for the weekend to pull the cover and have a look, although I'm sure everything is as it should be (The boy is pretty good), but might find something that needs some extra padding. There is only 3 points of security for the compressor to the alloy frameand all are rubber bushed, and the same for the frame to chassis which are not bushed, , will let you know if we find anything silly.

Post #25839512th Feb 2008 12:36 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >