DISCO3.CO.UK > Australia & New Zealand

Not a Good Failure to Have in the Outback
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
DingMark

Iraq 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Ipanema SandDiscovery 4

pbhawkin wrote:
Hi Dingmark,
I was in Dubbo last week and saw your car on a hoist...NO they weren't doing any work on it!
I am surprised by how close Maya Gold is to Atacama Sand!...very nice anyway.
Paul the service manager, said they were still waiting on parts!

Peter

Peter,

Thanks much for the independent assessment of the status of my D3. It's reasurring that what you said exactly confirms what I've been told by the dealer. Did you get a chance to see the damaged items?

To give the dealer credit, they've been doing an excellent job of keeping me informed as to why work wasn't progressing. Even to the extent of 7pm phone calls (their time). There've been several instances of wrong parts in the correct box (since my D3 is a V8, the brakes are bigger which changes everything and it is unusual). I did tell them on 10 Jan when it arrived unannounced on their driveway that (a) I would rather they fix is properly the first time than quickly, and (b) I wouldn't be able to return to pick it up until Easter. Both requests are (hopefully) becoming reality. I'm rather used to these problems, as a project manager of offshore gas developments. It never ceases to amaze me that someone can put the wrong $1 million part in a box and send it to an offshore location where the ultimate re-install costs another $2 million, but it's sadly pretty common. Dubbo is as far down the world's distribution chain as is Perth (as no doubt Mudegee, so the same problem always arises. However, the Dubbo dealer is much better at pre-emptively and honestly keeping me informed than do offshore kit providers.

I'm planning to pick the D3 up with my 22 yr old neurotic daughter (isn't that an unusual mix of characteristics?) the Thursday before Easter and head off to Coffin Bay Nat'l Park and Cape Arid Nat'l Park (WA - 200 km East of Esperance) so I really do hope that the fix is perfect. I may not use the parking brake much on this trip, though "just in case" Rolling Eyes I also can only fathom what a 220 litre fill of Premium Unleaded on the Nullabor costs. I'm in the oil business but it still hurts.

I agree with your assessment of the colour. I bought the D3 despite the colour as I initially thought it a bit "Hong Kong-ish", but it has grown on me. Particularly in WA it blends in very nicely with our (lack of?) vegetation.
 Jim Dowell - D4 HSE TDi, 12,000 hydraulic winch & hidden winch mount, MTRs, TyreDog, Traxide 2 x aux battery system, fixed air compressor, Dolium roof rack, MitchHitch.
RIP 2005 D3 HSE V8 5 seater gold (stolen and torched) 

Post #27020810th Mar 2008 1:35 am
DingMark

Iraq 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Ipanema SandDiscovery 4

A follow-up post-mortem. Got the gold beast back from the Dubbo dealer the afternoon before Good Friday, hooked up the trailer and commenced driving towards Perth. Absolutely no problems in 5,000 kms and the parking brake is quieter than ever. The dealer had to set up the D3 to align the rear end (something about hammering on a disk brake for 3 hours messing this up) and even threw in a free front-end alignment. I can't complain. Nearly 1,000 of this was on either barely-existent 4WD roads, sand dunes, beaches or corrogated roads and all worked a treat. Nearly rattled the trailer to bits but the D3 survived just fine. So other than a few trips between Perth and Dubbo, all is okay. Very Happy
 Jim Dowell - D4 HSE TDi, 12,000 hydraulic winch & hidden winch mount, MTRs, TyreDog, Traxide 2 x aux battery system, fixed air compressor, Dolium roof rack, MitchHitch.
RIP 2005 D3 HSE V8 5 seater gold (stolen and torched) 

Post #28929121st Apr 2008 4:49 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >