DISCO3.CO.UK > Australia & New Zealand

OT: Citroen 2CV "Raid"-Western Aust-re. towns/faci
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
simon_arch1

Australia 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3
OT: Citroen 2CV "Raid"-Western Aust-re. towns/faci

To WA members...
I have friends that do some of our harder touring trips in yes, a Citroen 2CV... this years "Raid" is from Kalgoorlie to nr Kununurra (Pentecost River corsing). They've asked me if I know what size towns they'll be going through - what sort of facilities and shopping will be available... Well - I don't know - but hoped that some of you might...

Below is the entire route (and you can view more at http://www.raidaustralia.com/) - the main "towns" being:
- Kalgoorlie, Wiluna, Meekalharra?, Newman, Marble Bar, Broome, Derby, Wyndham, Kununurra.

Any advice on what sort of supplies, food mainly, might be available in those stops would be great.

cheers,

Simon

-------------------
After departing Kalgoorlie we head East along the Trans Continental Railway line until the start of the Great Victoria Desert where we have our first bush camp. We then head north via Queen Victoria Springs, through marginal station country, past Lake Minigwal and Lake Carey to Laverton.

Reflection in a rock pool en route to Laverton

We continue north through station country and desert ranges to the Gunbarrel Highway where we turn south west & travel along the lower section of the Canning Stock Route through the Little Sandy Desert.

We then head north again and past Mt Augustus National Park and the gorges around Wittenoom before heading into the Great Sandy Desert via Newman and Nullagine.

When duly parched we return from the desert to Marble Bar before passing through the De Grey River, visiting the 80 Mile Beach and travelling up to Derby.

Sharing the road with other users - wild dromedary camels

The final section is the Gibb River Road through the Kimberley. The Raid Party is on 3 September 2008 near the Pentecost River only 70km from the blacktop near Kununurra.

The final day of the Raid, on 4 September 2008 is the Pentecost River crossing. It is expected that those wanting an early departure can cross the river at the sunrise low tide. Those who wish to take it easy can cross later in the afternoon.

The raid is approximately 4,500km in length consisting of 3,500km of varying surfaces from tracks to bush highways and about 1,000km of blacktop.

Once the Pentecost has been crossed and you have reached the blacktop you can head the odd 50km to Kununurra, or head south to Perth.
 D3 - Buckingham Blue, SE, TDV6, 06 model; chipped; underbody armour; Mickey Thompson ATZ 275/65-18 AND MAXXIS Bighorn muddies; rear wheel carrier from 4x4intelligence.com; iPOD aux connection! GME 3200 UHF - aerial mounted on wheel carrier Smile; LR roof rails/cross bars; Autosafe cargo barrier, Safari Snorkel; Traxide - aux battery; ARB bull bar with Tigerz11 winch; Lightforce 240 XGT driving lights (mitchell bros tow hitch to come)  
Post #2546684th Feb 2008 2:17 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
White Disco

Australia 

That. In That. Shocked
Good Luck to Your friends Simon.
 Did you think I would leave you crying,
When there's room in my D3 for 7,
Climb in here Joe we'll soon be flying,
I can go just as fast with 7.

2005 TDV6 S with Terrain Response (& all that entails), Tasmods (gorn). 2008 TDV6 HSE (gone). A Dark Side umbrella (here) & car (here).

Volkswagen Golf (SWMBO's)
Datsun Insult (SWTSMBOBIO22SHOMSAH)
Datsun Insult (SWTSMBOBIO19SHOMSAH)

4 BMW's (Stents, not the silly cars)

Formerly RED DISCO 

Post #2547094th Feb 2008 10:16 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
bushbasher

Australia 2007 Discovery 3 4.0 V6 Petrol SE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3
raid

I only know about Wiluna, a lot of travellers who were heading for the Canning stock route, stayed at the mine site where I was working. They used to set up camp in the car park and use the camp wet and dry mess for the evening. They paid a nominal fee for their evening meal (around $5 each when I was there). I would double check this with the mine site as it has just been taken over by another company.
The mine site is Wiluna gold and is only 5 kms from the town centre, which consists of a fuel station, repair garage,supermarket and pub.hope this helps.

Post #2561777th Feb 2008 6:43 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >